Omg This Is Harder Than I Thought.

I have now more or less sorted my gun for bell target shooting which is an S200t in .177. I fitted the diopter sights this morning and went about setting zero at 10mt although the gun will need to be changed to 6mt zero for bell target but the range lighting doesn't give enough light at that range to even see the 8mm spot that I need to practice on.

It is not so easy to set zero with diopter sights as you don't completely cover the front sight edges with the pin hole rear sight resulting in a ring around the front sight. Not easy to explain but you have to judge that the ring of light around the front sight is even all round AND get the front sight aiming ring with an even space around the target spot. I am not sure if that makes sense................sorry.

One of my jobs at the show this weekend is to find some front sight inserts to try and make the aiming a little more precise than it is at the moment.

Anyway, zero finally done with a mag of 10 pellets all in a nice tight group, bench rested, despite the issues with the sights. Okay, time to shoot freehand 'Oh my god' it was really difficult in fact it was more like 1/4 choke of my shotgun but as they say Rome was not built in a day so the old words of wisdom spring to mind being ....................................practice practice practice and I will once I have got hold of some more sight inserts.

When you start on a new aspect of shooting and like any other sport, it takes time to master the technique and for me, this is no exception. It will be a learning curve but I will get there.

This afternoon I am rigging a portable light to take to the range in order to work at the required 6mt.

DSCF3419_zpsvedzns1t.jpg

DSCF3422_zpsrgeez6z0.jpg

DSCF3423_zpsioi7j9dz.jpg

One of the kittens fancies a go at bell target as well.

DSCF3425_zpsagtsu9ba.jpg

As you can see, I have had to modify the front sight mounting sleeve by taking off 10mm in order to get the mod on and unscrew the filler dust cap, the dust cap was popped in a friend's lathe making it slightly cone shaped at the front so that everything now comes together nicely. I will also be reducing the power level down to around 7fpe for bell target shooting and the stock will get a few tweaks to reach the final position for comfort with these diopter sights.

On the underside of the forend, there is an accessory track / rail to take bi-pods etc but I want to try to get hold of a 'Hamster' to fit in there as it will really help to keep a good left hand position but the price of a Rowan is about £300+ although not as good, I have seen another adjustable hamster for around £80 so we will see. I would love to borrow one to establish if it does help, I am guessing it does because all the target shooters use them, another item to look for at the show this weekend but I doubt there are any there.

I think one of Nath's green stock treatments will work well on this gun........................

Whilst I was in the RFD, I noticed an HW57 that was on the s/h rack, a .177 with really crappy glass on it so I took it into the range for a few shots, really nice to shoot with just a slight twang that a drop in kit would soon sort but bench rested it shot very nice indeed. The pop up pellet loader is a bit strange at first but if the rear face of the loader was white, it would be far easier to see the hole.

I have to say that I liked it very much and a fair price might see me having that, put decent glass on and it will be spot on after Charlie Caller has been commissioned to work a bit of his magic...........................food for thought.

Phil

Edited by philpot
  • Like 3

I had a look through a dioptre sight for the first time at the club a few weeks ago - Someone was doing 10mtr targets with one of the little 6ftlb Ultra JSRs :thumbs:

....... I could see how it worked well.

Phil, try the bell target with a drink in you - I reckon you might get a good score when you're a bit more relaxed.

• Like 1

I had a look through a dioptre sight for the first time at the club a few weeks ago - Someone was doing 10mtr targets with one of the little 6ftlb Ultra JSRs :thumbs:

....... I could see how it worked well.

Phil, try the bell target with a drink in you - I reckon you might get a good score when you're a bit more relaxed.

Not a bad idea Jon, not bad at all.

Phil