I Swore I'd Never Buy Another Ultra

I had an Ultra se about 18 months ago - maybe it was a Friday afternoon job but, I'd never known such a crap rifle. The shot count was poor, the power peak was extreme and, I just couldn't get it to be accurate.

....... I tried loads of pellets at different cylinder pressures - eventually, it looked like I was getting 20ish decent shots at around 160bar.

Eventually, I took it to my permission. I checked the zero when I got there, topped up the air to 160bar and, set off for a walk.

...... the first target was a woody, sat on a fence, no more than 30yrds off. I steadied the rifle on another fence, took aim just back from it's eye - a nice easy side on shot ;)

The pellet hit low and right - into the face, just below the beak. The pigeon went nuts - flapping about all over the ground :o

I put the rifle down and ran after it but, it wasn't easy to catch - sometimes it was 6ft in the air, then it'd be racing along the ground - that was probably my worse result so far :no:

I eventually caught it and finished it off.

I checked the rifle again against a target - the air pressure had barely changed but, now it was shooting all over the place. I know it wasn't the scope because I've used in on other rifles before and after that shambles.

That little Ultra didn't last long after that.

Fast forward a bit and, I've been chopping and changing rifles again..... :rolleyes:

I recently picked up a .177 BSA Superten - I do like those and, I wanted it to be a good 'un but, it turned out to be a basket case. The regulator was leaking and, giving a very poor, erratic shot count :(

While I was at the shop, returning it, I spotted a BSA Ultra max se limited edition.

It was a nice looking thing - black pepper laminate stock and, full Huggett shroud and silencer - I thought 'Ooh, I'll have a look at that' :D

These were sold through the Airgun Center. It was used but it's in excellent condition. It came with the original hard case and a certificate stating that it's number 63/100 made :thumbs:

Sod it, I've had a birthday lately so, I took it home :thumbs:

I've been wanting a compact rifle again for a while - my HW100 is truly excellent but, it's a b*****d to stalk with at night. This Ultra seems to fit the bill very well :yes:

As it's a treat to me, I've given it a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42, some double strap BKL mounts and, a MEC III butpad :good:

post-102688-0-85790000-1494167439_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had an Ultra se about 18 months ago - maybe it was a Friday afternoon job but, I'd never known such a crap rifle. The shot count was poor, the power peak was extreme and, I just couldn't get it to b

Nice looking gun, better with black mounts.

I don't usually spend this sort of money on glass - to be fair, I don't think it's needed for an air rifle but, it is nice   I'm a big fan of Hawke Airmax but, I can see a difference with this.

Posted Images

I've had it down at Black Cat HFT today. After a few different pellets, it seems to really like Bisley Magnums.

I tried the different pellets at a target first then, leaded in with the Bis Mags :thumbs:

After a good few shots, the grouping shrunk down very well :)

The butt pad really helps the rifle come into position well and, this scope is something else - after a chrono test and a few standing shots - im chuffed to bits :yes:

...... from a 220 bar fill, it's giving 6 mags with no real difference in POI at 35yrds :thumbs:

I think it's a very nice looking little rifle but, I'm not into cabinet queens - I'm looking forward to giving this it's proper go with the NS Viper on Tuesday night :)

The only other thing I did was order a £2.99 sticker to cover the Airgun Centre logo - Sometimes it's best if people just don't know what's in there ;)

post-102688-0-42321500-1494168814.jpg

post-102688-0-70073500-1494168826_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

nice gun mate nowt wrong with a good ultra and that goes for any good gun . they all have the same potential if used correct and theres plenty of quarry to be had . dosent matter if they cost 400 or 1000 the end results the same ?

• Like 1

nice gun mate nowt wrong with a good ultra and that goes for any good gun . they all have the same potential if used correct and theres plenty of quarry to be had . dosent matter if they cost 400 or 1000 the end results the same ?

Quite right mate :yes:

I've just got to hope that I can do it justice now :thumbs:

Nice looking gun, better with black mounts. :D

I agree mate :yes:

But, for this, I really wanted BKLs and typically, they only had the silver ones :rolleyes:

...... I'm hoping the rabbits don't mind :laugh:

Crows will see your bling long before you see them. :laugh: Rabbits love bling. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Nice scope! :thumbs:

I don't usually spend this sort of money on glass - to be fair, I don't think it's needed for an air rifle but, it is nice :thumbs:

I'm a big fan of Hawke Airmax but, I can see a difference with this.

• Like 2

Nice looking gun, better with black mounts. :D

I agree mate :yes:

But, for this, I really wanted BKLs and typically, they only had the silver ones :rolleyes:

...... I'm hoping the rabbits don't mind :laugh:

Crows will see your bling long before you see them. :laugh: Rabbits love bling. :thumbs:

In that case, I'm glad I pinched some scrim while I was shooting round by the paintball club ;):laugh:

• Like 1

looks well that jon :thumbs:

thought you might have buckled to the other grey laminate!

gonna make your nighttime manoeuvres far more enjoyable..

i needed a backpack full of bricks for the 510 with n/v on :laugh:

have a good one tuesday

atb si

• Like 1

The only Ultras I like, the SE ones, that is how it should have been made from the start with a rear bolt! Looks like yours is on a Bisley Magnums diet then!

I've never tried an MMC mate but, I did see your recent debate with Catatonia :whistling::laugh:

To be fair though, that MMC mechanism does look like a ballache.

I'm going to do a little bit more testing with these Bis Mags before Tuesday but, the seem good to go at the moment :yes:

My daughters Goldstar se loves them. I know it's a different riffle but, they hit with one hell of a crack :thumbs: