A Couple Of Hounds

I usually work 3-4 hounds when out,but when you have a couple they need to be good,, sometimes when they check on scent it can take bit longer to pick up the line as less noses searching,,but definitely some fun can be had with small pack..

• Like 1

Quick question just curious does any one run sighthounds in conjunction with the normal pack??

Apart from surrounding a covert with lurchers instead of guns it's something a purist houndsman would never do as hounds hunt with their nose and ,well, you know what running dogs do.

For a hound to be running it's quarry in view, coursing, without giving tongue is a big no, no.

In saying that, I've heard of one man who left a bull X greyhound with his pack when cubbing and it often pulled him down just in front of the pack.

However, The Grand Canyon hounds, an American registered pack, who hunt Coyote have a few couple of 3/4 Foxhound 1/4 Saluki in the pack to quicken up a hunt that could go on for ever.

Thanks lads, have always fancied the idea of a couple of working hounds. I wouldn't be set up for a bigger pack.

With just a couple of hounds and a lower chance of catching quarry would the hounds lose motivation/drive over time? Sorry if that's a silly question.

Used to run 3 hounds and a mate had 1 and we accounted for a lot of foxs between the hounds and a couple of usefull lurchers just doing small covers,hills of furs and small woods,there was 1 particular spot that had a small lake and cover all around it with a huge tillage field going away from it,we named it the killing field with the amount of fox the lurchers accounted for in this 1 field,at the far end there was a big forestry but 90% of the time the fox never made it to santuary in the forest.I live in a small houseing estate and the hounds got used to the sound of the van and when id start it up at 5.30 am in the morning for work they would kick of big time,you would think they were on a line so in the end they had to go,given to a friend of mine from up the country who had a few more himself,but i do miss them,they were good crack.

• Like 1

Used to run 3 hounds and a mate had 1 and we accounted for a lot of foxs between the hounds and a couple of usefull lurchers just doing small covers,hills of furs and small woods,there was 1 particular spot that had a small lake and cover all around it with a huge tillage field going away from it,we named it the killing field with the amount of fox the lurchers accounted for in this 1 field,at the far end there was a big forestry but 90% of the time the fox never made it to santuary in the forest.I live in a small houseing estate and the hounds got used to the sound of the van and when id start it up at 5.30 am in the morning for work they would kick of big time,you would think they were on a line so in the end they had to go,given to a friend of mine from up the country who had a few more himself,but i do miss them,they were good crack.

I'm in housing estate meself. You'd swear the Hounds no its Sunday morning. As soon as anybody stirs in the house it's tally ho. Never make a sound any other day
  • Like 3

If you're thinking of getting a couple of hounds the most important thing is the best double glazing you can afford I can't hear my hounds l always think it's a shame my neighbours don't invest in some they would be allot happyer and would save them coming around to complain

• Like 3