Gifting Or Selling Pups?

Ya can only advise a man best ta let them of and learn from there mistakes I'v bought plenty over the years and I'v culled some shite to and got caught up in some shit aswell but il let sleeping dogs lie for the time been lol. I'v actually started ta enjoy the diging again the last couple months ha had the pleasure of some decent lads and see some very well bred dogs work good company have ta say.

• Like 2

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading through one of the other threads it had me thinking about how many of you lads gift pups out. And how many of you sell them? All the terriers in my Kennels have been given to me. Either by la

IMO a topic like this is wasted. For the likeminded lads this stuff is second nature and doesn't need explaining and for the others? Well they're never in it for the long run and think they can buy su

I was gifted a pup off a lad on here. At thirteen months old I new he wasn't going to suit me. I'd rared him from 6/8weeks.didnt cost me a thought dropped him back. He's after been dug twice since. Th

Ya can only advise a man best ta let them of and learn from there mistakes I'v bought plenty over the years and I'v culled some shite to and got caught up in some shit aswell but il let sleeping dogs lie for the time been lol. I'v actually started ta enjoy the diging again the last couple months ha had the pleasure of some decent lads and see some very well bred dogs work good company have ta say.

Thats what its all about,day out along with the craic that goes with it.

• Like 1

It's hard enough to buy a good pup never mind being gifted one so as long as the breeder don't just sell to the first person who turns up I don't see no problem else how are people such as myself supposed to get back into it ?

I can understand if it's your first pup and you don't know anyone that has terriers, although that is the exception rather then the rule surely. Most lads on the game are brought up with it or get onto it by knowing like minded people. So you would always have someone to give you a pup. I think alot of it is proving your worthy of a pup. Putting the time and effort in to show you are going to graft the dog.

My point was more for the "Breeder" of the pups. I can't understand why a couple of hundred quid would be more important then knowing how they have turned out. Even if it's selfishly to bring something back in down the line.

If you sell that pup it's gone.

• Like 4

I was gifted a pup off a lad on here. At thirteen months old I new he wasn't going to suit me. I'd rared him from 6/8weeks.didnt cost me a thought dropped him back. He's after been dug twice since. That's how it should be done. And not a penny Involved

• Like 9

I usually don't bother my arse replying to you as you are just an irritant.

I have lots of friends....... not like some or do you want to be more precise?

And my opinion is just that, my opinion and all my friends know exactly how I feel about selling working dogs. No secret there.

But whatever someone else chooses to do with "their" dogs is "their" business, no matter what I think or believe. It doesn't affect me.

It also doesn't mean a man would have good or bad dogs in their yard if they sell them? It's what less knowledgeable men do with the purchased dogs is usually the problem. Some if they are crap try to recoup their money and others wouldn't know a good one from bad or even get enough work for a dog.

Plenty good dog men have sold dogs it just ain't my thing.

& I'm lucky enough to be involved with a group of people with the type I like to keep not to have to worry about buying any dogs anytime soon.

I agree 100% that plenty of good terriermen have sold terriers and hopefully they'll continue to do so or so many new comers might have no chance to join the fancy.

But what's your opinion on those who breed from 4 or 5 bitches a year, fake pedigrees and repeat matings that didn't work out the first time ?

Would you bother with such folk ?

Looks like you are casting a wide net as I have many friends?????

I was quite clear in both my posts "I" don't like selling working dogs.

Does that mean I wont speak to men that do? Not at all. Does it mean I agree with what others do? Not at all. But it is none of my business either as it doesn't affect me or you for that matter. I would not be happy if a pup or dog I gave away for free was sold or pups off them sold. But that matter is made clear and it thankfully hasn't happened as yet.

Again with the dogs I keep (the white mish mash types) and the other men that keep this type do not sell them or feel justified to sell them to some young lad or anyone that is genuinely interested or wants to get into the game. No matter what the reason. I have worked dogs with lads that hadn't much, but the dogs were always looked after and never a pups sold. The children would starve first.

If someone does sell pups belonged to this wider group the doors close. End of story.

Maybe its a Cork things with so many terrier lads growing up around the many many hound packs down this way that they saw the way the hound pack dealt sensibly with each other? If service was sought then a pick of the litter went back. Simply really and it works just fine for me and many others.

So not sure where you are going with this nor do I really care.

Edited by Corkman
  • Like 2

I was gifted a pup off a lad on here. At thirteen months old I new he wasn't going to suit me. I'd rared him from 6/8weeks.didnt cost me a thought dropped him back. He's after been dug twice since. That's how it should be done. And not a penny Involved

. A gunine man true to his word sound pal.
  • Like 1

If you want the recipe get your hands in your pocket.

I guess if you are a serious dogman breeding should only be done to improve your dogs and to keep the line going, breeding shouldn't take place because someone wants to make a dollar. I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone selling their pups to the right people.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I've never bred a litter for ten years but if and when I do I'll make sure the lads that keep the same blood will have them off me instead of advertising them for money and nobody I don't know personally would get one. I've not got any better or worse than the next man but I'll be slapped with a wet fish if I was to give joe bloggs a crack at what I've put my time into. Money tempts people to do things that there Conscience and better judgment shouldn't let them do

• Like 1

I've never bred a litter for ten years but if and when I do I'll make sure the lads that keep the same blood will have them off me instead of advertising them for money and nobody I don't know personally would get one. I've not got any better or worse than the next man but I'll be slapped with a wet fish if I was to give joe bloggs a crack at what I've put my time into. Money tempts people to do things that there Conscience and better judgment shouldn't let them do

• Like 5

Does it really matter if someone sells the pups for a few quid.. There plenty of folk in the hunting game that makes a few quid throu selling dogs'..weather it is a terrier,lurcher or gun dog its all the same..

• Like 1