If you really don't like him, or want him anymore then Lurcher Link or a greyhound charity should be able to advise.

I do sympathise, to an extent. I got a young dog last year (he's a pet, I don't hunt) and the first few weeks were so intense and really hard at times. But if you can just give him time and patience and understanding, and lower your expectations of him, you may find you start to enjoy him. He doesn't want to be making your life miserable, he's just a young confused frightened dog.

3 books I found enormously helpful 'The House Lurcher' and 'Dogs in Mind' both by Jackie Drakeford, and 'Total Recall' by Pippa Mattinson.

Also search through the threads on here 'recall' 'retrieve' 'adolescent dog' etc. There is so much really helpful advice in loads of the posts if you take the time to pick through them.

At 8 months mine was constantly giving me the run around. As I found out they need time, time and more time. Now at 3 years he does the right thing for the most part because he wants to please me and we just get on. Give it another 3 years for the final wrinkles to be ironed out and we should be about right :laugh:

If he wasn't coming back just stick him on a long rope and give it time there are far worse sins he could be committing. But anyway maybe for the best

Young dogs test any body and all dogs are different some people make it sound so easy to train them like retrieving people can get a dog retrieve a ball like its nothing and the dog has no problem doing this what that ball doesn't train a young dog is that when that dog actually catches a rabbit it's gonna riggle it's furry and its Gona squeal like feck and it's also Gona probably kick you in the face now some got panic at this and dunno what to make of it others decide there Gona run around with it and play a game and some will retrieve it's just how it is with working dogs I think

• Like 2