Shredded Paper Or Straw ?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't understand the talk of great for soaking urine up etc. If the dogs have a good routine their runs should stay pretty much un-soiled anyway.

My view exactly. I also think them rubber matts provide little heat in cold weather the terriers body is very expose, in straw they make there own bed a circle type and can be somewhat hidden in it. I

I use badger pelts in Hungary ther clean warm tough and soft and if any mess just blast em off and dry em and for some reason they don't chew them up

Posted Images

Used to bed mine on shavings, had a couple have an allergic reaction to straw over the years, faces blew up like they'd been stung! Used paper (shredded) for awhile, just preferred shavings, nice thick bed and change regular...

Yokel

• Like 2

Rubber matting with a piece of Vet bed thrown in. I have about 20 squares of the stuff and I just rotate it. Throw it in the washing machine job done.

Some of the pups turf it out into there run but never rip it up.

Had straw in the past but found it gets everywhere. I wouldn't use anything else now.

Wheaten straw I use. I've used all sorts and have come back to it. Only downfall I have with it it's much messier in the kennels to sweep up and if it gets in the drain ooooo fxxk. But it provides a good warm bed

Good wheaten straw IMO can't be beaten.

Paper's good but seems to end up in the house ,via your feet, more than anything.

If using shavings IMO dogs have to be fed away from their bench and you can't even give them a bone to keep them quiet in their kennel or they'll swallow a lot of shavings.

I know they'll swallow straw too but it seems to go through them.

Hay and Barley straw is a big NO, too dirty.

I used to use cow mats until I started to see bits of rubber in their crap.

My view exactly. I also think them rubber matts provide little heat in cold weather the terriers body is very expose, in straw they make there own bed a circle type and can be somewhat hidden in it. I've often put my hand in when there's frost on the ground and can feel heat from the straw. Nothing like a cosy bed.

• Like 5

Oaten straw is the best straw you will get zero chaff to stick in dogs skin and no lice living in the hollows of it. There is no soakage in wax paper if water bowls turn over and shredded paper is great for pups but diabolical to clean up it even sticks on the roof ?. Clean wood shavings are good for pups too as saw dust has too much powder and I've heard of Young pups getting there nostrils blocked and dying. Ideally for adult dogs I'd put oaten straw in the sleeping box and wood shavings in outer kennel area as long as it's not open to weather. Shredded paper in pups sleeping box it's nice and soft and great to soak urine and wood shavings in outer area.

• Like 1

I don't understand the talk of great for soaking urine up etc. If the dogs have a good routine their runs should stay pretty much un-soiled anyway.

read the post it says pups. They are not born toilet trained.