Want To Get First Dog...advice Please

Everyone ones saying every dogs different which is true, but every type of autism is different which is why it's called autistic spectrum disorder (asd). My daughters autistic and whilst she's good with my dogs and my dogs good with her I wouldn't leave any dog with any child unaccompanied. Build a kennel it's alot easier and that way you have piece of mind

Know what you mean mate...although my 2 boys are both autistic they are the complete opposite of each other...looking like a kennel is the way to go
  • Like 1

Id would suggest a good lab. Great faimly dog and tolerates alot.

I think labs are responsible for more biting incidents than any other breed in the uk. I was shocked at the statistic but they are popular.

If I was you I'd kennel the dog if your getting one I've a five year old with autism my old lurcher birch was terrified of him he throws his toys and stuff around I ended up putting her outside and only let them in when kids are in bed.Good luck whatever you choose.

Did you have any problems with your child trying to grab the dog or getting a bit heavy handed?

No pal never had a problem he isn't really into dogs but he likes to see them playing and fetch the ball

Edited by peterhunter86

While you're waiting and thinking it over, I really recommend you read Jackie Drakeford's 'Dogs in Mind'. Brilliant, interesting book.

I also think, for what its worth, that you should think about what it is you expect from a dog, and what you have to offer one.

Living with a dog is a great pleasure, but also often a f****n nightmare. Lots of dogs end up in rescues (or pts) because people have idealised or unrealistic expectations of them, so it will be worth waiting until you're confident you are all ready for 12 or more years with an animal family member, and have the time, patience and commitment it needs.

Also, depending on how severe your littles' special needs are, you are probs already aware that a dog who is good therapy dog for them may well not be a good hunting companion for you. Take your time...and then enjoy when the time is right.

• Like 2

Most of the biting labs are show bred , working blood lines are totally different.

Spot on for catty an kids imo.

A good point. Just because a dog has a KC cert and looks like a Labrador does not mean that it is a Labrador. Labs were developed as gun dogs as we all know and the qualities that they were selectively bred for just so happened to make them ideal pet dogs. But most now are so far removed from that, as regards intelligent selective breeding, that they are a different breed . I only say this because some of this breed that I've came across in recent years have been very dog aggressive. Not a trait that would be expected or tolerated in a gun dog breed but accepted by the modern owner/breeder.

I have always tried to have at least one terrier in the house. Working terriers either born or brought into the home at an early age. These dogs have always behaved impeccably with kids. The thing I always looked for is how a pup reacts when a bairn upsets them. Any self preservation reaction from the pup, however justified, would relegate it to the kennels outside. The correct reaction from the pup is total subservience and thinking that IT had done something wrong .Always under close observation and control of course.

I am no way qualified to give advice on this subject but would say 1) the breed of dog is irrelevant, it's the actual breeding that counts 2) kids love dogs and good dogs love kids, usually.

• Like 2

Well said east coast

I would be after a pup from good sound child bombproof parents, reared in the house around kids with the dam, then when the pup is ready to take home you bring the pup up in your house with the kids with you around at all times, to correct the kids and the pup on correct behaviour from day one.

As most have said all pups are different and all breeds are different good and bad in every breed. I didn't have a kid when got lurchers at pup they will get man handled and chased by my 2.5 year old boy and will go over to him for it then walk away when had enough.

The older Beddy bitch wasn't brought up with my boy and will keep away from him if she can most time but will let him climb on her etc

The 2 beddy pups I bred have here since day one and with boy similar age to them, they will both pester my boy more than he does to them and will be very submissive to my boy and he can do anything to them.

All dogs are different but upbringing can change a dog for the rest of its life.

A cage in the house for the pup to sleep in from day you bring it home would be a good idea and anytime you needed lock pup in away from kids you could

i have indoor dogs and two rough grandsons. the dogs that where raised with the kids are bombproof. but never leave dogs alone with young children autistic or not. safety gates and a crate are great an escape route for dog and child :thumbs: with care your kids should be able to have all the benifits of a family dog. research the precautions you need to put in place and the best breeds that would suite your young uns and yourself. my friend has two autistic children . and two golden retreivers . works for them. :thumbs:

Had some good advice already tbh but for my penny worth I teach in a special school which A fair proportion of the kids are on the asd scale right through the spectrum, I regularly take the dogs in to work for the kids to handle groom etc and we even get the lure out on the field occasionally for the lurcher to run against the kids. My observations have been that all four of my dogs are happy enough around the kids and do seen I have an understanding of them however loud it becomes but they all need a place they can chill out like all dogs. If it were me and I was dead set on getting a dog I personally would kennel the dog or better still if you have a utility area section it off securely (no kids) and allow this to become the dogs main sleeping area they soon learn to chill out in this area if given enough exercise. At school with the asd kids the dogs are kept in a small sectioned area of the classroom when in and therefore they only interact with the kids when they want too ie they come to the fence/ gate and look to be petting, obviously the kids are supervised at all times but in fairness despite many of them having never meet dogs and showing challenging behaviour at home and school they don't generally man handle the dogs. I have a toddler at home and I follow the rules this way the dogs are kept in the utility until the evening when the little one is calm and ready for bed. I know some do different but I personally don't like seeing dogs being bothered by kids sharing a sofa, playing around with them in the home etc but that's jmo I like a dog to be asleep or chilled out when indoors and ready for action when out ad sharing a walk with the kids. I am by no means any kind of expert but just my experience, no doubt if done correctly a dog can add a lot to a kids life and perhaps Even more so those with autism atb

Edited by matt1979
  • Like 3

Any dog if your bring it up right. Don't leave it with the kids unattended and give it somewhere it can go and chill out without being hassled. I've got 2 young kids and 5 dogs ranging from 13 years old right down to a16 week pup. No bother at all with them it's how yout treat the dog not what breed it is imo.