Mole Trappers

this is a question for the professional trappers amongst us ,roughly what percentage of the traps that you set catch a mole . I've had reasonable success in my and other peoples gardens but was once asked to do some trapping for a farmer who had been struggling to catch in his traps , I set off with confidence that I would make a dent in the mole population and failed spectacularly I couldn't catch a one ,there were molehills everywhere but I just couldn't catch the little buggers .

Impressive. On domestics for medium Gardens I usually put 3 traps in and I will catch the mole in one of those traps 99% of the time. Agricultural customers where there are multiple moles in various locations around the site my catch rate is around 50%. So 10 traps = 5 moles.

this is a question for the professional trappers amongst us ,roughly what percentage of the traps that you set catch a mole . I've had reasonable success in my and other peoples gardens but was once asked to do some trapping for a farmer who had been struggling to catch in his traps , I set off with confidence that I would make a dent in the mole population and failed spectacularly I couldn't catch a one ,there were molehills everywhere but I just couldn't catch the little buggers .

If you give alot more detail, about the situation, you describe,...& say what traps, you are using, etc ?,....then im sure some on here , can give you, advice ,....(not me though :laugh: , no offence !) Also, i only set one trap, for what i think, should (or could ?) be one mole ?,...... its only cause ive been at it, over 20 year now, & should know what im doing, (well, sometimes ! :D),....... I am in no way, suggesting, however,.....that this is the BEST way, for anybody else,.........

Edited by earth-thrower

Impressive. On domestics for medium Gardens I usually put 3 traps in and I will catch the mole in one of those traps 99% of the time. Agricultural customers where there are multiple moles in various locations around the site my catch rate is around 50%. So 10 traps = 5 moles.

Not a bad, average, overall,..... :yes:

• Like 1

Its impossible to answer.

I was doing a course yesterday so was away but the day before i did two gardens. One i had set five traps previous and caught five moles, thats a 100% strike rate but if youd asked me while setting id have sworn there was only 1 - 2 moles maximum. The other garden i had set 5 traps along the long driveway ( 100 yds) and caught 1 mole but there was only one mole to catch. So i got 100% of the moles but i had a strike rate of 20%.

Id concentrate on taking your time setting each trap, make each one as perfect as you possibly can. Choose your trap for that particular soil type ( i have five different types i choose between, dont just "make do" with whats in your hand) If its a scissor make sure the trigger is right on the edge of going off, maybe off kilter a bit. If its a duffus make sure the triggers are true to the trap and the run is as smooth as a babys bum etc. Make sure nothing can hinder your traps mechanism etc. Once you do these things naturally your strike rate will steadily improve.

• Like 2

Its impossible to answer.

I was doing a course yesterday so was away but the day before i did two gardens. One i had set five traps previous and caught five moles, thats a 100% strike rate but if youd asked me while setting id have sworn there was only 1 - 2 moles maximum. The other garden i had set 5 traps along the long driveway ( 100 yds) and caught 1 mole but there was only one mole to catch. So i got 100% of the moles but i had a strike rate of 20%.

Id concentrate on taking your time setting each trap, make each one as perfect as you possibly can. Choose your trap for that particular soil type ( i have five different types i choose between, dont just "make do" with whats in your hand) If its a scissor make sure the trigger is right on the edge of going off, maybe off kilter a bit. If its a duffus make sure the triggers are true to the trap and the run is as smooth as a babys bum etc. Make sure nothing can hinder your traps mechanism etc. Once you do these things naturally your strike rate will steadily improve.

Hey Trappa, i agree with SOME of this ?,...ha ha (in truth, theres bound too be differences, however slight, in how we each , go about things ?),......but , the fella who asked, wont go wrong, taking on board, what your saying , here ? :yes:

Never sat down and worked it out , 2 domestic jobs today on opposite sides of the road . one had 8 traps down , first check caught 3 moles . The one opposite only 4 traps but caught 2 moles .It would be a task to work the average out over a year never mind a lifetime.. :blink:

Yes defo, we will all trap differently. What is it you disagree with btw? curious

Yes defo, we will all trap differently. What is it you disagree with btw? curious

Me & my big mouth !,..... :laugh: ,.....well, i dont choose between, "five different types" of mole trap, for different soil types ?,....i make do, with the 'half-barrels',....unless, on a very rare occasion, i cant get one in !,.....i will use a 'trapline' or two ? (i am certainly not saying, anyones 'method', is wrong ,....its just what suits, the individual ?),.....& i 'probably' wouldnt have set, "five traps", for what i thought, were "one or two", moles ?,....but , thats just me ,......

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 1

the farm in question was up in the moorlands shallow soil about 12'' it had been plastered with manure the year before which i assume boosted the worm population hence the influx of moles, I was using the traps that the farmer had the scissor type maybe I would have been better with a different sort of trap .

the farm in question was up in the moorlands shallow soil about 12'' it had been plastered with manure the year before which i assume boosted the worm population hence the influx of moles, I was using the traps that the farmer had the scissor type maybe I would have been better with a different sort of trap .

You can catch , with the 'scissor type',...(of course) ?,.... but nowadays, i would say, they are very often NOT, the first choice, of many a mole catcher ? :yes:

Me & my big mouth !,..... :laugh: ,.....well, i dont choose between, "five different types" of mole trap, for different soil types ?,....i make do, with the 'half-barrels',....unless, on a very rare occasion, i cant get one in !,.....i will use a 'trapline' or two ? (i am certainly not saying, anyones 'method', is wrong ,....its just what suits, the individual ?),.....& i 'probably' wouldnt have set, "five traps", for what i thought, were "one or two", moles ?,....but , thats just me ,......
Any pics of you mole traps set?...just curious