Unique Carved Lurcher Antler Opinel No 12

Looks mint but I wouldn't part with 300 notes for it no disrespect to griff I am a builder so I under stand the amount of work that goes in to some things

I'm a builder to . My comparison would be we've done oak lintel beams for a few of fireplaces we've done . Most are just put straight in without any tweaks etc. One guy tho paid someone a few days wages to cut , notch , mould, sand, hack, stain etc and it looked beautiful . So amazing it's still in my mind . With the cost of the timber and the guys time spent manipulating it it would have been to expensive for most and as some have said on here it's to much . But one guy paid it and he has the nicest lintel over his fireplace I've seen . Might be expensive or overpriced but if you have the money sometimes money's just a number .

Welsh_red i am a builder too. Time served Joiner and Mason. (i just play in the shed making knives and things for a hobby) You hit the nail on the head there...most folk are just wanting the job done to a decent standard and the cheapest way possible. But every now and then someone comes along who know exactly what they want and as you say money is just a number.....funny Oak and natural stone/ slate usually figure in the equation.

Last one that comes to mind was a retired professor wanted this oak frame house, came straight to us as he knew we had the skilled labor for what he had in mind, no shopping around for the lowest price..... massive shaped oak framing all exposed inside, outside finished in natural stone, exposed stone gable/fireplace inside, natural flagstone floors, shop made oak stair/doors/kitchen,driveway natural sawn stone cobbles laid in patterns, raised natural stone planters/border wall to drive, welsh slate roof etc...you get the picture. Not a huge house but cots him a half a million....at least double if not three times what a standard house that size would cost and a figure he would never get back if he sold it. He was over the moon with the finished product because we had done everything he wanted....paid in full...no questions asked!

Griff

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also for the record.....I have no issue with socks....... and even if i did i wouldn't air it on a public forum.   Griff

Reaper6 from Swadlincote. I've an idea where Griff is coming from. I've just finished a thumbstick for a good friend. It took a lot of time and effort to produce a 'one off'. Also I've made ferret and

SOLD!   Thanks lads for all the banter...its been fun...hope no offense given and certainly none taken............ Didn't quite make it to the 10 pages but did make it to the front page hall of fam

Posted Images

Price is immaterial because it all depends on who and why people buy the knife .

If someone here has a building firm and made real good money and ran dogs with her father 300 quid would be nothing to pay for a Christmas present

Any one particular in mind ?.....maybe you could let them know i have just the knife they want for sale........... :thumbs:

Griff

Price is immaterial because it all depends on who and why people buy the knife .

If someone here has a building firm and made real good money and ran dogs with her father 300 quid would be nothing to pay for a Christmas present

Any one particular in mind ?.....maybe you could let them know i have just the knife they want for sale........... :thumbs:

Griff

Sorry didnt have anybody in mind , was just hypothetical

• Like 1

Griff

Griff

Pity......thought i might have been on to a winner there...........Last time i did a job for Miss Hypothetical she didn't pay either :laugh:

• Like 1

Great job done with the knife mate it looks realy nice, hope you get what your asking for it, atb

Thanks Big Napper, i hope so too.

To be honest i agree it is a lot of money for a folder and i would never have made it on spec as unless it ticks all the boxes for you the reaction will probably be like many of those on this thread....... :icon_eek:

I don't do full carves for that reason.....the time involved and the amount you have to charge for it folk just don't want to pay.

I do end carves and they sell for £95 as fast as i can list them.

P1060001_zpsv29ekhak.jpg

P1060044_zpsqeeame0l.jpg

P1060101_zpsmkrlwv2d.jpg

P1060102_zps36dtlhgd.jpg

And smaller no7 or no8 for £55-60 and i can't keep up with demand.

P1060471_zps4a1yt6mo.jpg

And to be honest i get a better hourly rate for them than i am asking for this one...... so time wise this is a better deal......if you just want something a bit different but functional then the others are what you want.

Cheers

Griff

• Like 3

28 craftsmen couldn't mount an opinel in antler.

It was a question rather than a statement.

To clarify i estimate / project manage for a building contractor. Their skilled labor-joiners, masons, decorators etc etc are reffed to as "craftsmen" for charge out rates.

Griff

• Like 1

Griff, those last of opinels are very smart & very affordable, im very very tempted. Just thinking outloud if the blade got to worn down or badly looked after it can soon be changed too. (im talking myself into it one!).

• Like 1

Griff, those last of opinels are very smart & very affordable, im very very tempted. Just thinking outloud if the blade got to worn down or badly looked after it can soon be changed too. (im talking myself into it one!).

Yes blades no bother to change.....see my step by step guide here....

Griff

• Like 1