Pro Pest Control..vehicle Requirements.insurance,public Liability.

Guest vin

Hello all.

What are the requirements by law etc etc on the vehicle used for pesties ?

Our work vehicles have side doors,deadlocks,separate lockable storage unit for poisons etc etc..extractor fans in back..Sealed bulkheads,A supposed clean area which is one of the side door areas boarded out and sealed into a separate compartment..

When I was doing my training days..some of the other pesties were turning up in estate cars and the odd banged up knackered old van with no bulkheads in or anything ?

Whats the law or whats the most common use for vehicle and set ups etc etc.

Do you all use a certain insurer for the vehicle ?

Public liability separate ?

I'm getting geared up and don't want to fall victim to unnecessary spending's if I can help it.

atb

Vin

Mate, if your just starting up by yourself then you just need to have commercial insurance on your van so if you crash on your way to a job your covered. Bog standard tpft wont cut the mustard. I highly doubt they will ask you anything but has the van got wording / signs on it.

• Like 1

Our work vehicles have side doors,deadlocks,separate lockable storage unit for poisons etc etc..extractor fans in back..Sealed bulkheads,A supposed clean area which is one of the side door areas boarded out and sealed into a separate compartment..

(Providing you aren't transporting Ali phos) bags of loose bait should be in a suitable bund (I use a big plastic barrel), plastic tubs are just okay to transport as is. Liquid pesticides should likewise be inside another larger bund (plastic box). Also, if you look a the label there is information about transporting certain products and what you need to do. I also have a first aid kit, a chemical spill kit and a fire extinguisher, don't forget your "no smoking sign" (although I don't think this matters if you don't have signage on the side of the van). Sounds silly but make sure you have a hands free for the phone, you don't want to be taking calls otherwise when you are driving. I aslo have a little cleaning box with gel and wipes. If you are taking a charging bottle for your PCP make sure you have a little sign on the van saying you have pressurised gas on board. Some tunnels around London (and other places probably) don't allow vehicles carrying it to lawfully pass through.

The rest is just up to you but you don't need all that stuff you mentioned.

My public liability insurance also covers me for tools, I don't use the "market leader" as they are too expensive, so shop around and you will get a better deal. If you are using firearms make sure that the policy doesn't exclude it, and check out what height the policy covers you up to.

You will need Business Use on the van as a Pest Controller.

Edited by Torquemada
  • Like 6

Just use whatever vehicle you have mate , get business insurance and use common sense . Clivertons are great for public liability and personnel accident cover . Plus make sure you register as a lower tier waste carrier and have someone set up to take away your hazardous waste , once a year is fine.

• 5 weeks later...

Dont know how relevant this is to a pesty Vin,but I had all relevant insurances with Zurich (Im a builder),part of this was covering my tools ,equipment etc.My van got broke into one day ,over£3000 of tools were nicked,when I rang insurance to put claim in and was told "Its not like house insurance,ie new for old,you get tha value of the tools second hand,minus voluntary excess and compulsory excess" (some of thetools were less than a month old) in the end they offered me about £300,the new planer alone cost more than that a few weeks previous....Be careful what you sign up for.....mine met the legal requirement,public liability,employers liability etc but other than that wasn't worth a wank.....atb Dave

• Like 2

Dont know how relevant this is to a pesty Vin,but I had all relevant insurances with Zurich (Im a builder),part of this was covering my tools ,equipment etc.My van got broke into one day ,over£3000 of tools were nicked,when I rang insurance to put claim in and was told "Its not like house insurance,ie new for old,you get tha value of the tools second hand,minus voluntary excess and compulsory excess" (some of thetools were less than a month old) in the end they offered me about £300,the new planer alone cost more than that a few weeks previous....Be careful what you sign up for.....mine met the legal requirement,public liability,employers liability etc but other than that wasn't worth a wank.....atb Dave

Some good advice there Dave.

I followed good advice from a few members on this site and went with a well known pest insurance company for my public liability and sorted my van out with one of the big well known ones with all the relevant business uses etc etc. Its a minefield out there.

What van did you have when it was broken in to?. Was it a MK 6 or 7 Transit?.

Merc Sprinter,can I have my tools back lol...

Merc Sprinter,can I have my tools back lol...

What ever van anyone gets you MUST get an after market lock fitted. The pick for a Sprinter is Lishi HU64. VW Transporters and Audis are HU66 picks. There is already a pick out for the new Ford Transit Custom vans it's a Prodecoder HU101. But the easiest buy far to get into is a MK 6 or 7 Transit. They use Tibbe lock and it's shite. You can gain entry in to them in under 7 seconds and as there is only the one lock on the drivers door this will open the side and back doors as well. For Transit vans fit an after market barrel called a Hykee, cost you about £95 and can be fitted by yourself in under 15 mins.These can be picked but you would have to be a damn good lock smith to do it and have the relevant tools.....plus patience, a tea leadf just wouldn't bother. If you are wondering how I know this stuff it's because I do lock smithing as well as pest control, general building, natural lime plastering and chainsawing.

• Like 3