Passing Dogs On

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Believe me mate, I'd have to lie to get shot of mine. LolUnfortunately, when a mutt comes through my door it ain't going nowhere..... I'll find summat it can do, even if it's just stopping the neighbo

I'm with the majority on this one...   I bring pups in & would never move them on unless I was physically unable to take care of them.. which so far has never happened, touch wood.   If the do

As long as im happy with my dog i dont care what other folk think about them and as my wife says once we get a dog its here for life

I never have,but would re-home a dog to the right home if it wasn't the right dog for me,or I wasn't the right owner for it.

But you have to wonder how many are genuine,especially if it seems to happen often.

• Like 1

I understand the hatred for peddlers, for swappers and messers and for those that continue the misery of passed on dogs

But.....

Without a large volume of dogs to feed the market or to be tried and tested we wouldn't have top top dogs

Sad but true

Look at the volume of dogs bred and tried in coursing alone ,

If this upsets you then what can you do?

I've never felt comfortable breeding a litter of lurchers, I've always felt that if I needed a dog I could source one from elsewhere that was of a higher quality from what I had , I've always felt a lot of dogs are bred from for the wrong reasons, as it's a nice stamp or to get a pup from old jess even though old jess may be a f****n article

If you breed responsibly then fair play , but when your smashing beflington whippets over bull grey saluki greys your not breeding for the right reasons

Just my opinion, people can do what they want but personally I would never buy a pup from young parents

• Like 2

Dogs are just livestock to some,and if they can make a profit ,they will.

They think no different if it was a horse or pigeons or a car.

It don't sit right with me ,but some times dogs have to be rehomed, and you can either pet home them or home it to someone who knows what they are getting on conditions that if they can't keep it comes back. Or obviously PTS

• Like 3

some folks just don't get attached like roybo said they are like live stock. My day would be empty with out mine. Up at stupid oclock to walk the nut then the same in the evening. His hard work at times and I remember as a pup him taking off through a farmers yard after his sheep. I was waiting for the boom of a shotgun and for a second actually wanted it to come but thankfully it never did and all is well a few years later. But chopping and changing dogs is not for me

34282209966_3379c9a9e2_c.jpg

• Like 7

Just read some of these posts

Ffs it's a dog not a child

I know and grew up with people who have easily had 100 plus running dogs in their time

That's lurchers, that's the complete norm sadly

Get your drift fellah,...and truth be told, I've been no Saint when it comes to the culling game,..but I've often thought,."should I have chosen more wisely,.thought more deeply,.made better plans" ? ............I think that on many occasions,...I might have acted,... a tad too hasty... :yes:

So,..I can well understand those folk, who give their hearts to a dog to tear...

I never used to,.. I didn't give a feck,..dogs were simply tools to be used,...and life was so much easier,..but as I get older,..I have become more mellow.

Facts are,.nowadays, it just don't matter,... I have realised that there is more to life, than silly fecking poxy dogs,...and that is the truth... :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 5

I know a lad who over the last twenty years has gone from owning good dogs to some of the best in the country and his bloodlines have been sought after by many

In reality, it's taken a very blunt, belligerent almost heartless approach to dogs , sadly that's the game , it isn't showing or commercial breeding, it's perfomance related

Additionally I have at times had need to buy in and pass on after I've finished, twice I've done that as I was unstuck without a certain type of canine to bring on a youngster

Another was killed on the road after three days , did I morn and whinge?

No, I opened the yellow paper and got another ,

I truly wonder what people think other lurcher owners are doing in this sainted sport ???

I'm not into passing dogs on but how I see it one mans rubbish is another mans gold my old dogs enjoyed there retirement with my dad,if a dogs not doing the job you want no point kidding yourself If it was like that people would have kennels full of dogs

• Like 3

Seems to me usually the problem is people buying in haste and then the realisation that they have a furry friend for the next decade or so and boredom soon sets in. If your do yor home work and have a bit of luck then most mutts should do the job required and lets face it for the vast majority of us it's not a job it's an enjoyable pastime. I have a young lurcher here who truth be told is no world beater but can't fault his effort, I could have gone to my uncle and got a pup of his dog which is proven and from what I have heard a top dog but in all honesty I probably couldn't do it justice and neither could the vast majority of moochers. But my little fella suits my needs and as long as he puts the effort in i get as much enjoyment as perhaps watching a more capable, think if more folk had a sensible approach to enjoying working dogs rather than chasing the holy grail then many fewer dogs would end up on the merry go around. That said sadly there are seemingly a good proportion of half wits in this game sadly atb

Edited by matt1979
  • Like 7