Hare Coursing In The Desert Southwest (Usa)

Those hares were moving on, Its difficult to make a true assessment, In my opinion, a lot of the UK dogs would be found wanting, IE, that ground is rock hard, you need pace, great feet, and lungs like bellows, and at least 5 minutes in the tank, (((( A special type of dog, 26" to 28" a good long striding dog, a different kettle of fish, + of course a coursing Brain, ((((( as the old saying goes you breed a dog for the land you run on, Thank you for the video, well done,

A paceySaluki born for the things you describe

I worked in Saudi Arabia, in the mid 70s for Rashid Owiada Al-qatani, an extremely rich Bedouin, his family had there special Salukis + racing camels, In my opinion you need more than Saluki, in the mix, Win, goes over to the states, and he was saying those Jack rabbits and Hares can shift, Dutch salmons, hope thats the guys name, who he has been out with, the breed he had had a mix of greyhound, deerhound, and saluki, bred from worker to worker, and they ran in pairs not single handed,

99% of the time we run our dogs single handed and they have apretty good strike rate

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The hares were lightweight and quite leggy not as Quick as the UK brown hares but tough and up for a run . they could go all day born at altitude and had wind to spare.Game seems sparse but I think it

The Taiga a Mongolian dual purpose guard hunting dog seen them crossed with Saluki hard as nails will tackle anything bit heavy for quick stuff but game as they come usually from accidental matings ,P

This one is for all of the folks in the UK that have seen a fair amount of hare coursing and were wondering how some of the dogs here in the USA compare with the UK stock. I don't know enough to make

Posted Images

The pure Saluki is not the answer, come up to Scotland, the Hare will wave good bye to them all day long FACT, not FICTION,

i ve seen Scots hares LOL I could catch them myself, bit more fiction than fact but if its silly talk season does it matter? Ive run salukis from the 50,s and still doing it all over the Globe there is fact for you.

Keep that lead dog and cull the other two .......

That doesn't mean they would run that way single handed.
Do you think those dogs were working as a pack ??? .....

I know dogs don't always run to the best of their ability when doubled up or ran with more dogs.

If my dogs didn't run to their best of their ability because there was competition then they wouldn't be in my yard long ... I would expect my dogs to be working twice as hard if there was another dog competing for game .......

It pains me to say it but I agree with Socks here!

Three dogs on one hare in that amount of space should've been over with quickly - and yeah, for me if 2 dogs run together I like to see some serious competition between the them.. The competitive edge makes a working dog

i dont think its the same trying to compair what we have ,,with watching them clips,,,,difrent hare and totaly difrent ground...

them jackrabbits are absolutly flying,,,on very dry firm surface,,intersected with bits of scrub brush,,wich from time to time is going to hinder the dog,,especialy sight,,,

i also think socks is incorect,,,those two lagging behind might just not be up to the job in hand,,hare killing,,,but maybe they are used for other game,,,without more info its hard to say...you you cull one of yours cos it couldnt handle a fen hare in jan,,,course not,,you bred them as rabbit catchers..

to me from them few clips,,,they look like one very dificult creature to catch...

i would also be intrested to here about the other jackrabbit species,,,,white tailed,,,white sided,,antilope,,ect

I thought the USA dogs had borzoi in them?

Now there is a useless piece of equipment for hare coursing. :laugh:

have you seen the vids of the russians hare coursing db,,,,they use some working borzio,,,and cross breds with grey and saluki...difrent to our show bred dogs..

Tomo ttying to create a hare dog out a rabbit dog very seldom happens and creating a rabbit dog out a failed hare dog is just beyond me fella

what im saying is,,,these yank fellas are known for having coyote killing dogs,,maybe those dogs are just that coyote dogs,,,and for a change went out to run a few hares,,,without knowing all the facts,,,i think its unfair to just say its a cull...

and whats wrong with a failed hare dog running a few rabbits,,,you dont have to breed from it..?

Keep that lead dog and cull the other two .......

That doesn't mean they would run that way single handed.
Do you think those dogs were working as a pack ??? .....
I know dogs don't always run to the best of their ability when doubled up or ran with more dogs.
If my dogs didn't run to their best of their ability because there was competition then they wouldn't be in my yard long ... I would expect my dogs to be working twice as hard if there was another dog competing for game .......
It pains me to say it but I agree with Socks here!

Three dogs on one hare in that amount of space should've been over with quickly - and yeah, for me if 2 dogs run together I like to see some serious competition between the them.. The competitive edge makes a working dog

i dont think its the same trying to compair what we have ,,with watching them clips,,,,difrent hare and totaly difrent ground...

them jackrabbits are absolutly flying,,,on very dry firm surface,,intersected with bits of scrub brush,,wich from time to time is going to hinder the dog,,especialy sight,,,

i also think socks is incorect,,,those two lagging behind might just not be up to the job in hand,,hare killing,,,but maybe they are used for other game,,,without more info its hard to say...you you cull one of yours cos it couldnt handle a fen hare in jan,,,course not,,you bred them as rabbit catchers..

to me from them few clips,,,they look like one very dificult creature to catch...

i would also be intrested to here about the other jackrabbit species,,,,white tailed,,,white sided,,antilope,,ect

Socks is incorrect .... how very fukcing dare you ... the culling comment was a bit tongue in cheek but if they are expected to catch jack rabbits then I out of the three I would only be wanting one of those dogs in my kennel ..... and my rabbit catchers could easily manage a fen hare ......
  • Like 1

I thought the USA dogs had borzoi in them?

Now there is a useless piece of equipment for hare coursing. :laugh:

have you seen the vids of the russians hare coursing db,,,,they use some working borzio,,,and cross breds with grey and saluki...difrent to our show bred dogs..

Been coursing and hunting with the Ruskies on the Mongolian Steppes and in Kazakstan to be honest not impressed with Borzois at all, they were originally bred for running wolf down mainly in forests different game out on the big flats. As you say seen some crosses but hard to see what Borzoi bring to the Table.. Show stuff in most breeds is detrimental to any breed from what I have seen , they have strange breed standards which often conflict with working qualities beauty does catch f**k all except maybe us Males LOL

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3