Loading The Black Powder Cartridge

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With Factory made black powder cartridges more difficult to obtain and more so the price loading your own is more cheaper . Items needed are the black powder in medium grade for 12 bore and less cart

Nothing like the smell of black powder. Nice soft recoil, stiff breeze helps, opposit way from target direction to get you second (if needed)shot of. Fun on the clays as well Load some each season

Seems that way black powder shooting both game and clays has so much too offer Feltwad

Great stories men.

I find tissue paper and newspaper makes good loads but only in damp conditions.

The lead pellets as for improvised caps is amazing.

Here is a tissue wad I found smoldering after a shot!

DSCN0899_zps42965e67.jpg

U.

Hope these stories don't put people of trying black powder.

Will load a few up for clays on Sunday.

Probably drop one into a friends pocket but they all have a good sense of humour,( well most of them)

Hope weather stays nice gents. John

Probably drop one into a friends pocket but they all have a good sense of humour,( well most of them)

I also hope what has been quoted does not put future black powder shooters of the sport ,if the proper components are used then every thing should be ok any new comers may be tempted to use such and let them know what could happen

Feltwad

Just loading cartridges now, 67 grains of black, card wad and a felt on top with 1 oz of ️️7 shot for clays,( ussualy 30 gram 6s for the pheasant)

Nice pleasant load to fire and ussually does the trick, loading into nice new paper capped cases 65mm and roll turnover.

Now you pair have got my adrenalin going again so looking forward to Sunday, think I will really pull the plug out and shoot a full round at skeet.

Just hope it's breezy for the doubles. John

Well weather stayed nice.

Good strong breeze that helped with second ️shot.

Managed the middle stand on skeet including the double but failed on a couple of singles.

Enjoyed the moment and look forward to my next session at clays.john

Well done Snarepeg all though I have been using black powder in muzzle loaders and early breech loaders for 68 years but for black powder cartridges I still prefer a paper case with a rolled turn over it may be me but I think they shoot better.

Feltwad

When I used to load pinfire cartridges I always preferred the paper case sadly they are no longer available

P1010029.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

Certainly made a few heads turn.

Gave them warning when fireing them, lots of smoke and a sheet of flame 2 feet out of muzzle end.

Few people tried them and were impressed by softer recoil, (they were light loads) but the breaks were good(so I was told). John

I have always loved paper case cartridges nitro or otherwise, I must admit to having always fancied black powder shooting, have done a bit with a muzzle loader and really enjoyed it, but a nice breach loader with some home rolled stuff would be great Im sure, whats the cleaning regime like with black powder lads?

I have always loved paper case cartridges nitro or otherwise, I must admit to having always fancied black powder shooting, have done a bit with a muzzle loader and really enjoyed it, but a nice breach loader with some home rolled stuff would be great Im sure, whats the cleaning regime like with black powder lads?

Well most black powder shooters have their own method for cleaning the bores I personally use black powder solvent and a half bucket of boiling water ,using a bristle brush on a cleaning rod with the barrel muzzle in the water and using the cleaning rod has a pump to clean out the bore. When the fouling is removed flush out the bore with clean hot water ,dry and oil has normal .For a muzzle loader the breech is placed in the water and the pump action draws the water into the bore through the nipples

Feltwad

Well most black powder shooters have their own method for cleaning the bores I personally use black powder solvent and a half bucket of boiling water ,using a bristle brush on a cleaning rod with the barrel muzzle in the water and using the cleaning rod has a pump to clean out the bore. When the fouling is removed flush out the bore with clean hot water ,dry and oil has normal .For a muzzle loader the breech is placed in the water and the pump action draws the water into the bore through the nipples

Feltwad

I do this too but really don't fuss now.

In fact I have three fouled guns simply swabbed with my patch lube which is just candle wax and olive oil melted together.

I do not use mineral oil products, only animal or vegetable oil and fats.

They can hold the salts in suspension where as mineral oils don't!

There is no corrosion on my three fouled guns, they have been fouled for weeks now.

U.

Edited by Underdog

Feltwad

I do this too but really don't fuss now.

In fact I have three fouled guns simply swabbed with my patch lube which is just candle wax and olive oil melted together.

I do not use mineral oil products, only animal or vegetable oil and fats.

They can hold the salts in suspension where as mineral oils don't!

There is no corrosion on my three fouled guns, they have been fouled for weeks now.

U.

Has I said different people use different methods but the end result is achieved even down to those that use car window wash

Feldwad