Jills In Season

I have 2 jills (not related) they have both come into season last weekend.

I have read on here that you have to mate them or put them with a v sec male, to bring them out of season.

I know someone with a non related male and i wanted to breed my sandy as she has some really good charactoristics. Also i want to increase my workers.

Is it just a case of putting the hob in their court and job done? (so to speak)

I did abit of research on the web, most sites said it is dangerous for the female and young and very expensive.

Could i keep a hob back and get him v sec'd to bring them out of season next year?

FF

You don't need a hob to bring the Jill out of season. She comes out herself after a while. If your breeding only put the job in with the jill for couple of days. Don't want him shagging her to death or him shagging himself to death and yes you could keep a hob back and get him snipped next year

Hi new to forum my jills have seemed to be more active now could this to do with them coming into season

Yes this can be a sign, best thing to do is flip the ferret over and look to see if her lady area is swollen, be size of a bean, pun intended

Edited by CraignTod

Despite what some people say it's very important to take the Jill's out of season, I didn't used to but had a cracker of a Jill die a while back and they also lose condition (weight loss/hair loss) in the summer if not bought out of season. Regarding breeding just put the hob in with Jill and he will do his thing, only needs to be in a day or two. Then put Jill on her to own to have kits you can leave them with others but a lot safer to have them on there own.

Never had the balls to leave mine in season yet. I've questioned the vets but they firmly support th£ir side. I'm honestly starting to think the jill jab can cause depression, I've noticed instant behaviour changes 80% of the time after the jab which subsides when they come back into season. My experience with the implant has had no such notable side effects and for me It's been more cost effective (Occasionally get it for retail price) but I have herd some people claim it shrinks their reproductive organs making it harder to breed later - I haven't tried breeding after so i can't back that up. V hob is a proven reliable method, may cause a phantom pregnancy which is not a big deal. At worst the operation wasn't a success and.....

• Like 1

Only a small handful of jills have the ability to bring themselves out if season like an EU can, my albino jill can according to her previous owner.

My first ferret could be she only did it twice then was jill jabbed on her 3rd season, something changed in her temperament after the jill jab, she started biting other people then when she as 5, I got her implanted and her behaviour went somewhat back to normal.

I have heard of jills not surviving to the age of 3 due to not being brought out of season. V hobs are good but jills will come back into season about 7 weeks later and mother the other ferrets they live with. And breeding generally is okay with few complications, they're hardy resilient animals. If a ferret hasn't been bred from before it is 3, don't risk it, there's a much higher chance of complications occurring, best breeding age is 2 if you're wondering.

But only breed if you know people who want ferrets, the ferrets aren't related at all because there is a small gene pool, and avoid breeding from DEWs and blaze, they carry genes for a condition called waardenburg syndrome which causes deafness and slightly deformed skulls.