Hare Coursing In The Desert Southwest (Usa)

Seen some fast hares but never seen a fox do 48mph, bet you bull x fellas are aswell lol

Buddy, I wish you could see a North Dakota fox cruise across the plains. The speed doesn't even look real. I never have run a fox in the Southwest but will someday. My in-laws live outside Reno, Nevada. It's only a matter of time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The hares were lightweight and quite leggy not as Quick as the UK brown hares but tough and up for a run . they could go all day born at altitude and had wind to spare.Game seems sparse but I think it

The Taiga a Mongolian dual purpose guard hunting dog seen them crossed with Saluki hard as nails will tackle anything bit heavy for quick stuff but game as they come usually from accidental matings ,P

This one is for all of the folks in the UK that have seen a fair amount of hare coursing and were wondering how some of the dogs here in the USA compare with the UK stock. I don't know enough to make

Posted Images

Keep that lead dog and cull the other two .......

That doesn't mean they would run that way single handed.
Do you think those dogs were working as a pack ??? .....

I know dogs don't always run to the best of their ability when doubled up or ran with more dogs.

• Like 1

I know dogs don't always run to the best of their ability when doubled up or ran with more dogs.

Haven't seen the clip but I know some greyhounds start running cunning at park coursing and know of some lurchers that get run doubled all the time and hang back and taking stuff that comes accross them. Like you say dog some animals run different doubled.

• Like 1

hard to see lots of it,,,certainly some wide open space you have,,,is it farmland or goverment owned land,,,and do you need permision,,im asuming you do if its farm land....and do you just drive round till you put a hare up?

In the area the video takes place it's either a ranch that is many thousands of acres large or govt. land. Govt. land in that region of the country can be millions of acres large. If you don't mind having to constantly think about where you'll get your next tank of water, you can roam around out there for ages and not run into another soul. It's pretty dry country.

If I was a rich man I would give every deserving dog man a camp and one hell of a vacation package in that part of the country.

You want to see critters! South Texas is filled to the brim. The edge of the irrigated farmland in Utah where it meets the desert and sorts of other places. They had a hare boom in North Dakota a couple of years ago and the big white volleyballs were sitting in peoples yards at the edge of town enough to make their yards look polka doted.

If my dogs didn't run to their best of their ability because there was competition then they wouldn't be in my yard long ... I would expect my dogs to be working twice as hard if there was another dog competing for game .......

• Like 1

Those hares were moving on, Its difficult to make a true assessment, In my opinion, a lot of the UK dogs would be found wanting, IE, that ground is rock hard, you need pace, great feet, and lungs like bellows, and at least 5 minutes in the tank, (((( A special type of dog, 26" to 28" a good long striding dog, a different kettle of fish, + of course a coursing Brain, ((((( as the old saying goes you breed a dog for the land you run on, Thank you for the video, well done,

SALUKI......................!!

If my dogs didn't run to their best of their ability because there was competition then they wouldn't be in my yard long ... I would expect my dogs to be working twice as hard if there was another dog competing for game .......

It pains me to say it but I agree with Socks here!

Three dogs on one hare in that amount of space should've been over with quickly - and yeah, for me if 2 dogs run together I like to see some serious competition between the them.. The competitive edge makes a working dog

• Like 1

It pains me to say it but I agree with Socks here!

Three dogs on one hare in that amount of space should've been over with quickly - and yeah, for me if 2 dogs run together I like to see some serious competition between the them.. The competitive edge makes a working dog

Don't forget the speed of a black tailed jackrabbit, they're faster than what you have over there by all accounts. If you have three dogs that blow it out right from the start, there won't be enough left to actually catch it...and once in a while a catch must be made otherwise you might as well chase cars. Once in a while our best whippet blood can catch one on the first push but those dogs are so fast it's sick.

Those hares were moving on, Its difficult to make a true assessment, In my opinion, a lot of the UK dogs would be found wanting, IE, that ground is rock hard, you need pace, great feet, and lungs like bellows, and at least 5 minutes in the tank, (((( A special type of dog, 26" to 28" a good long striding dog, a different kettle of fish, + of course a coursing Brain, ((((( as the old saying goes you breed a dog for the land you run on, Thank you for the video, well done,

A paceySaluki born for the things you describe

I worked in Saudi Arabia, in the mid 70s for Rashid Owiada Al-qatani, an extremely rich Bedouin, his family had there special Salukis + racing camels, In my opinion you need more than Saluki, in the mix, Win, goes over to the states, and he was saying those Jack rabbits and Hares can shift, Dutch salmons, hope thats the guys name, who he has been out with, the breed he had had a mix of greyhound, deerhound, and saluki, bred from worker to worker, and they ran in pairs not single handed,

The pure Saluki is not the answer, come up to Scotland, the Hare will wave good bye to them all day long FACT, not FICTION,

i ve seen Scots hares LOL I could catch them myself, bit more fiction than fact but if its silly talk season does it matter?

• Like 1