Evening all, thought I would post a couple of pics and ask for some advice. I've cut this hazel fork last week, I know its not the best time of year but I saw it and liked it and wasn't going back to that woodland so thought it take it down anyway. Only thing is as I should have expected its developed a few cracks. I know that you can save some cracks with epoxy but I'm pretty new to making my own cats and wasn't sure if its too far gone. Any advice would be great!

Kinga

post-102883-0-96678900-1491147505.jpg

post-102883-0-44844000-1491147531.jpg

post-102883-0-00572400-1491147546.jpg

Same as above mate, if it had a split in the middle of the fork I would bin it but they are just caused through drying, if you have just cut it you can season the wood by giving it two minutes in the microwave, I normally cut my forks much longer than needed, then when they are seasoned you can trim an inch off the ends and bin the bit that's cracked and finally you can just sand it to the shape and finish you want then use epoxy instead of varnish to seal it all and force it in the cracks, good luck and don't forget a picture when your finished

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Fun little make in the end. Thanks for the advice everyone it wasn't really anything to worry about as you said. Feels well in the hand and shoots straight so I'm happy with the results!

ATB Kinga

post-102883-0-17078300-1493126757_thumb.jpg

Thanks mate. Could do with a bit more sanding and a nicer finish but its nice and smooth and has been waxed and then actually rubbed with dubbin to see how it works with wood. Worth a shot (excuse the pun).