Bow Hunting

It sounds good but in the UK i don't think we have the wilderness for it....Maybe a red deer on a hill but that's about it. If it was ever legalised here there would be such a rush to try it there would be deer everywhere with arrows in them. In the US a wounded deer would probably get eaten by bigger predators but here it would probably just sit on a footpath until a member of the public found it.

The bow fishing looks good but do we have any top of water fish that you could shoot to eat....Who wants to eat mullet or carp? The yanks shoot invasive carp so there is a point to it.

If your a good enough shot in this country I'm sure you could just put a few rabbits in the pot without drawing attention to yourself with Facebook trophy pics like we would get if it was legal.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow I'm a convert! Has anyone tried it? I know it's not permitted in the UK, but I'm sure there are some lads on here that's done it?   I dragged my family along to the Belgian hunting expo yesterda

Banned in the early 60's I believe. Not sure though. I know it's stamped on the Wildlife and Countryside Act. We were fed the bullshit that it's cruel, and with no frame of reference, I believed it, u

This is impressive, I'm sure you are well aware of this guy, but it's all new to me....;-) 

Posted Images

It sounds good but in the UK i don't think we have the wilderness for it....Maybe a red deer on a hill but that's about it. If it was ever legalised here there would be such a rush to try it there would be deer everywhere with arrows in them. In the US a wounded deer would probably get eaten by bigger predators but here it would probably just sit on a footpath until a member of the public found it.

The bow fishing looks good but do we have any top of water fish that you could shoot to eat....Who wants to eat mullet or carp? The yanks shoot invasive carp so there is a point to it.

If your a good enough shot in this country I'm sure you could just put a few rabbits in the pot without drawing attention to yourself with Facebook trophy pics like we would get if it was legal.

Banned in the early 60's I believe. Not sure though. I know it's stamped on the Wildlife and Countryside Act. We were fed the bullshit that it's cruel, and with no frame of reference, I believed it, until I saw it for myself. Watching skilled archers take deer is truly something to behold. The rifle lads could learn a lot about fieldcraft from them.

Saying that plenty of bowhunting goes on in the UK. Stealth and camoflauge isn't just about deer!

Edited by ChrisJones
  • Like 4

It's something I really want to take up. Alas every time I try I get dragged back into work and it eats more of my time away. I want to be proficient at it and that requires time and practice. It's not something I want to take lightly at live targets.

I have heard it's very simular to shooting a catapult so if you have,nt got time to practice maybe get a catty or slingshot as you call them and you can have a go when you get the odd ten minutes
I have heard it's very simular to shooting a catapult so if you have,nt got time to practice maybe get a catty or slingshot as you call them and you can have a go when you get the odd ten minutes

Yeah the mechanism is similar but it's being able to hold the bow at full draw. Even with the weight training the shoulder gets very sore on even the smaller recurves, initially. It truly is a resistance exercise. You could hold a compound at full draw until you get bored. Recurve and long bow it's seconds, to start with, depending on the draw weight.

EDIT: My mate's longbow I can't even draw it!

Edited by ChrisJones

I don't think you need wilderness at all tbh. These guys are taking 30-50m kills at Roe, wild boar etc.......

I asked the guy I dealt with if he had many runners? He had a hunting licence for 15 years & had been bow hunting for 5 years & he said it was no different than shooting with a rifle for him. Sometimes quarry just dropped & sometimes ran on a bit.

You couldn't just make it legal for any anyone in the UK, otherwise you would get exactly what you've said. I know some real idiots with shotgun certs in UK, there's no way they would pass a hunting exam here!

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 3

What prices do bows run at over there?

For something half decent....from 400 Euros to over a 1000 Euros.....I think?

If your after a decent compound best place for a second hand or unsold year or two year old bow is archerytalk forum,few dealers on there sell last seasons unsold models for a significant discount,some archers are like carpers,tackle tarts,always need the latest tackle or bows,i have a Mathews model,when it first came out it was just under a grand sterling,got mine around 6 months ago less than a hundred arrows through it,pristine condition for the equivalent of £475,and that was with a sight and drop-away.

If your after a decent compound best place for a second hand or unsold year or two year old bow is archerytalk forum,few dealers on there sell last seasons unsold models for a significant discount,some archers are like carpers,tackle tarts,always need the latest tackle or bows,i have a Mathews model,when it first came out it was just under a grand sterling,got mine around 6 months ago less than a hundred arrows through it,pristine condition for the equivalent of £475,and that was with a sight and drop-away.

Cheers mackem, that's a good tip mate...;-)

• Like 1

Im getting interested now they sound affordable.. might have to set up a range at chez moi.

Prices vary considerably. Check out the yank second hand stuff too, you can get them for a steal. The story goes like this. They buy a bow for the archery hunt, usually it's an all singing, all dancing compound. It stays in the box until the day of the hunt. They go out walking around and scare the deer away. If they get a shot off they can't hit anything because they never practiced. They go the entire season without a deer, and the tag goes unfilled. It goes under the bed and it never sees the light of day, until someone finds it collecting dust and sells it on eBay or Craigslist for a fraction of what they paid for it.

It's basically a yank PCP airgun.

• Like 3

Anyone tried hunting with a crossbow. Something more or less like bowhunting.

Atb j

don't think many would admit to that mate but some of those compound crossbows are as deadly as a rifle and silent, pretty good bit of kit as a pot filler if you needed food
  • Like 2