• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am still hanging my hams from last year.  The last pig went in December 2016. These hams were left in brine for 3 weeks then hung in January. I got them down in August and sliced them usin

A friend brought his meat slicer round today and we took one of the new hams down and sliced it for bacon. The bacon slicer was an Andrew James at appx £60. It did very well with a large lump of

The meat from the first pigs arrived tonight. This was £50 per pig for joints then an additional £30 for the sausages - worked at £1 per pound processed. Plus the £20 slaughterhouse fee, though that

Posted Images

4 hours ago, dodger said:

Good thread what sort of profit can be made on pigs then n what is recommended for beginners 

Dunno about making a profit.

if you had your own land fenced properly,could buy in piglets for £25 then if you supplemented their feed with waste food an foraging it like in ww2 times could be cheap pork.

• Like 1
On 20/11/2017 at 23:59, PeskyWabbits said:

Yes, they have been boned. 

I notice that those hams you see in Aldi and Lidl at Christmas, still have the bone, and even the trotter still there.

While it didn't really occur to me and the butcher did it anyway, the bone would have been a problem at the slicing stage. 

This is spanish jamon ;) they are everywhere here and cost from 50 notes upto 1000s for one leg

On 12/3/2017 at 12:24, dodger said:

Good thread what sort of profit can be made on pigs then n what is recommended for beginners 

Profit is hard for small producers. I am heading that way but only because I already have the set up.

The main cost is always food.  If you lived next door to an arable farm or large green grocers, a dairy, a bakery and a brewery then your food bill would be nil.

So your costs would now be environment - housing - land - fence.  You can save money by building your own huts, there are plenty of instructions out there.

Purchase cost, usually the least of the lot. 

Vets - you just can't predict

Slaughtering - generally about £15 per animal

Butchering - seems to range from £40 to £100 per pig. Or you could do it yourself, on your kitchen table with your set of knives from Argos.

As I got into all this I found that it is about economies of scale.  Where you save in one area it often costs in another.

You can see why farms are the successful producers.

There is another way, you could just buy a pig and get it slaughtered and butchered. Visit an auction, it is always a surprise how little some animals go for. The price depends on the audience. 

Personally, I would forget about the profit and look to providing a good supply of meat and a very rewarding past time.

A friend brought his meat slicer round today and we took one of the new hams down and sliced it for bacon.

The bacon slicer was an Andrew James at appx £60. It did very well with a large lump of meat though we were careful the motor didn't get too warm.  It might have been fine, but I did't want it ruining our fun. 

The bacon was so nice, I had it for dinner and then again for tea with a egg.  

Slicing Bacon sm.jpg

Bacon and Egg.jpg

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...