• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am still hanging my hams from last year.  The last pig went in December 2016. These hams were left in brine for 3 weeks then hung in January. I got them down in August and sliced them usin

A friend brought his meat slicer round today and we took one of the new hams down and sliced it for bacon. The bacon slicer was an Andrew James at appx £60. It did very well with a large lump of

The meat from the first pigs arrived tonight. This was £50 per pig for joints then an additional £30 for the sausages - worked at £1 per pound processed. Plus the £20 slaughterhouse fee, though that

Posted Images

anyone ever raised pigs and couldn't kill them after

I know a farmer,otherwise hard-headed ,who kept a huge sow that he said had just become"part of the place". All his othe r pigs met the usual end but this one lived the life of Riley long after it was any use for breeding.

I think I'm not alone in thinking that piglets are really cute and endearing but there comes a time when they start getting cheeky . Then they get mischievous and a bit troublesome . Then they get big and clever and a bit risky for kids to be around. Then comes the point when they fight you for the food bucket and start really trashing things and they ain't so endearing anymore. Which makes it easier to say goodbye

The middle-whites and this year's OS&Bs are quite good but the Berkshires took naughtyness to another level.

post-13773-0-85844500-1505948915_thumb.jpg

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2

When we took our pig on there was talk of a contract on how the pig couldn't stay st the farm for ever an had to be either sent off or removed by ourselves,never did sign or receive it,

Lots of people asked how we can go and visit it an stroke it knowing it's going to die .

But that's what I bought it for ,some people walk into the butchers choose a joint of pork,we chose a piglet an will get multiple joints of organic pork in one go.

• Like 2

Had a scary moment yesterday.

They are getting a bit big. I threw some apples in to divert them, then went in with the feed bucket. As I was pouring wheat pellets into the trough, I was charged from behind and knocked on to the floor. I was then trampled by hungry pigs. They weren't after me, just the trough but I couldn't move till another pig barged through and freed me.

I have booked 3 of them in to the abattoir for Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

First pigs went in last Monday. I had been dreading this as the trailer was only available on the morning they went.

As it happened, it was really easy.

I gave them short feeds for both meals the day before. On the morning, I led them with a bag of apples and they chased the apples to the back of the trailer.

I then shut the gates behind them.

Of course, I had forgotten to tag them. So with accomplices throwing apples into the trailer, I was able to enter via the side door. Tagging always looks much harder than it is. Load the pliers. Grab an ear. Press down with the pliers.

Sometimes you get a bit of a yelp but they don't make a song and dance of it.

At the other end, getting them up (they lie down) and out was a bit of an effort but again, they followed the apples into their stall.

Hope the others are as easy.

Another 3 went this morning.

The feed bill is more manageable now. The remaining 3 are on about half a bag a day. Much better than the 1 1/2 with 9 pigs, plus all the extras of apples and veg patch gluts.

Again, the trailer arrived on the morning, apples inside and curious, hungry pigs went in.

What will I do if I run out of apples?

The weather is pretty bad now, wind and rain every day. The field, despite the extension. is churned up mud.

How do those who over-winter outdoors cope?

The meat from the first pigs arrived tonight.

This was £50 per pig for joints then an additional £30 for the sausages - worked at £1 per pound processed.

Plus the £20 slaughterhouse fee, though that includes delivery to my butcher.

We are in it for the fun of keeping pigs. The main cost is still the feed.

I am hoping to collect 1 tonne bags of blown feed next year and shovel it out into my containers when I get home.

post-101455-0-09432900-1507148026_thumb.jpg

post-101455-0-99687200-1507148043_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The meat from the first pigs arrived tonight.

This was £50 per pig for joints then an additional £30 for the sausages - worked at £1 per pound processed.

Plus the £20 slaughterhouse fee, though that includes delivery to my butcher.

We are in it for the fun of keeping pigs. The main cost is still the feed.

I am hoping to collect 1 tonne bags of blown feed next year and shovel it out into my containers when I get home.

Which abbatoir do you use Pesky and would you recommend it ?

• 2 weeks later...

When I went yesterday the piglet that was the biggest in the litter is like a barrel but shorter than mine ,who was second biggest in the litter ,and mine is slighter taller ,thinner and looks longer in the back.

Hoping it feels out little bit more must remember to get a pic before it goes off.

• 3 weeks later...