plenty of time for sets my old mate down the plot hasn't got his in yet but they will be 4 x times the size of mine regardless lol. Things just take off when the weather is right rather than just sit there. Too late for seeds though I imagine but don't know much about growing from seed but I beleave you need to get them in jan,feb time

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

I find spring high pressure to be a waste of time for planting out anything. It gets too cold in the nights so what you gain by the day time temperatures you lose by the night temps. Far better to wait for low pressure and less fluctuations between night and day temps.

TC

pea's, broadbeans, and your sets. Spuds if you are doing them. Beetroot ?. Being up north I guess its a lot chillier than down here and like tc says at night its still cold. I like to start as much as I can in the cold frame. I started some onions sets in half toilet roll tubes. They shot off in the cold frame and got some serious roots going on I was surprised on the amount of root. Once planted out a week or so ago they look really happy. But that explains why in the past when I have rammed sets in wet ground that has set like rock they have never done well. Yet last year going in a nice tilth they did good. Any way be interesting to see how the planted out ones fair compared to the sets planted direct. I do repeat sowings a lot so if one lots fails all ways more coming on and some things bound to work

Yea they soon take off once the weather is right I wouldn't bother starting them off else where if you don't have room.

My cold frame is just wooden frame with a window laid ontop

14173864020_3a47879c4f_c.jpg

14288443728_590cfaa04c_c.jpg

Edited by terryd