Setting Putagnes

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm: .....

Well after using various traps for over 30 years , i thought i'd give some Putagnes a try.

Like most traps , i've found it's a bit like learning to ride a bike , difficult to master , but once you have it's instinctive..

But these have me beaten , sore thumbs :cray: , and i've now chucked emm outside the workshop door , well it was grub up anyway.

So what's the secret , i've watched the famous youtube vid 3 times now and he makes it look a doddle :huh: .

• Like 1

IMG_20170315_162137_zpsnfexg9hq.jpg

Dont give up mate, im gonna try a diff type trap now, what type do you recommend?

I use Duffus traps , have done for 32 years now and have caught a mole or two , don't get me wrong mate i do know how to catch moles !!!

Not that keen on having the p taken when i'm after advice, but guess i've done the same plenty of times .

I think i've got so used to the Duffus ,the putagne seams alien.

Dont give up mate, im gonna try a diff type trap now, what type do you recommend?

I use Duffus traps , have done for 32 years now and have caught a mole or two , don't get me wrong mate i do know how to catch moles !!!

Not that keen on having the p taken when i'm after advice, but guess i've done the same plenty of times .

I think i've got so used to the Duffus ,the putagne seams alien.

Well, your not gonna go wrong , with a 'good' duffus !,......& its only natural, for us to want to try , different traps ?,.....(but it seems, each 'new' mole trap, that comes along, ...is the best thing , since 'sliced bread' !,....too some ? lol),......but, to be fair, ...im aware that wee 'french thing' has a bit of 'power' , for what it is,.....& end result, seems to be a 'humane' capture, (most times ?) ;)

Edited by earth-thrower

If they are new out of the parcel they do have a little oil/grease on them from the manufacturing process, which may make the trigger a bit tricky and ping out. When I get them I secure triggers with bird spring wire and slosh them in a bucket of water for a couple of days, then hang them up in bunchs for a few days. This gets rid of the slipperiness.

When you are setting them make sure you have the prongs of the trap in the notch of the setting tool or pliers - if they aren't the prongs are out of alignment and the twist they have makes the trigger ping out as they true themselves to the correct position. Check the setting tool/pliers don't have a twist on them that causes the prongs to be out of alignment as it might be them not you.

I had been won over by Traplines a few years ago and loved them, but the price got daft when Killgerm got the sales rights.

I have now transferred my loyalties to Putanges.

Like all things there are a few new things you need to think about when setting but once you find the way they are virtually foolproof, as I am proof of.

Get a few Talpex mate,dont know what the grounds like there,where I trap is very crumbly/peaty,Talpex work a treat.Like the Putanges for patios etc ,or where they need to be hidden.atb Dave

SORTED, :yes: ,

Left the traps outside last night and today , they got a thorough soaking until the sun came out .

Tried a differant trap and trigger to the one that had peed me off and it set within seconds and the trigger held firm . 18 of the 20 traps set really quickly and i laid them all set on the workbench.

2 of the traps would just not set properly if i could struggle to set them the prongs where twisted and then the trigger would ping out .

A few minutes in the vice with a metal dowl through the round end off the trap and a bit of a twist and those two work well now.

It seams that 2 off them had twisted prongs and one off these was the first trap i picked up last night to try. Sods law .

But alls well that ends well , thanks for all the advice and hopefully this may help someone else... :thumbs:

• Like 2