Scabbed And Bleeding Paws And Between Toes.

The vet reckons it doesn't live in the environment or dog bedding, it's just down to a weak immune system. I don't know if it'll come back, I'll be watching for it from now on though.

The only good thing he did say is its only passed from the bitch and not the dog.

Edited by dillydog

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Living the good life, two hiding out of the sun, no contact with anything but water

Try neat benzyl benzoate ... rub it in to badly infected areas and allow to dry naturally Available online with instructions . Th.

It looks like my terrier at his worst, it'll be a secondary infection in the skin, mine could hardly walk. Try the cefalexin, it made a big difference. He bled from the smallest knock or bang, even

Posted Images

He had eight weeks of panomec, once a day at 0.6 ml !

I had my doubts, especially when he said give it orally, I thought it would be the end of him. He's back to 100% he's happy in himself and he's back in work lol.

I found another tip online, I was spraying his feet with apple cider vinegar at a 50/50 dilution with water. I don't know if it helped but he's back to himself and I'm glad I did everything I could, I remember when it was a death sentence for a dog back in the day

Fair play dilly getting him back to normal.

Plenty of perseverance on your part.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The trouble with giving ivermectine or anything ivermectine based is it does the dogs immune system's job by killing the demadect if that's what it is.The problem then is that the dermadectic mange is very likely to come back as the dog hasn't built an immunity to it.A friend of mine was telling me he had a litter of pups that have all reached adulthood completely healthy he repeated the mating and kept 4 pups to run on at 12 weeks he treated them with advocate as it came as part of a deal when he got them vaccinated at the vets and 2 weeks later they all went down with dermadectic mange.

The trouble with giving ivermectine or anything ivermectine based is it does the dogs immune system's job by killing the demadect if that's what it is.The problem then is that the dermadectic mange is very likely to come back as the dog hasn't built an immunity to it.A friend of mine was telling me he had a litter of pups that have all reached adulthood completely healthy he repeated the mating and kept 4 pups to run on at 12 weeks he treated them with advocate as it came as part of a deal when he got them vaccinated at the vets and 2 weeks later they all went down with dermadectic mange.

I was told by a pigeon man a while back that ivermectin damages the liver if it's true and does this in pigeons whose to say it won't do the same in dogs. And if your using it on pups all the way through there life there could be potentially a lot of liver damage to the dog. That's why I ordered the Diatomaceous earth Feed grade, it's got a lot of pluses for me not least it being natural and chemical free gives me a little bit peace of mind I'm doing right by my wards.

• Like 1

Genuine question though Mole. If this DE stuff is so effective how come everyone doesn't use it and why don't all the pet shops etc sell it?

In my opinion there's more money in chemicals mate, I've only just found out about the stuff myself. I've put it on my dogs last week and I haven't seen them playing the guitar since, as I say it goes through there food as well. As I said I've spread it through my poly tunnel and I'm starting to see dead slugs so all good so far for me.

Atb MOLE.

• Like 1

DE is carcinogenic, particularly if it's inhaled - it's very good for controlling external parasites like mite but it works by drying them out and damaging there skin/exoskeleton so it's pretty much useless inside an animal when it's been wetted.

For Demodex mange the easiest, most effective treatment is giving a single dose of Bravecto but it's not licensed for treating mange (yet), it's less harsh on the system than repeated ivermectin dosing

• Like 1

DE is carcinogenic, particularly if it's inhaled - it's very good for controlling external parasites like mite but it works by drying them out and damaging there skin/exoskeleton so it's pretty much useless inside an animal when it's been wetted.

For Demodex mange the easiest, most effective treatment is giving a single dose of Bravecto but it's not licensed for treating mange (yet), it's less harsh on the system than repeated ivermectin dosing

I used to work in the insulation industry and I know how dangerous any type of dust can be, when I opened the bag of D.E. food grade I noticed how fine it was and the light brown colour first thing I thought of this looks like brown asbestos, I also kept pigeons for years fine airborne dust (bloom) in the the loft atmosphere all the time, I'm well used to wearing a mask and will do so when using D. E. food grade I use a full face respirator type mask.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

I've heard a few things about Bravecto lately as I've been doing a lot of reading up lately as I've got a young bitch here suffering with the same symptoms that have been spoken about in this thread which flared up about a month after I used advocate.Ive tried loads of different scrubs and shampoos as well as changing diet but I'm really reluctant to use ivomec on her.The problem is getting a vet to prescribe it as like you've said it's not licensed yet as a treatment for demodec.

Just tell the vet you want bravecto as a flea preventative then and don't mention mange?

Both mine get bravecto tabs and it cleared up a weird patch on the terrier and I've not seen a flea since I started using them.

Edited by gnipper