23 replies to this topic

#1 oakey

oakey

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:38 pm

Can you propagate hazel the same way as willow ie to cut a stick and stick it in the ground somewhere else ? Some bushes by me are set to be grubbed out so we can have eco solar panels .   

#2 Waz

Waz

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,299 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:49 pm

You can lay it over cut back the bark and peg into the ground to get root growth. Then maybe uplift that new root ball.

#3 jok

jok

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:55 pm

No mate. You can't. Willow and some poplar varieties will certainly take root over time. Hazel certainly will not. Jok.

#4 leethedog

leethedog

Extreme feltcher

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:36 am

Airlayering is a technique that will work on any tree or shrub goole it i used to use it to remove branches from trees that would make a well shaped bonzai tree

#5 Tiercel

Tiercel

Extreme Hunter

• 7,450 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:09 am

Airlayering is a technique that will work on any tree or shrub goole it i used to use it to remove branches from trees that would make a well shaped bonzai tree

:yes:  https://www.rhs.org....profile?PID=405

TC

#6 stealthy1

stealthy1

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 15,427 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:38 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hardwood1.shtml

#7 gnipper

gnipper

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 5,602 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:59 pm

How big are the bushes? Can you not transplant the whole thing?
  • leegreen likes this

#8 Rabid

Rabid

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:57 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hardwood1.shtml

Not quite sure how that works, hardwood cuttings, done between Autumn and Spring-remove large leaves and shoots, my hardwoods don't have leaves or shoots between Autumn and Spring.

I have a large hazel tree in my garden, so have been following this with interest as would love to plant some more around the farm from it if possible.

#9 gnipper

gnipper

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 5,602 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:58 pm

Bare root hazel whips aren't very expensive for anyone interested in planting some around the place.
  • leegreen, BRYAN3, low plains drifter and 1 other like this

#10 jok

jok

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:33 pm

Taking it a step further then. I, for years and years, have used willow for both runner bean and pea sticks in my garden. Each year they bud and leaf even forming roots. I then take them out after harvest, bundle them up and put them away for next year. Last year I was gifted 2 bundles of ash and hazel. They dried out within 4/5 weeks . No chance whatsoever of regrowth. Now maybe young shoots, given a growth hormone might propagate but adult branches, in my opinion. Will not. Jok.

#11 riohog

riohog

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 9,276 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:37 pm

bend the hazel over to the ground nick it with a knife and peg to ground job done//

#12 riohog

riohog

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 9,276 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:41 pm

bend the hazel over to the ground nick it with a knife and peg to ground job done//

another trick cut some hazel whips split an inch or so at the bottom put a little stone in the split and replant  

• Rabid likes this

#13 Rabid

Rabid

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:45 pm

another trick cut some hazel whips split an inch or so at the bottom put a little stone in the split and replant

Really, and this will regenerate ?

#14 riohog

riohog

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 9,276 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:48 pm

its what they used to do years ago  im not sure if it works every time  but it does work

• Rabid likes this

#15 Rabid

Rabid

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:56 pm

its what they used to do years ago  im not sure if it works every time  but it does work

Never to old to learn, I had never heard that before. I will give it a try and see what happens as I have access to plenty.
  • riohog likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users