Sweet Little .45.

Well done U.

You look like something out of a Hitchcock movie.

Come to think of it, You could do a sort of Jack Hargreaves vid with all your weird guns.

Weird! Real you mean I hope ;-)

But if you don't educate us poor heathens as to the what where how and when how will we know if they're "real" or something you just cobbled together?

Just a couple of lines for each gun in the pic would do for now :-)

But if you don't educate us poor heathens as to the what where how and when how will we know if they're "real" or something you just cobbled together?

Just a couple of lines for each gun in the pic would do for now :-)

It's a .45 Kentucky rifle without the rifling!

Generally called a smooth rifle. It means it can shoot shot and ball.

This one was made by armi sport about 1983.

U :-)

Thanks U but I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to know more. This is not the place for it but I'd love another post showing how it's loaded, with what and how much. Is the wherewithal easy to come by these days or is it DIY? How does it compare to a 12G?

Thanks U but I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to know more. This is not the place for it but I'd love another post showing how it's loaded, with what and how much. Is the wherewithal easy to come by these days or is it DIY? How does it compare to a 12G?

Comparing to a modern shotgun is folly but if one wants to get back to basics and hunt smarter and harder then this makes for a satisfying style.

This .45 reaches 30yards with 5/8-3/4oz of shot.

50+yards with a single ball or my favourite, two balls.

I make my own lubricant for the bore and external protection. Olive oil mixed with melted candle wax.

For wads I just buy leather punches and stamp card or leather. Beer mats and old felt hats work too.

Black powder is very forgiving load wise.

The big no no with black powder is that there must be no cavity between powder and pay load.

Washing is simple, just hot water, dry and lubricant.

U.

Fascinating.

Do you pour the powder in with a flask type thing or do you make up some sort of cartridge filled with powder?

Are the percussion caps easily available these days? I rather think they would be with all the re-enactment going on.

Best not pour from a flask, if an ember is down bore (rare) the flask could explode.

I pour into a measure then down the barrel.

For the .45 Kentucky I use a cut down 444 marlin case as a measure tied to the bag.

For my larger guns I use home made antler measures. I have used just cut down shot shells before now.

I do sometimes make pre measured paper cartridges yes. It speeds up loading a little. Here is an old photo.

DSC08856_zpsqwmsycmz.jpg

Percussion caps are widely available yes.

U.:-)

It's also a myth that the fouling will rot a gun before your eyes!

The fouling contains salts.

If no mineral oil products are used and only vegetable or animal oil based fats the salts are held in suspension.

Mineral oil can not carry salt so it can still react with the iron.

Sometimes I don't clean my guns for days thanks to nothing more than an olive oil based grease.

Just don't get it around the nipple or in the breech or it will spoil ignition.

U.