Hare Coursing In The Desert Southwest (Usa)

This one is for all of the folks in the UK that have seen a fair amount of hare coursing and were wondering how some of the dogs here in the USA compare with the UK stock. I don't know enough to make a fair comparison myself as I run mostly predetors but I'm very interested to hear honest assessments of what you all think.

"End of season hunt with Ricky Hickey, Milt Garrett and Melanie Keithley. Ran 3 sets of dogs today. Rabbits 6 dogs 0! We all got out run on these wicked hard running Desert black-tailed jackrabbits today south of Hagerman, New Mexico. The following video features the Quo Vadis pack Remington, Hitch and Sniper. Note the time, distance and terrain this incredible course covers... Proof that running sets of 3 is no piss take!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3GjHiLoia4&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Dan McDonough
  • Like 4

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The hares were lightweight and quite leggy not as Quick as the UK brown hares but tough and up for a run . they could go all day born at altitude and had wind to spare.Game seems sparse but I think it

The Taiga a Mongolian dual purpose guard hunting dog seen them crossed with Saluki hard as nails will tackle anything bit heavy for quick stuff but game as they come usually from accidental matings ,P

This one is for all of the folks in the UK that have seen a fair amount of hare coursing and were wondering how some of the dogs here in the USA compare with the UK stock. I don't know enough to make

Posted Images

The first thing I note the Hare has to run it has no where to go unless it can get to ground and thats unlikely the land it covers. The Hare seemed to fancy it chances it ran a fair whack until it put a turn in.my eyes were straining but looked like they were tracking in behind the Hare and pushing it on , a good courser would get just wide of it so the hare could see it and drop a gear then push on to induce a turn then drop a gear again. I think the Hares make for a good course I think a wizz banger would struggle if it couldnt drop them quickly. good distance covered at a good pace.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3

It would be interesting to put a GPS on the dogs and get the average speed. I run Garmin collars on all my dogs when they are out because I live in timber country but I don't think you could loose a dog out there, ought to be able to see them for miles.

• Like 1

hard to see lots of it,,,certainly some wide open space you have,,,is it farmland or goverment owned land,,,and do you need permision,,im asuming you do if its farm land....and do you just drive round till you put a hare up?

Those hares were moving on, Its difficult to make a true assessment, In my opinion, a lot of the UK dogs would be found wanting, IE, that ground is rock hard, you need pace, great feet, and lungs like bellows, and at least 5 minutes in the tank, (((( A special type of dog, 26" to 28" a good long striding dog, a different kettle of fish, + of course a coursing Brain, ((((( as the old saying goes you breed a dog for the land you run on, Thank you for the video, well done,

• Like 1

Keep that lead dog and cull the other two .......

That doesn't mean they would run that way single handed.

Do you think those dogs were working as a pack ??? .....

Those hares were moving on, Its difficult to make a true assessment, In my opinion, a lot of the UK dogs would be found wanting, IE, that ground is rock hard, you need pace, great feet, and lungs like bellows, and at least 5 minutes in the tank, (((( A special type of dog, 26" to 28" a good long striding dog, a different kettle of fish, + of course a coursing Brain, ((((( as the old saying goes you breed a dog for the land you run on, Thank you for the video, well done,

A paceySaluki born for the things you describe

• Like 3

Not sure. I haven't hunted where they are running. I've ran in Arizona and done some hiking in Nevada. There are areas that are loaded pretty heavy with hares and some that are not. Others have bunnys and all of them have coyotes, grey fox and bobcats except the really dry areas have no grey fox. Mtn. lions are around but they don't hang out in the flats. I would say there are more hares than any other runnable game.