Fox Bite On Dog ...any Suggestions...

He should have put a antibiotic tube in to to hole witch would have helped to kill the infection before it started it going to take a long time to heal now get some derma gel it will help the skin to grow and keep the dirt off in

ile try that gel..shes going down to the mates house the marra he lives right at the beach,he sez it be in the sea twice a day walking.reckon there be a big improvement in a week

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Flush it with a saline solution and a 10ml syringe twice a day for a couple of days then smear it with Manuka honey keep the lamp shade on and 7 days antibiotics the vet has prescribed.

Good luck with the wound. Took it's time but got there in the end.    

That looks like a bad bacterial infection. Sometimes even the smallest of wounds can lead to cellulitis, which affects the skin and subcutaneous tissue. I got it once after being stung by a wasp. Whol

Posted Images

That looks like a bad bacterial infection. Sometimes even the smallest of wounds can lead to cellulitis, which affects the skin and subcutaneous tissue. I got it once after being stung by a wasp. Whole leg went purple: mega strong long course of antibiotics did the job, but I've seen photos of people with infections very like your dog. I would get a second opinion from a different vet if it were my dog. It could be that the whole area needs to be debrided: meaning that the rotten tissue is cut away and the wound left open to heal slowly, but it's a nasty scenario and could take months to heal. See another vet if you're not happy with the treatment the dog is getting from your current vet.

• Like 5

That looks like a bad bacterial infection. Sometimes even the smallest of wounds can lead to cellulitis, which affects the skin and subcutaneous tissue. I got it once after being stung by a wasp. Whole leg went purple: mega strong long course of antibiotics did the job, but I've seen photos of people with infections very like your dog. I would get a second opinion from a different vet if it were my dog. It could be that the whole area needs to be debrided: meaning that the rotten tissue is cut away and the wound left open to heal slowly, but it's a nasty scenario and could take months to heal. See another vet if you're not happy with the treatment the dog is getting from your current vet.

hes the top g/hound vet here in the north,the dead skin is more or less away now,he mentioned cellulitis and said it would take months healing as theres nothing to stitch,just a matter of keeping it clean now,its on its way now to be at the beach for a week somebody here mentioned derma gel have you ever used that..i think the sea water twice a day might make a big difference.

I would keep a wound like that dry and clean, you don't want sand in it, or sea water, you just don't know what's in it.

no.theres a concrete ramp running into the sea to walk the dog along in the water.theres a few million pound worth of racehorses walked in the same water everyday so it should be sound,ive always used salt water

• Like 1

Flush it with a saline solution and a 10ml syringe twice a day for a couple of days then smear it with Manuka honey keep the lamp shade on and 7 days antibiotics the vet has prescribed.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 6

How London was it before vet treated after the bite

happened on a tues.she run a hare and kill it after the fox incident,eat up well [BANNED TEXT] home,then on wed evening could hardly walk.looked more like astosis than anything.vet on thurs mornin......mate sez it thinks its on its holidays at the beach

I would keep a wound like that dry and clean, you don't want sand in it, or sea water, you just don't know what's in it.

no.theres a concrete ramp running into the sea to walk the dog along in the water.theres a few million pound worth of racehorses walked in the same water everyday so it should be sound,ive always used salt water

I'll bet those race horses don't have open sores.

Keep the dog out of the sea.

When the wound is completely healed by all means swim it.

The injury is a result of an under-estimated wound allowed to get out of hand, but can be cured by common sense.

• Like 5

He should have put a antibiotic tube in to to hole witch would have helped to kill the infection before it started it going to take a long time to heal now get some derma gel it will help the skin to grow and keep the dirt off in

ile try that gel..shes going down to the mates house the marra he lives right at the beach,he sez it be in the sea twice a day walking.reckon there be a big improvement in a week
I wouldn't do that it needs to dry up and start knitting back

The injury is a result of an under-estimated wound allowed to get out of hand, but can be cured by common sense.

Your right there Neil and I would never go to that vet again

• Like 2

a lesson for us all i think. foxes feed on all sorts of filth, and invariably carry nasty bacteria in their mouths. a slash wound is generally not too bad, but punctures almost always fester if not treated right.

ANY wound should be washed out as soon as possible, pure water is as good as anything, you can use iodine solutions but if they are too strong they will actually damage the new tissue. more important than what you use, is how thoroughly you clean it. slash wounds are easy to clean, but punctures need to be properly flushed with a syringe. they should be flushed twice a day and any scab gently removed before flushing, so the hole can heal from the bottom upwards.

the second thing to do is start antibiotics straight away, dont wait to see if the wound will heal or not, just start ABs straight away. get proper stuff from the vet, dont just guess which will be effective or use grannys old stuff from the medicine cupboard or something the cat was given 10 years ago, take the dog to the vet and get a proper prescription. dont be tight. the wound will always swell to some degree, but should go down in a few days.

i hope this dog gets well, and it isnt in too much pain for the rest of its healing time

• Like 1

Beast I wouldn't be using antibiotic every time me dog got a nip or cut. Some things best ain't said on here but for bites hydro peroxide 6% well diluted for the first flush the rest with warm salty water keep a close eye on it any sign of infection then get the ABs out. its hard to get but dry cow is some of the best stuff I've ever used for this sort of thing. You see a lot of people just chucking cut n heal or purple spray on a cut without cleaning it this is asking for trouble in my honest opinion.

Obviously if your out of your depth or dog is suffering a vet needs called that goes without saying.

All the best with the dog nans pat

Edited by C.green
  • Like 2

the injury is the result of a nip by a fox,the vet knew exactly what was happening hes seen it and treated it before.and its been cured now with common sense with anti biotics n sea water,shes plenty of time now to doss about and heal up till oct.

Beast I wouldn't be using antibiotic every time me dog got a nip or cut. Some things best ain't said on here but for bites hydro peroxide 6% well diluted for the first flush the rest with warm salty water keep a close eye on it any sign of infection then get the ABs out. its hard to get but dry cow is some of the best stuff I've ever used for this sort of thing. You see a lot of people just chucking cut n heal or purple spray on a cut without cleaning it this is asking for trouble in my honest opinion.

Obviously if your out of your depth or dog is suffering a vet needs called that goes without saying.

All the best with the dog nans pat

cheers,theres a farm shop up the road might have that dry cow gear..wat way does that work.