I'm After A Couple Of Bushing Dogs

If your hunting medium sized patches of cover or along hedgerows ,then I don't suppose there is much difference using a silent dog ,hunting woodland or big tracts of gorse ,heather ,bramble etc if my dog didn't open up when hot on something I wouldn't know where the f**k she was and neither would the runners , she will often open up in a completely different direction from where I expected her to be .

Everyone e has their own way of going about things and "viva LA difference " I say atb

thats fair point Stan , situations like that mate a dog that give voice would deff be benefit deff. my next dog will be a small type lurcher , i would like 2nd gen 1x pit x whippet , if i can get one, ive had both breeds before and i like them, if i did get one and it picked up some of the whippet genes which it could . the none ped whippet ive seen at the track years ago they can sing a bit lol , so as busher i reckon they be vocal . i like the crack with any type dog day or night , and mooching/bushing is great deff :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have a days bushing with a dog that screams when it's behind or close to it's quarry then you will know Ray. It takes the adrenaline rush to another level. You see the lurchers change like flic

I don't get this obsession with lads wanting bushing dogs to open up as said before all you doing is sending game out of cover miles before your ready and if you hunt a lot of the same land regular al

There is a big difference between a yapping little dog bombing about and a busher that opens up when in close contact in cover. The little terrier I have never barks unless right on the back of things

Posted Images

I like a busher to be quiet if possible..A good lurcher and terrier working together .The lurcher will no were the terrier is..And should no were a bolt mite be..It's all fun a games..A yapping terrier is no good if your over the fence.

• Like 2

There is a big difference between a yapping little dog bombing about and a busher that opens up when in close contact in cover. The little terrier I have never barks unless right on the back of things and without This quality we would catch nothing where I mooch. With experience The lurchers soon learn to position themselves accordingly around cover and again with experience it also tells you what is in the cover which can be handy, just my experience atb

• Like 4

Bird if you were giving two bushers for a season and told you could keep 1 of the two after the season one with a great voice the other silent I can guarantee you would pick the 1 that sings on game it's a no brainer.

Definatly 100%. I have both and what a hell of a difference a vocal busher makes. It ain't even a slight difference its massive.

If your hunting medium sized patches of cover or along hedgerows ,then I don't suppose there is much difference using a silent dog ,hunting woodland or big tracts of gorse ,heather ,bramble etc if my dog didn't open up when hot on something I wouldn't know where the f**k she was and neither would the runners , she will often open up in a completely different direction from where I expected her to be .

Everyone e has their own way of going about things and "viva LA difference " I say atb

thats fair point Stan , situations like that mate a dog that give voice would deff be benefit deff. my next dog will be a small type lurcher , i would like 2nd gen 1x pit x whippet , if i can get one, ive had both breeds before and i like them, if i did get one and it picked up some of the whippet genes which it could . the none ped whippet ive seen at the track years ago they can sing a bit lol , so as busher i reckon they be vocal . i like the crack with any type dog day or night , and mooching/bushing is great deff :thumbs:

Ray ,I had a first x whippet bull a few years ago ,and had unbelievable sport with it ,it got passed to me because it opened up ,but it was so much more than just a running dog ,an exciting little dog to own .

Plenty spaniels knock stuff out of cover without singing maybe the lazy gun or lurcher should switch on.

thats what ive been trying to say .A lad by me where used to live , had great springer that knocked stuff out , it worked out brill being honest , i get one side with my lurchers , he had whippet x and a border terrier the other side, as springer was moving forward even if the rabbits dropped back the dogs both sides would nail them, it really worked well never any yapping or barking , just the dogs catching . i keep saying if there was to much noise some rabbits would try to go to ground, but when quiet the rabbits would try to sneak out up the edge but the lurchers would be ready for them. i have been out with nosey dogs and it did push them out, but for me i reckon you got more runs with quieter dogs :yes:

You're missing the excitement and enjoyment factor Ray.

