I fancy a telephoto lens, and after looking at all the lens in my affordable bracket I came up with this lens. https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Shops/Canon-8546B002-EF-55-250-STM-Lens/B00EP71ETU It does not have the range of a 75-300mm but from what I have read what it lacks in range it makes up for in sharpness in that price bracket.

Has anyone tried this lens, if you have your opinions please. BTW I will be using it with a canon Rebel T3i which is a cropped frame camera.

TC

If you do not trust Canon why use one. The only way is to take your camera to a shop, put the lens on it and find out for your self. No ones review is independent.

All the best

So it's fair to assume you have not used this lens? Thanks for the link BTW.

TC

I am a Pro photographer when the work is available, I use Nikon. The lens is cheap put that is not to say no good, it is also slow with not a fixed aperture throughout the zoom range. That is all a need to know. but I also know that Canon will not sell total S**t. The only way to find out about any lens is to go to one of the better camera shops and ask to try one, You will only be getting someone else's opinion any other way. I know that it is not that you asked for.

All the best and good luck

Edited by just-A-snap
  • Like 2

I am a Pro photographer when the work is available, I use Nikon. The lens is cheap put that is not to say no good, it is also slow with not a fixed aperture throughout the zoom range. That is all a need to know. but I also know that Canon will not sell total S**t. The only way to find out about any lens is to go to one of the better camera shops and ask to try one, You will only be getting someone else's opinion any other way. I know that it is not that you asked for.

Thank you.

TC

Thank you.

TC

Just my opinion, but you are welcome and thank you.

All the best

Thank you.

TC

Just my opinion, but you are welcome and thank you.

All the best

The opinion of someone who uses a tool for a living is always worth listening too.

TC

I did not know that you were interested in Photography TC...

Its an exciting game,..I've been getting into it a lot more,..since I became old and feeble :laugh:
Not quite the same as proper hunting,..but it is still hunting of a sort...

All the best with your lens ... :victory:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

Personally TC I would try and save or stretch your budget for a Canon 70-300

http://www.canon.co.uk/lenses/ef-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-is-usm-lens/

They can be picked up on eBay/gumtree for about £175 and the build quality and glass will be of better quality than the one in your link...

It's never going to be as sharp or fast as pro lenses but will do the job good on the body you have, I have used the lens myself with good results before I really got into things and invested in both 300 f4 and 500 f4...

It will make a lovely little walk around lens which is really versatile, you may need to up your ISO to get faster shutter speeds at the longer length of the zoom but that's about it ?

• Like 3

They can be picked up on eBay/gumtree for about £175 and the build quality and glass will be of better quality than the one in your link...

It's never going to be as sharp or fast as pro lenses but will do the job good on the body you have, I have used the lens myself with good results before I really got into things and invested in both 300 f4 and 500 f4...

It will make a lovely little walk around lens which is really versatile, you may need to up your ISO to get faster shutter speeds at the longer length of the zoom but that's about it

Thanks for that, it is really appreciated. I had a look at this review for the canon,

Then as he mentioned the

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC USD

I had a look at that review also.

There is little difference in price, so I am back to confused.com

TC

It will make a lovely little walk around lens which is really versatile, you may need to up your ISO to get faster shutter speeds at the longer length of the zoom but that's about it

Thanks for that, it is really appreciated. I had a look at this review for the canon,

Then as he mentioned the

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC USD

I had a look at that review also.

There is little difference in price, so I am back to confused.com

TC

I would stick with Canon mate, will be slightly sharper, better build quality and possible longer at F4 in the zoom range leading upto 5.6,

It's where I would be putting my money anyways :)

• Like 1

I've got the 55 250 & 75 300

I always grab the longer lens & to be honest would like a longer lens..

You'll get good enough shots if your not to ambitious with the distance..

I'm like yourself and work in the price bracket I can justify..

Good luck with the lens..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey up TC,if your not wanting to spend hundreds or thousands lol,a decent lens I've found for the Canon's is the EF 100-300mm F4-5.6 so not exactly a fast lens but it can produce half decent images even hand held without the need of a tripod etc,i picked one up for way less than a hundred quid off eBay,only downside I've found is the zoom creep lol,basically the lens extending when attached to the camera whilst carrying it..Here's a sample of what it takes buddy

post-35225-0-90544600-1492110600_thumb.jpg

• Like 4