Decisions Decisions

We've got an old 03 reg Combo we use for going to the dump/taking the dogs out/poodling around. It can only be worth £500 on a good day. It just failed it's M.O.T as both front springs are broken and both the shocks are leaking badly. The cost to fix it including the new top plates is £400.

I was considering just buying a new runaround van to see us through another year and scrapping this one, but I could be buying another load of problems. We had the cam belt done on this van a while back and the shocks are the only thing wrong with it. It runs great, good mpg and there aren't even any advisories but paying 80% of the value to get it back on the road is sticking in my throat a bit.

Doing the work myself is beyond my meagre mechanical ability so that isn't an option.

Would you ditch it or repair it?

Get it repaired you know the history of the vehicle cam belt ect if you buy another runaround you will likely inherit some else's problems that they didn't want to fix.

Just my opinion I rarely get rid of vehicles I just get them fixed I've got a Mazda 3 car in my 12th year of ownership and because it gets serviced every year I've only ever replaced a battery which give up the ghost this year and one headlamp bulb in the whole time I've had it.

• Like 2

We've got an old 03 reg Combo we use for going to the dump/taking the dogs out/poodling around. It can only be worth £500 on a good day. It just failed it's M.O.T as both front springs are broken and both the shocks are leaking badly. The cost to fix it including the new top plates is £400.

I was considering just buying a new runaround van to see us through another year and scrapping this one, but I could be buying another load of problems. We had the cam belt done on this van a while back and the shocks are the only thing wrong with it. It runs great, good mpg and there aren't even any advisories but paying 80% of the value to get it back on the road is sticking in my throat a bit.

Doing the work myself is beyond my meagre mechanical ability so that isn't an option.

Would you ditch it or repair it?

as already said fix it you could buy a proper banger for another 12 months and spend out a lot more on it

I've got 3 Vehicles Mazda3 Nissan Xtrail and my beloved Ducati the first 3 months of this year they all needed servicing Mots & Insurance now that made me cry the service alone for the bike was £550.