Nobody goes daytime bushing to get big numbers. We go daytime bushing to have a good craic and enjoy seeing our dogs work. Pure enjoyment. A busher what opens up behind its quarry adds another dimension to enjoyment and excitement. If you haven't seen it then it's hard to explain. Nothing spurs the lurchers on like a busher yapping in cover and them not knowing what's going to come out!

i know its a great crack Gaz, i know that :thumbs: i was just saying that springer are great at this job, and work silent , does your bull x cocker work quite of barks out of interest , it looks a great looking dog mate, be good round a hole with that bit of bull in it.

She sings her heart out when she's behind something Ray and like A Stanley says if she's in a woods it comes in handy, she will work a big wood while I wait at the edge with the lurchers on the outside, sometimes when she opens up she's the other end of the wood and it lets me and the lurchers know she's onto something.

She doesn't Yap for the sake of it or on scent though. Only when she's up something's arse flushing it out.

Yeh she's handy round a hole.

• Like 2

A bushing dog that barks at everything is a pain in the arse when after foxes. More than once I've seen dogs hunting cover thoroughly but silent and then a young dog starts barking after hare or deer and drags the whole pack away from the cover on a wild goose chase. If a gun is waiting where he is supposed to be and not asleep then the fox is going to take the same path regardless of the dogs barking or not. It sounds more exciting when barking but doesn't mean there will be better results and sometimes it can be poorer results.The ideal barker would be one that sounded on fox only and not pheasant,hare, deer and rabbit. Best bushing dog I've seen is a pure springer smashes cover and silent until it sees the fox then gives just 2 or 3 little yap yaps and if she makes noise you can be 100% sure it's fox and nothing else.

• Like 2

I use a mute springer with my lurcher on land thats hunted day and night but holds plenty of game and ive got a fair few fox daytime that the springer pushed out and he never opens up,yesterday i went to give them a stretch i was working a field with brambles dotted all over and the springer was onto a rabbit and less than a hundred yards in the opposite direction their was a fox that hadnt a clue we were there i could of got it no bother but i left it be,ive talked to lads who also do this place a lot whos dogs are better than mine but the bushers yap and they rarley see a fox and dont believe me when i told them the amount ive got out of it,a yapper is fcuk all use on this land.

I use a mute springer with my lurcher on land thats hunted day and night but holds plenty of game and ive got a fair few fox daytime that the springer pushed out and he never opens up,yesterday i went to give them a stretch i was working a field with brambles dotted all over and the springer was onto a rabbit and less than a hundred yards in the opposite direction their was a fox that hadnt a clue we were there i could of got it no bother but i left it be,ive talked to lads who also do this place a lot whos dogs are better than mine but the bushers yap and they rarley see a fox and dont believe me when i told them the amount ive got out of it,a yapper is fcuk all use on this land.

So what happens when your lurcher catches retrieves back surely the rabbits aren't mute as well?

So what happens when your lurcher catches retrieves back surely the rabbits aren't mute as well?

i never said i was in a silent movie mate of cource we make some noise but the less the better in this place.

• Like 1

i never said i was in a silent movie mate of cource we make some noise but the less the better in this place.

Yes I get that, my point being if your catching on any land no matter what game, their is generally a commotion and a level of noise that is enough to alert plenty close by.

Yes I get that, my point being if your catching on any land no matter what game, their is generally a commotion and a level

of noise that is enough to alert plenty close by.

i get what you saying as i said we do make niose and of course were going to alert some but not ones two and three fields away,i get plenty off runs for my dogs ive walked it with lads whos bushers yap and got very few runs,this place is slap bang in the middle of an urban area with a population of over 50k people come from miles to hunt it and barly meke a dent in the numbers the game here is clever it has to be to survive any sign of dogs and there gone to ground.

Ray ,I had a first x whippet bull a few years ago ,and had unbelievable sport with it ,it got passed to me because it opened up ,but it was so much more than just a running dog ,an exciting little dog to own .

ive heard good things about them as well Stan, i want it more for in the day really , just mooching and the odd few nights in the lamp, Buck my main lamping dog really when i take him, but he great in the day as well just like old Bryn is, i think little line bred 1x pit x whippet would fit in well with them , be great mooching team , the other day Buck knocked rabbit out , yeh feckin Buck lol, god knows how he gets in some of the cover , it ran my side old Bryn just missed it, he just lost bit of pace , mind you he 10 in sep , bloody hell dont time fly . lol