290 Yard Magpie | Tikka T3 .223

Nipped out for an our this afternoon and managed to get a couple of shots off. Gutted about the first shot. I struggled to get an accurate range of the crow in the open field. Using home loaded 53gr V-Max. Lovely little round.

• Like 2

You must be joking. 300 yds is a hell of a shot on a deer never mind a dishcloth. I actually don't believe that you achieved that shot having been on the end of a rifle for a lot of years.

Great shooting Elliott

I have to,say mate you really know your stuff ,

What app have you got to work all that out ? So quike

Atb

Thanks David, it's only a bit if practice and knowing the data. Nowt that special. I'm using Strelock Pro which holds all my ballistic data. Combined with a rangefinder and wind meter.

Keep the app open on your phone, range the target, check the wind, dial your adjustments and take the shot. Sounds more long-winded than it actually is. You'll do it all in under a minute. Wind is the only realistic variable to consider. Today it was pretty consistant.

• Like 2

You must be joking. 300 yds is a hell of a shot on a deer never mind a dishcloth. I actually don't believe that you achieved that shot having been on the end of a rifle for a lot of years.

Maybe you're not as good as you thought........

• Like 1

Slightly sorry for the way my comment reads. I didn't mean it quite like that. Just had a word with my mate who has a recorded kill on a crow at 584 yds. He reckons it goes on all the time and there's a guy on YouTube doing silly things. Still can't believe it cause I can't even see 300 yds never mind take a shot. What a shot pal. Jok.

I feel obliged to also comment on a safe backdrop. Can one be sure at such a distance and with such a small target area. To me it beggars belief. ArchieHood. Never thought I was that good pal. You learn every waking day and I'm always a keen learner. Jok.

• Like 2

Slightly sorry for the way my comment reads. I didn't mean it quite like that. Just had a word with my mate who has a recorded kill on a crow at 584 yds. He reckons it goes on all the time and there's a guy on YouTube doing silly things. Still can't believe it cause I can't even see 300 yds never mind take a shot. What a shot pal. Jok.

If you want to learn long range, look for videos by Tibosaurus Rex. He's an ex US Sniper (I think special forces) and really knows his stuff. He has a 94 part sniper training course on Youtube. You can shoot accurately at any range if you know the stuff (I admit I don't), but watch some of his vids and he's making shots at more 1200 yards and hitting the target 1 shot!! To make really long shots, he takes into account Coriolis and even the temp of the ammo (measured with an IR gun).

It's the meticulous details that Elliot is taking into account using the app and wind measurements, plus sight turrets that makes all the difference at range.

Here's what I think is his longest shot, with a standard rifle .243 at 1,553 yards!

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 3