Loading The Black Powder Cartridge

Loaded a couple of small batches of black powder cartriges for driven partridge in 24 bore and 28 bore with number seven shot.For the 24 bore a load of 1.3/4 drms of medium black powder to 7/8 oz of number 7 shot, and for the 28 bore 1.1/2 drms of medium black powder to 3/4 oz of number 7 shot there is not much difference in these two calibre loads.

Feltwad

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With Factory made black powder cartridges more difficult to obtain and more so the price loading your own is more cheaper . Items needed are the black powder in medium grade for 12 bore and less cart

Nothing like the smell of black powder. Nice soft recoil, stiff breeze helps, opposit way from target direction to get you second (if needed)shot of. Fun on the clays as well Load some each season

Seems that way black powder shooting both game and clays has so much too offer Feltwad

Hi - new to this forum but not to black powder. In this thread there are those that wonder why use BP? Might as well ask why do some use a 28 bore rather than a 12.

Having used a muzzle loader for very small days for the last 5-6 years I decided to use black powder cartridges in a hammer gun for most of my driven days last year - which are all quite low volume days. It is fun, it's noisy and dirty, its a conversation piece, it adds to the day. It is a bit like driving an old car, it still gets you from A to B, but with a smile when it has all worked.

Yes - unless you load your own, the cartridges cost a little more to buy and I would not use on clays for that reason. I have not often shot more than 50 in any day which at 3 or 4 bangs / bird still gives 12-15 birds or a 100-120 bird day. Good enough for me. I have certainly tackled 30-40 yard pheasants very happily with as many misses (well - perhaps a few more misses if honest) as I would with nitro. On still days getting that second shot in can be difficult - but in compensation the delicious smell hangs around for longer.

Cleaning? No problem.

Go to outside shed unless sulphur smells can be blamed on dog (or self)

Use rod to push through with scrunched up newspaper to take out worst of fouling. Don't put in big wads of newspaper as that may need forcing down and risk bulgeing barrels if thin.

With the muzzles pointing down in plastic bucket but not on the base of bucket, scrub with bronze brush using warm but not boiling water and fairy liquid

Keep going until spotless - pour foul water down sink (or drain) and rinse sink to gain brownie points.

Boil full kettle.

Put small volume into tea cup (+ tea bag),

Hold barrels with rubber glove or similar and pour rest of boiling water into barrels

Finished

Drink tea

Leave to dry by radiator / aga etc overnight. Then oil etc

Have fun and can guarantee a smile from fellow guns, beaters etc

Bob

Hi - new to this forum but not to black powder. In this thread there are those that wonder why use BP? Might as well ask why do some use a 28 bore rather than a 12.

Having used a muzzle loader for very small days for the last 5-6 years I decided to use black powder cartridges in a hammer gun for most of my driven days last year - which are all quite low volume days. It is fun, it's noisy and dirty, its a conversation piece, it adds to the day. It is a bit like driving an old car, it still gets you from A to B, but with a smile when it has all worked.

Yes - unless you load your own, the cartridges cost a little more to buy and I would not use on clays for that reason. I have not often shot more than 50 in any day which at 3 or 4 bangs / bird still gives 12-15 birds or a 100-120 bird day. Good enough for me. I have certainly tackled 30-40 yard pheasants very happily with as many misses (well - perhaps a few more misses if honest) as I would with nitro. On still days getting that second shot in can be difficult - but in compensation the delicious smell hangs around for longer.

Cleaning? No problem.

Use rod to push through with scrunched up newspaper to take out worst of fouling. Don't put in big wads of newspaper as that may need forcing down and risk bulgeing barrels if thin.

With the muzzles pointing down in plastic bucket but not on the base of bucket, scrub with bronze brush using warm but not boiling water and fairy liquid

Keep going until spotless - pour foul water down sink (or drain) and rinse sink to gain brownie points.

Boil full kettle.

Hold barrels with rubber glove or similar and pour rest of boiling water into barrels

Finished

Drink tea

Bob

I have seen many good shots using a black powder hammer gun on driven days , but with a double barrel muzzle loaders on such a day it is best for two shooters to a peg , One pheasant, partridge shot with a muzzle loader is worth ten with a modern over and under ,they are days you never forget

Feltwad

I used a muzzle-loader when sharing a peg with one of my sons. They got most of the shooting and had to learn their shooting manners ("too low", "not your bird" etc). Find me a teenage boy (of whatever age) who does not love the smell of gunpowder.

I have shot with a hammer gun for many years (under lever and non-rebounding locks) but only moved to BP when I stopped smoking. Putting a lit pipe in the same pocket as my cartridges is fine with nitro but would not be a recipe for a long life with BP cartridges!

Have a good season.

Bob

I used a muzzle-loader when sharing a peg with one of my sons. They got most of the shooting and had to learn their shooting manners ("too low", "not your bird" etc). Find me a teenage boy (of whatever age) who does not love the smell of gunpowder.

I have shot with a hammer gun for many years (under lever and non-rebounding locks) but only moved to BP when I stopped smoking. Putting a lit pipe in the same pocket as my cartridges is fine with nitro but would not be a recipe for a long life with BP cartridges!

Have a good season.

Bob

What is the maker of your hammer ? I go for my local gun makers of the area .

Feltwad

Cleaning? No problem.

Boil full kettle.

Finished

Drink tea

Bob

Well said that man.

I find cleaning black powder easier than nitro.

U.

Feltwad

My gun was made by Joseph Harkom (Edinburgh). I used to live there before moving to SW. If you're in the NE is yours made by Pape? He made some lovely guns. Still I guess that even in the early days they mainly started life as a bag of bits from around Birmingham.

U

Cleaning is all part of the day. Nowhere near as bad as everyone else seems to think. Comes under the heading of 'don't knock it if you haven't tried it'.

Will be shooting partridges this weekend.

Have fun.

Bob

Feltwad

My gun was made by Joseph Harkom (Edinburgh). I used to live there before moving to SW. If you're in the NE is yours made by Pape? He made some lovely guns. Still I guess that even in the early days they mainly started life as a bag of bits from around Birmingham.

U

Cleaning is all part of the day. Nowhere near as bad as everyone else seems to think. Comes under the heading of 'don't knock it if you haven't tried it'.

Will be shooting partridges this weekend.

Have fun.

Bob

I did have some Papes in the past such has muzzle loaders , pin fires and breech loading hammer guns I did have a good hammer gun that was sold from Papes Sunderland shop but they were Birmingham made with Papes name on them I went more for Newcastle makers such has Gardner , Burnand , Allon

Feltwad

Lovely partridges and such fun with a non-rebounding, hammer black powder gun. Gave everyone a great deal to talk about - I even found myself apologetically insisting "there's nothing wrong with an over under ...."!. There's not - is there?

have fun

Bob

It seems has though you have had a good day at partridges using black powder it is more rewarding than using a modern over and under , to me you seem to remember every bird you shoot . I am a sxs shooter be it any type of ignition

Keep your powder dry.

Feltwad

Lovely partridges and such fun with a non-rebounding, hammer black powder gun. Gave everyone a great deal to talk about - I even found myself apologetically insisting "there's nothing wrong with an over under ...."!. There's not - is there?

have fun

Bob

Apparently not but I wouldn't know sorry.

Well done on your partridge day.

U.