Had Another Go At The 97

There was nothing wrong with it but, I still fancied a tinker ...... we all know how these things go :rolleyes::D

My .177 HW97kt was running rather nicely and, it was kicking out FAPs at around 845fps but, I did start to wonder if I could find some improvement in the firing cycle and the general handling feel.

I've used TBT kits before and, knowing that Nick is a good 'un, I decided to order one of his Maxi Pro kits. It includes an HW export spring, delrin tophat and spring guide, an 8mm delrin short stroke piston extension and, some moly grease and Bum slide moly paste.

post-102688-0-73082400-1493487482_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I stripped down the rifle and gave everything a good clean in preperation ........ I really don't like stripping this one - those pins are a right ball ache :rolleyes:

As you can see, I managed to smash the first piston extension while trying to fit it - feckin' thing.

But, I decided to fit the other delrin bits while I had the rifle apart.

The shot cycle was quick but, it didn't feel nice to shoot. I gave it a go at a target and I ran it over the chrono. There was nothing wrong with its grouping but, it was now slightly warm.

I decided to put it away and order 2 more piston extensions (just in case ;)).

The missus also ordered me a red Aussie seal as one of my birthday presents :thumbs:

I ended up talking to Nick and, he asked me why I'd ordered 2 more - when I told him that I fecked up the first one, he advised me to warm the next one in hot water, put it on the worktop, hold the piston over it and, whack it with a book.

...... then he insisted on refunding me for one of the new ones - even though I cocked it up :o:good:

post-102688-0-86063200-1493487526_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-96193000-1493488456_thumb.jpg

Once I had all of the parts, I stripped the rifle down again.

The hot water and book whacking worked a treat - the extension snapped on perfectly first time :thumbs:

I fitted the Aussie seal and, tried it in the cylinder - it was bloody tight so, I got the drill and the emery cloth out for a little resizing - only a little at a time, I really didn't want to cock this up :no:

....... I left it a little tight in the hope that it'll wear in perfectly after a few hundred pellets.

post-102688-0-73886100-1493488998_thumb.jpg

When I first ordered the Maxi Pro kit, Nicks 10mm brass safety catch also caught my eye so, I put one of those in the shopping basket as well :thumbs:

Now, I really hadn't intended to fit a new stock but, while browsing the BBS forum one night, I spotted a nice SC800 stock for sale :hmm:

What to do, what to do? Keep my standard beech kt stock or, have a nice walnut thumb hole stock :whistling:

post-102688-0-11054600-1493489578_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-46791000-1493489592_thumb.jpg

I had it all finished off last night - the cups and screws in the fore end need inletting a little more to be perfectly flush but, I can do that later.

Today, I fitted my favourite sling and skived off work for a couple of hours so that I could have a zeroing and plinking session at Black Cat :D

The 97 is nice to shoot - it's a bit more docile now but, it still feels like a springer. The shot cycle is quick and, the recoil is straight back into my shoulder :good:

After around 100 pellets, it's sending FAPs on their way at around 800fps. I'll keep an eye on how this rises as everything beds in.

The targets in the picture are a little bit of zeroing and, 15 shot groups at 30 and 45yrds.

I think I may still need to either sort out my hold a bit more or, fine tune my zero a little more to the left.

This could be famous last words but, I think I'm happy with this one now :good:

post-102688-0-94271700-1493490529_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What a gent nick is. Been very helpful to me in the past too. Them kits are great arnt they!

I really rate them mate - for price Vs performance, I don't think they can be beaten.

I kept my original spring in though - the one in the kit has got a few more coils.

post-102688-0-88019100-1493491343_thumb.jpg

• Like 1