Air Arms Pro Sport Stock. Left Handed Conversion.

Gentlemen all. Greetings.

Well I'm almost there with the conversion of the walnut stock, as far as the hard work of sanding and reshaping goes. I'll get Helen to post up photos of it and the beech stock that Jimmy converted for me, and you'll see what has had to be done. But I'll try to describe what's had to be done.

It's proven to be a very difficult job. But not impossible thank God. The approach is a two part process focusing on the grip and cheek-piece design. The second is the removal of the roll-over comb that will punch into your cheek and reduce the height of the comb itself.

PART ONE

First of all, the flowline from the cheek-piece runs to the grip and runs on actually disappearing slightly into the chequering itself. This line has to be removed or it just pushes uncomfortably against your hand and keeps it from a positive, comfortable hold on the chequered grip. I'd hoped to remove it and cut-in the Palm-swell without intruding into the beautiful diamond "Tartan" chequering panel, but, it's imposible to achieve a comfortable holding position without following it in and reducing it as far as possible. If you own a Pro Sport with the current Minelli stock, you'll know what I'm trying to describe here.

The solution has been to sand away the bulge of the flow line fully into a proper recessed concave and form a palm-swell then cut-in a pointed diamond-shaped flash to remove most of the slight bulge as the flow- line we are trying to remove enters the chequering panel. That means using and following one of the diamond-shaped chequers as a guide that the bulge runs through. It's thankfully, only slight at this point but, there's enough to be able to feel it and have it work slightly against your hand still yet. Otherwise the deeper you make the palm-swell, the more pronounced the little bulge in the chequering becomes as your hand's palm makes closer contact. So it's a very delicate operation of sanding a little away and test with the hand just a tiny bit at a time, until, only the bare necessary has been removed and my hand is making a comfortable controlling hold with no uncormfortable resistences left in the stock's form.

However, though in order to create a comfortable recess for your palm and hand to make correct, comfortable-feeling contact on the grip, it has been sadly necessary to lose most of that lovely filigree "Acanthus leaf" scroll-work carved into the stock.

But, I think, once the stock is finished, before oiling and polishing, I can carve my own Acanthus design using the one on the opposite chequer-panel as a template guide for my own design and complete and make the rifle stock really unique as a one-off to me.

In this respect. The work on reshaping the grip has now been successfully completed with little loss of chequering at least.

PART TWO. ROLL-OVER COMBE.

This has been just a process of coarse, heavy-grit paper on a block and a lot of elbow grease. But I have now completely taken off the entire roll-over and the comb is now starting to form back the other way and let me rest my cheek comfortably without anything remaining to push my head away. It has revealed the level of taper that the top of the comb runs, thick at the back and thinner towards the front of the wrist. It remains now for me to keep sanding evenly away untill the comb is perfectly set to height for my head alignment. It's not finished here yet, but, I'm on my way to the nice bit of recarving the filligrees, re-cut the line into the flash in the chequering and oiling and finishing her off.

JIMMY this is where I'm really going to need your input and help here.

My personal feelings. Very satisfied with how it's all going to end up looking and working. BUT...It's a b*****d when you have to chop into a beautiful walnut stock like this.

But what other way can you get a left hand Pro Sport!

Thaks for reading lads. I'll get pics up as soon as we can.

Simon

• Like 6

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentlemen all. Greetings.   Well I'm almost there with the conversion of the walnut stock, as far as the hard work of sanding and reshaping goes. I'll get Helen to post up photos of it and the beech

Keep up the good work Simon. When you`ve completed and successfully hunted for the first time, a post and photos to one, or two, airgun magazines entitled( something like),- "Left handed s

Aw thank you so much for all the kind encouraging comments lads. Especially from you Jimmy. I honestly thought you were going to bollock me for doing something wrong! I'm keeping the reshaping sandin

Posted Images

That's going to look stunning when it's done Simon.

But yes you are right. It's not a job we should have to start doing.

When your parting with your hard earned cash, it should be available in South paw as well from new!

Come on AA, pull your finger out??

• Like 3

Right Simon your not going to like this but if i was doing the job

YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO SAND THE HOLE STOCK NOW SO IT MATCHES THE PART WHERE YOU SANDED DOWN

OR WHEN YOU PUT THE OIL ON IT WILL BE LIGHTER THAN THE REST AND WILL ALL WAYS BE ON SHOW

BUT THERE MAY BE A WAY OUT

BATH,, WARM WATER,,LOTS OF SOAPY WATER USE WASHING UP LIQUID I FIND THIS IS BETTER FOR THIS

USE THE SOAP SUDS TO REMOVE THE OLD OIL BUT FIRST GIVE IT A RUB OVER WITH 0000 WIRE WOOL THEN BATHE IT WITH THE SOAP SUDS

THEN DRY IT OFF WITH AN OLD TOWEL THEN LEAVE TO DRY ONCE DRY YOU WILL SEE IT SHOULD ALL BE THE SAME COLOR IF NOT DO IT AGAIN BUT NOT THE PART YOU HAVE SANDED OUT LEAVE THIS AND ONLY RUB THE SECTIONS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN SANDED OUT .

