if a pcp was underpowered @ 9.9 ft lb

So it was sent to air arms and had a new cylinder fitted all repair work done and full service.

Comes back with chronograph report and full receipt showing its @

post-26232-0-49156100-1491339584_thumb.jpg

What would be the craic if say you where trying a few new pellets with a chronograph like h+n barracuda match 10.65gr. And the results where interesting.

I use rws superdomes and aa fields, can you set a air rifle up to 11.00ft lb if they are the only pellets you will ever use? What if a heavy pellet takes you over 12ft lb.

From what I've read it's a grey area.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with donuts,, Grace House is my chosen charity this year, I will be competing in The Great North Run this year on their behalf.

Well I`m not arguing lads, not at all but that rule leaves a very bad taste to me.   Judge - right officer Dibble you caught mr smith shooting on the verge of his permission and not his

Worked out how the odd pellet seemed to go the over limit after reading some old posts on here about pellet size and manufacturing tolerance. . . Think it was pianoman old post that got me thinking.

Posted Images

The best bet is to run your own tests over a chrono with various weight pellets.

...... I'd expect heavier pellets to push up the ftlb in a pcp.

An 8.4gn pellet doing 777fps is very capable as long as it's accurate :thumbs:

• Like 1

Grey area or not. You are responsible.

I'm not saying you must test every pellet type available just on the off chance it may go over. If you receive test data from the manufacturer why would you?

Grey area or not. You are responsible.

I'm not saying you must test every pellet type available just on the off chance it may go over. If you receive test data from the manufacturer why would you?

Well it's a good job I did test it, if I'm responsible, I don't mess around with them hence why I sent it to air arms and payed over £200 to have it looked at instead of buying parts off eBay.

As an aside, has anyone ever had the police check their gun? Or know anyone who has?

Yes. But they were both somewhere where they shouldn't have been.

Another was pulled in the early hours because the police were bored and were picking faults with his motor. Took his gun for testing and he got it back after 6 months.

That's what I was getting at. If they were going to do you for something else, they might add that onto the list, but it would be hard to justify taking one off a law-abiding citizen just on the off chance.

Am I right in thinking that if a pcp is set up to say 11.3 with aa fields and after a 180 bar fill one shot in a string of 10 goes over 12ft lb by a couple feet per second before it settles down to approx 11.75 with a heavy pellet that's still breaking the law.

Can you set a pcp to 11.5 with your chosen pellet if that's all your going to use or does it have to be a heavy?

If you get where I'm coming from.

If you have to have them set them with a heavy does that not mean lighter pellets will only be shooting at 10ish?

Always had a air rifle since I was a kid but never really been into trying different pellets, shooting at paper? and all the rest of it, only just started to interest me, Always been a case of set scopes up and thought no more of it.

That's what I was getting at. If they were going to do you for something else, they might add that onto the list, but it would be hard to justify taking one off a law-abiding citizen just on the off chance.

I once went with a mate up to the arse end of Scotland who was a delivery driver. We were driving through the night and got pulled in the middle of nowhere.

They rifled through the van and then demanded one of them had a test drive to "ensure" everything was in order.

I stayed with the other plod as his and my mate went on a late night scenic.

He turned to me and said "we've only pulled you because my mate has never drove a transit before" :laugh: :laugh:

Got to give it to them. A good way to pass a long night shift.

Point I'm making. Is it worth the risk.

I once went with a mate up to the arse end of Scotland who was a delivery driver. We were driving through the night and got pulled in the middle of nowhere.

They rifled through the van and then demanded one of them had a test drive to "ensure" everything was in order.

I stayed with the other plod as his and my mate went on a late night scenic.

He turned to me and said "we've only pulled you because my mate has never drove a transit before" :laugh: :laugh:

Got to give it to them. A good way to pass a long night shift.

Point I'm making. Is it worth the risk.

Not for 10 fps or 3 in my case, I'll be happy with aa fields doing 11ft lbs that's all I need.