Book Recommendations?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He said non-fiction.

Lol.Right here's a good book for you. Just help to sharpen your skills abit.

bury my heart at wounded knee is another must read

Posted Images

Dear members, and readers, also to Dogman, who asked for certain recommendations regarding the reading of certain good books and their authors. Starting off with certain natural history titles which can be daunting simply due to vast amount of books that are on the market today, antiquarian, rare and modern titles abound.

A book I'm going to read at bedtime to see if it helps myself sleep. The book is called: The Bedside book of Psycology, from perception to personality. By Christian Jarrett and Johanne Gisburg. A good little book. However, not for everyone!

2)Goring. The rise and fall of the notorious Nazi Leader. by Roger Manvell and Heinrick Frankel.

There are many more but I didn't want to bore any of our interested parties.

Regarding Natural History and perhaps one of my firm favourites goes to the Authorised Biography by Douglass Botting, who wrote The Saga

Ring of Bright Water.

The Enigma of Gavin Maxwell.A super extraordinary and wonderfully written by an excellent author. A must read!

Gavin Maxwell books written by himself. Raven Seek thy Brother, Ring Of Bright Water, A Reed Shaken by The Wind, House of Elrig,Harpoon At A Venture, God Protect Me From My Friends,The ten Pains Of Death,The Otter's Tale,The Rocks Remain, Lord Of The ATLAS. And perhaps various others I've forgotten about.

Then Wilfred Thesiger, the great explorer and friend of Maxwell;Wilfred giving Maxwell some Otter's from the marsh Arabs.BOOKS BY Thesiger:

1.The Life Of My Choice. 2.Among The Mountains, Travels through Asia. The Marsh Arabs, Arabian Sands, Desert, Marsh and Mountain, My Kenya Days, The Danakil Diary.Then there are the familiar books by (BB), Denys Watkins -Pitchford. Brilliant writer and an accomplished artist. Just ask if anyone wants to know of any of his titles. They are fantastic read, and collectable for the correct books, good condition, 1st editions in dust wrapper.

Another great author is of course W.H.HUDSON. Hope a few titles may just catch the imagination. "Good reading"!

Edited by Lutra Lutra
  • Like 3

Dear members, and readers, also to Dogman, who asked for certain recommendations regarding the reading of certain good books and their authors. Starting off with certain natural history titles which can be daunting simply due to vast amount of books that are on the market today, antiquarian, rare and modern titles abound.

A book I'm going to read at bedtime to see if it helps myself sleep. The book is called: The Bedside book of Psycology, from perception to personality. By Christian Jarrett and Johanne Gisburg. A good little book. However, not for everyone!

2)Goring. The rise and fall of the notorious Nazi Leader. by Roger Manvell and Heinrick Frankel.

There are many more but I didn't want to bore any of our interested parties.

Regarding Natural History and perhaps one of my firm favourites goes to the Authorised Biography by Douglass Botting, who wrote The Saga

Ring of Bright Water.

The Enigma of Gavin Maxwell.A super extraordinary and wonderfully written by an excellent author. A must read!

Gavin Maxwell books written by himself. Raven Seek thy Brother, Ring Of Bright Water, A Reed Shaken by The Wind, House of Elrig,Harpoon At A Venture, God Protect Me From My Friends,The ten Pains Of Death,The Otter's Tale,The Rocks Remain, Lord Of The ATLAS. And perhaps various others I've forgotten about.

Then Wilfred Thesiger, the great explorer and friend of Maxwell;Wilfred giving Maxwell some Otter's from the marsh Arabs.BOOKS BY Thesiger:

1.The Life Of My Choice. 2.Among The Mountains, Travels through Asia. The Marsh Arabs, Arabian Sands, Desert, Marsh and Mountain, My Kenya Days, The Danakil Diary.Then there are the familiar books by (BB), Denys Watkins -Pitchford. Brilliant writer and an accomplished artist. Just ask if anyone wants to know of any of his titles. Thay are fantastic read, and collectable for the correct books, good condition, 1st editions in dust wrapper.

Another great author is of course W.H.HUDSON. Hope a few titles may just catch the imagination. "Good reading"!

Cheers pal I'll take a gander.

• Like 1

Some good non fiction books i have read ,

1) The Iceman : Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by Phillip Carlo

2) Stalingrad by Antony Beevor

3) A Secret History of the IRA by Ed Molony

4) Shock Doctorine by Naomi Klein

5) Ghost Wars : The Secret History of the CIA by Steve Coll

I have just finished reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond that was a good read as well.

The Iceman book should be in the Fiction section,he was a dangerous man but he never killed half the people he said he did and also claimed to have done a lot of the "big" contract killings that was actually done by Gambino mobsters Roy Demeo and his crew (Anthony Senter and Joe and Pat Testa).The Officer that arrested Kuklinsky said there was no more than 20 murders done by him and most of the murders he said he had done he could not give any details or information or anything about them to even back up his claims.He died in Jail the day he was meant to give evidence against Sammy Gravano despite him hating grasses. Read the book Murder Machine by Gene Mustain for an insight into how Roy Demeos crew operated as hitmen with so many murders done by them,many of them confirmed by fellow Mafia members who had cooperated with police/became government witnesses.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_DeMeo

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2

The Iceman book should be in the Fiction section,he was a dangerous man but he never killed half the people he said he did and also claimed to have done a lot of the "big" contract killings that was actually done by Gambino mobsters Roy Demeo and his crew (Anthony Senter and Joe and Pat Testa).The Officer that arrested Kuklinsky said there was no more than 20 murders done by him and most of the murders he said he had done he could not give any details or information or anything about them to even back up his claims.He died in Jail the day he was meant to give evidence against Sammy Gravano despite him hating grasses. Read the book Murder Machine by Gene Mustain for an insight into how Roy Demeos crew operated as hitmen with so many murders done by them,many of them confirmed by fellow Mafia members who had cooperated with police/became government witnesses.

philip carlo wrote a book called atonomy of a butcher its a very good book.

Ye i agree on that mate he did tell a few pork pies definitely , i have read murder machine a few times brilliant book Demeo was a bad egg you wouldn't want to go to his bar for a night out.Most of the cold blooded hitmen turn into grasses in the end to get a reduced sentence that's why the mafia in America now has lost a lot of power.Didnt Roy Demeo get killed because the rest of the Gambinos thought he was going to rat on them all as well?

If you like your true crime books read The Black Hand : The Story of Rene 'Boxer' Enriquez and his life in the Mexican Mafia by Chris Blatchford.

Read a few good ones lately . Sorry I don't know all the authors.

The Mark of the Grizzly - Real accounts of survivors , forest rangers and friends of victims of Grizzly attacks in Americas national parks.

The Mad Trapper of Rat River - The story about the Mounties biggest man hunt in the Yukon. Epic terrain , survival and endurance and they are still not sure who he was.

Hell West and Crooked -Tom Cole - life in the outback Australia in the 1920s and thirties. A real life crocodile Dundee.

• Like 1