IF IT DOSE NOT COME OUT THE SECOND TIME YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO SAND THE HOLE STOCK TO MATCH THE PART YOU HAVE SANDED .

BUT IV NEVER HAD TO DO THIS A SECOND TIME SIMON

PLUS IT WILL MAKE THE GRAIN POP AND BE MORE PROMINENT

IT SOUNDS HARD BUT ITS NOT SIMON IF ANY THING ITS THE EASY PART OF DOING THE STOCK .

ONCE YOU HAVE DONE THIS BELL ME ON MY MOBILE ILL PM IT TO YOU MATE AS IM AWAY TO SI,S TOMORROW NIGHT FOR A WEEK END OF SHOOTING AND BEER LOL

AND ILL TELL YOU WHAT OIL AND HOW TO APPLY IT

BY THE WAY DO YOU WANT A JOB YOU HAVE DONE A TOP JOB ON THAT STOCK AND ITS JUST ABOUT ALL WHAT I WOULD OF DONE TO IT ANY WAY AND THE SCROLLS CAN BE PUT BACK IN WITH A DREMMEL .

HONEST SIMON I COULD NOT HAVE BETTERED IT MATE

TOP CLASS AND I MEAN TOP CLASS

REZ GET YOUR SELF A PRO SPORT AND GIVE IT TO SIMON

HE WILL SORT IT FOR YOU MATE :yes:

SIMON MAKE THE WATER NOT TO HOT BUT NOT COLD ETHER IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN AND ONLY HAVE IT IN THE WATER A FEW MINS AT A TIME AS YOU DONT WANT THE WOOD TO SWELL MATE

ONCE IT IS SORTED TAKE THE BUT PAD OFF THE BEECH STOCK IT SHOULD FIT STRAIT ONTO THE WALNUT

FOR NOW AND ILL BRING ONE DOWN WHEN III COME DOWN BRO

BUT IV A FEELING YOUR NOT GOING TO NEED ME :cray:

ATVBJIMMY :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

post-63400-0-70368000-1492723087.jpg

post-63400-0-91143300-1492723150.jpg

post-63400-0-53765000-1492723160.jpg

post-63400-0-99964400-1492723178.jpg

post-63400-0-49082300-1492723206.jpg

• Like 2

Right Simon your not going to like this but if i was doing the job

YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO SAND THE HOLE STOCK NOW SO IT MATCHES THE PART WHERE YOU SANDED DOWN

OR WHEN YOU PUT THE OIL ON IT WILL BE LIGHTER THAN THE REST AND WILL ALL WAYS BE ON SHOW

BUT THERE MAY BE A WAY OUT

BATH,, WARM WATER,,LOTS OF SOAPY WATER USE WASHING UP LIQUID I FIND THIS IS BETTER FOR THIS

USE THE SOAP SUDS TO REMOVE THE OLD OIL BUT FIRST GIVE IT A RUB OVER WITH 0000 WIRE WOOL THEN BATHE IT WITH THE SOAP SUDS

THEN DRY IT OFF WITH AN OLD TOWEL THEN LEAVE TO DRY ONCE DRY YOU WILL SEE IT SHOULD ALL BE THE SAME COLOR IF NOT DO IT AGAIN BUT NOT THE PART YOU HAVE SANDED OUT LEAVE THIS AND ONLY RUB THE SECTIONS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN SANDED OUT .

IF IT DOSE NOT COME OUT THE SECOND TIME YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO SAND THE HOLE STOCK TO MATCH THE PART YOU HAVE SANDED .

BUT IV NEVER HAD TO DO THIS A SECOND TIME SIMON

PLUS IT WILL MAKE THE GRAIN POP AND BE MORE PROMINENT

IT SOUNDS HARD BUT ITS NOT SIMON IF ANY THING ITS THE EASY PART OF DOING THE STOCK .

ONCE YOU HAVE DONE THIS BELL ME ON MY MOBILE ILL PM IT TO YOU MATE AS IM AWAY TO SI,S TOMORROW NIGHT FOR A WEEK END OF SHOOTING AND BEER LOL

AND ILL TELL YOU WHAT OIL AND HOW TO APPLY IT

BY THE WAY DO YOU WANT A JOB YOU HAVE DONE A TOP JOB ON THAT STOCK AND ITS JUST ABOUT ALL WHAT I WOULD OF DONE TO IT ANY WAY AND THE SCROLLS CAN BE PUT BACK IN WITH A DREMMEL .

