• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

years ago i changed the way i work my dogs and dropped in line with the laws. i got a few plummers and they did what i needed with style. although if i was to get back to digging the amount i used to

very testing these two

Thanks, seem to spend a lot of time on memory lane nowadays, This is the sire on the left with the litter sister to the tri coloured bitch.

Posted Images

Yes Jonny, the f1 gen were brindle. Rothwell did breed some decent stuff but like welsby, thought she was gods gift to Plummers and ridiculed most other breeders. Totally against ground work and scorned anyone who worked their dogs to ground as thugs. As does the gobshite welsby. She was charging £475 upwards for pups at one time. Ego and money driven. The 2 original bull o/c dogs were supposed to go back to the breeder when their purpose was served but both were shot to prevent anyone else using them, one after being used at stud with a ruptured penal cord. All for the oft quoted "good of the breed".

As for squire welsby.....There are no words Lol

• Like 5

Agree with storm boy on above,all the clubs have been guilty of control,only wanting there studs to be used over there chosen bitches so on and so forth. That's how the breed ended up the way it did.However there are a lot of good dogs and bitches owned by decent folk that graft these little dogs ,and have health and work at the for front. As for pups costing this or that it's been done to death,countryman weekly not so long ago £400 for Pat pups so really it's across the scale.But I do believe the pts and PTCGB are working more towards the working side of the breed. Here is a pic of "Nine"first cross bull -Plummer ,Curtis Prices"Mask"over Bull terier bitch..atb Keith j.

Edited by keith j
  • Like 2

i know little of plummer terriers apart from what ive read but i got talking to a guy an english lad who ran a small hotel, boarding house between kilsyth and denny and he told me his and his partners plummers were the correct way bred as plummer had started them and left them with the information to take the dogs nearer what his plans were for the breed, i think the name leigon was their affix also seem to remember him say they had bought the hotel after moving from one of the isles, he had a smart little terrier running around, i ended up buying a terrier box from him.ps i think tim was his name

bred some of the best of them-not sure how much they worked them but they were doing something right.
  • Like 4

that pic looks like they were a fair sized unit, the one i saw at the hotel was a nice compact terrier that looked bright and friendly a well balanced little dog

Jon, ask anybody thats ever crossed Bull into a line of terrier of any sort and they'll tell you it takes generations of breeding to get back to a size for fox, most in the past that did this were historically breeding for increased size of head and conformation in order to work badger (pre-ban) or in the countries were heavy work is still legal, this was not Plummers intention, it was merely a case of attempting to rectify the massive differences occurring in size between dogs and bitches, there were also lots of litters being whelped without any bitches, his theory was that inbreeding or line breeding and over use of the same stud dogs had lead to this, the size of the "New blood" progeny did come down with each generation, I personally felt that a nice tight coated red Patt or Lakey would of achieved the goal a lot sooner and without the cruel culling that Tim and Sue found necessary, I always remember Plummer being asked "what was the best Terrier you ever bred and worked" and his answer surprised many thinking it would be "OMEGA" or some other famous terrier and yet he said

"PAGAN", a first cross being Plummer/patt, food for thought and I was breeding this cross for 20yrs just for fox, WM

The photo on page three is a son of pagan with his daughter

• Like 1

years ago i changed the way i work my dogs and dropped in line with the laws. i got a few plummers and they did what i needed with style. although if i was to get back to digging the amount i used to i would be looking for a good working russell or patt. crossed with a plummer. the crossbreds seem to get the best of both worlds . couldnt see myself without a plummer or plummer cross now . but i am of the opinion they are a sporting terrier . not an earth dog. there are breeds that can do that job better. but very few breeds produce terriers as intelligent and versitile as the plummer terrier . :thumbs:

Sassy (saxon gypsy). a big lump for a plummer. from oc lines. pride of the fleet. now semi retired.

post-100217-0-66920300-1498248839_thumb.jpg

post-100217-0-92127400-1498249030.jpg

post-100217-0-59062700-1498249105_thumb.jpg

• Like 9