Big Buck Mink Drawing A Muskrat Out Of The Rocks.

Great footage there. Do the mink ever get bitten in their tussles with musk rats?

Yes they do on occasions. Muskrats have really bad bites, and mink are their number one predator in nature, so mink have been selected for many thousands of years for their ability to avoid being bitten while hunting dangerous prey like muskrats. A skilled mink can go through dozens of muskrats before they get bitten bad enough to show any marks. I'm sure they get some mild bites that I never notice, but ones bad enough to leave a mark are quite rare.

If that wasn't the case, mink would have a pretty short hunting career! Muskrat bites are HORRIBLE! They don't leave little holes like a squirrel or rat bite, they tend to leave big gashes like how a boar does on a dog! It is very rare to see bites like this on a mink, but I've seen what they can do to each other in the blink of an eye, and I've also been bitten my self several times. You can't put two freshly caught muskrats in the same cage, because if they start fighting, they can leave huge gashes in each other in just a few seconds! During the breeding season it's quite common to find muskrats with chunks out of their tails, or HUGE open gashes that looks like someone slashed them with a knife! They can literally disembowel another muskrat with a quick bite, and leave their opponent running with his intestines hanging out!!!

Back before I knew better, I put two live muskrats in the same carry box, and bam one bit the other, and it must have hit a main artery in the other muskrat's shoulder/neck area because there was a gush of blood and it bled out and died in just a couple minutes. When I inspected the poor muskrat there was a hole in it so big I could easily fit my thumb in the gash! I hate to think of what they could do if they really got a hold of a mink, but so far I haven't had anything serious with my own mink.

Fang, for example, has been hunting muskrats almost exclusively all winter, and has caught so many I've completely lost count. I go hunting 4-6 times a week, so I'm sure she's killed well over 3 dozen, but so far she's only got one little insignificant cut on the top of her head to show for it. How mink get in there and take down such a large, aggressive, and dangerous animal with out getting hurt in the process is really AMAZING to me!!!

• Like 1

I've been a long time subscriber of your youtube channel Minkenry, great to see you on here. I really felt for you when you lost Washushe around a year ago. You have a great channel