HONEST SIMON I COULD NOT HAVE BETTERED IT MATE

TOP CLASS AND I MEAN TOP CLASS

REZ GET YOUR SELF A PRO SPORT AND GIVE IT TO SIMON

HE WILL SORT IT FOR YOU MATE :yes:

SIMON MAKE THE WATER NOT TO HOT BUT NOT COLD ETHER IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN AND ONLY HAVE IT IN THE WATER A FEW MINS AT A TIME AS YOU DONT WANT THE WOOD TO SWELL MATE

ONCE IT IS SORTED TAKE THE BUT PAD OFF THE BEECH STOCK IT SHOULD FIT STRAIT ONTO THE WALNUT

FOR NOW AND ILL BRING ONE DOWN WHEN III COME DOWN BRO

BUT IV A FEELING YOUR NOT GOING TO NEED ME :cray:

Had one dint ta. Had to do the same job myself... by hand.

Great rifle that was... Might get another one in the near future.

post-94709-0-01366700-1492725485_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

i REMEMBER HER REZ

SHE SERVED YOU GOOD

BUT NOT AS NICE LOOKING AS MY 97K I LONE YOU :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Pahahahaha. And here's me thinking you'd forgot about that... come on now, a shitty twenty two stainless 97 ain't your cuppa tea is it... surely you've moved on from 97's by now :D

Mac: "why'eye'man, ya'torkin'shyt'rezmond... nyne'sevunzzzz,ar,mint'liiiike" :D

X

• Like 1

Aw thank you so much for all the kind encouraging comments lads.

Especially from you Jimmy. I honestly thought you were going to bollock me for doing something wrong! I'm keeping the reshaping sanding out to the barest minimum essential, without losing the classical elegance of the rifle stock's line and form. Only the Comb height needs careful attention now.

I'm taking on your advice of a bath of warm soapy water to pop the fibres and lightly sand her all over to even the tones and finish her grains. I'm not going anywhere near those beautiful filligree chequering panels on her fore-ends or her fluted tips with sandpaper or anything else if I can avoid it. :hmm:

But I'll leave that till I've finished the main reshaping work. Once the comb has been finished, the next job will be to remove any uneven little blimps and bumps till she's all as smooth as a babe's bottom arounf the grip and comb finish.

I'm very mindful of your health Jimmy after this weeks' angina scare you've had but, when you come down, you'll be very well catered for, fed, watered and looked after. I just feel I need you with me to help and guide me finish this off and I'm going to need you as I go. Nothing strenuous. But proper. I've had my heart in my mouth and my pulse thrashing about enough over this job!

But then again, I feel as though I have this most beautiful rifle finally within sight of calling her my own now. I can't adequately describe what this means to a shooter like me. :yes:

Thank you so much Gentlemen for all your kind compliments and encouragements.

All the best to you all.

Simon

• Like 5

You are too kind Jamie. :thumbs:

But I've been shooting the rifle in the Beech stock on my garden range. At first she was a bit wild and creaky with scattered shots and tight groups mixed in the results. But, now after further testing at 30 metres, she now puts Air Arms fields into a very neat single-hole pellet group. The only issue here is there is still, a bit of power fluctuation that causes the odd flier and drop in shot. But I reckon she'll round-out to reach a fine consistency well, after a tinful of Air Arms Diablo Fields in 5.52mm headsize has gone through her. She really seems to love these.

Then, I'll open her out to my max 35 metres zero range and see how stable she shoots at what level precision accuracy I can get out of her. That has to be pellet on pellet into the same hole as the first. She's showing the potential for that level of precision. Damm good for a .22 spring rifle. Then she'll be ready to go hunting. Get her first kill.

always the crucial part with a new gun :hmm:

By the way Jamie, I was looking at your pic of your Pro Sport. Did you sand out the chequer panels when you converted yours? It appears she has none on show.

All the best mate.

Simon

That's very kind of you Phil thank you. I reckon I'll need to work on the Acanthus leaf scrolls and chequering line part somewhere around after sanding overall and smooth-finishing. Just before I need to oil and finish the stock for returning the stock to the metalwork.

Do you have a really fine, small cutting wheel for your Dremmel Phil? I reckon it would only need to be a pretty small radius with a thin, fine cutting edge.

Thanks so much again Phil. I think I will be needing it soon now.

Best regards.

Simon

That's very kind of you Phil thank you. I reckon I'll need to work on the Acanthus leaf scrolls and chequering line part somewhere around after sanding overall and smooth-finishing. Just before I need to oil and finish the stock for returning the stock to the metalwork.

Do you have a really fine, small cutting wheel for your Dremmel Phil? I reckon it would only need to be a pretty small radius with a thin, fine cutting edge.

Thanks so much again Phil. I think I will be needing it soon now.

Best regards.

Simon

No problem Simon, I have some fine cutting wheels and fine burring tools so perhaps a trip over during the week and I will drop them off in exchange for a coffee.

I will pm you with my phone number shortly.

Phil

• Like 1