Loading The Black Powder Cartridge

Just loaded a batch of 12 bore black powder cartridges ready for the driven pheasant days starting in November .For the high pheasants drives a load of 1.1/8 oz of number 5 shot, for a drive of average high flyers 1 oz of number 6 shot and 1oz of number 7 shot for the partridge drives

Feltwad

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With Factory made black powder cartridges more difficult to obtain and more so the price loading your own is more cheaper . Items needed are the black powder in medium grade for 12 bore and less cart

Nothing like the smell of black powder. Nice soft recoil, stiff breeze helps, opposit way from target direction to get you second (if needed)shot of. Fun on the clays as well Load some each season

Seems that way black powder shooting both game and clays has so much too offer Feltwad

I've just received my blackpowder licence, so in the near future will be out on the marsh putting it through my 8 bore, iv never used it before, so lookin forward to loading some up

For a 8 bore breech loader it is best to go for coarse powder the loading of the cartridges varies to the chamber size , most come in 4 chamber sizes .The loads that are recommended are has follows ,for 8 bore using a 4 inch case in a 4 inch chamber the standard load is 7.1/2 drms powder to 2.1/2 oz of shot, for a 3.3/4 case 7 drms to 2.3/8 oz shot ,for a 3.1/2 case 6.1/2 drms to 2.1/2 oz shot , for a3.1/4 case 6drms to 2.1/8 oz shot Always remember these loads are for coarse powder if you use medium powder drop your dram load of powder.

Good luck

Feltwad

Would love get out do bit squirrel shooting with black powder gun

Do it.

kjddr7cr.jpg

U.

i tried looking everywhere for a long time for a Kentucky smooth bore but all I found was rifled and I carnt aford to pay 500 pound on an aredsa smoothbore if i don't end up enjoying it ,

Do it.kjddr7cr.jpg

U.

i tried looking everywhere for a long time for a Kentucky smooth bore but all I found was rifled and I carnt aford to pay 500 pound on an aredsa smoothbore if i don't end up enjoying it ,
can you not buy a rifled one and have it reamed out or would this be as expensive as buying a new aredsa smooth bore as I do not have or want to have a fac cheers

I've just received my blackpowder licence, so in the near future will be out on the marsh putting it through my 8 bore, iv never used it before, so lookin forward to loading some up

For a 8 bore breech loader it is best to go for coarse powder the loading of the cartridges varies to the chamber size , most come in 4 chamber sizes .The loads that are recommended are has follows ,for 8 bore using a 4 inch case in a 4 inch chamber the standard load is 7.1/2 drms powder to 2.1/2 oz of shot, for a 3.3/4 case 7 drms to 2.3/8 oz shot ,for a 3.1/2 case 6.1/2 drms to 2.1/2 oz shot , for a3.1/4 case 6drms to 2.1/8 oz shot Always remember these loads are for coarse powder if you use medium powder drop your dram load of powder.

Good luck

Feltwad

Are you allowed to shoot lead on the marshes or is your gun proofed for steel as I did not think you could get muzzle loaders that are steel proof ,

Good luck

Feltwad

Are you allowed to shoot lead on the marshes or is your gun proofed for steel as I did not think you could get muzzle loaders that are steel proof ,

Sorry that was for Baz

No, can't use lead on the marshes or for wildfowl full stop.. Iv a fair it of bismuth that I'm going to use once I purchase some powder.. Cheers for that advice feltwad, mines a 4" chambered 8 bore. Going to get myself some powder storage sorted then get some. Been told that Swiss is a good one to use

No, can't use lead on the marshes or for wildfowl full stop.. Iv a fair it of bismuth that I'm going to use once I purchase some powder.. Cheers for that advice feltwad, mines a 4" chambered 8 bore. Going to get myself some powder storage sorted then get some. Been told that Swiss is a good one to use

Yes Swiss is a very good powder and is mostly used by competitive shooters of muzzle loading rifles and pistol it also is very expensive double the price of coarse black powder. If you do use Swiss then you must reduce the powder load .

Feltwad

Do it.

kjddr7cr.jpg

U.

There are other options.

I've heard tpph is a real good powder too. Alan myers is fairly local to me.ill see what has in stock and go from there

Tpph powder is good for rifles it is the powder the Proof House use, I have never used it in shotguns the best powder for shotguns was the Curtiss And Harvey black powder but sadly it is no longer made.

Feltwad

Old powder tins

P1010007.jpg

images from up

Edited by Feltwad

Do it.kjddr7cr.jpg

U.

Hello N nice to see you back on here mate.its something I will do soon, I was going join a club n try out couple the lads guns to see if it's for me.....

Failing that could offer you a day out on some permission you only 30 mins away from me,

You supplie gun I'll supplie squirrel pigeon an if lucky a pheasant or two