Knife Sharpener

oil stone and a good steel is the best way to get the sharpest knife and it will stay sharp for longer.anything else is only good for not alot of work.basically there shit.

ive recently brought a dry stone thats done the job tidy. do you think a oil stone would be any better?

i've never used a dry stone,been slaughtering since i left school and use oil stone and a good steel.thats all i've ever used and i can easily shave 100 pigs and skin 35/40 cattle before i need to sharpen it again.you do need a good steel though and there about £100.

Im a Joiner by trade so always sharpening tools and always did it the traditional way with an oilstone for years until I tried a mates DMT stone. I went out and bought a double sided whetstone that same weekend.Its like going from a horse and cart to a motor car,so much quicker,cleaner and the surface of the stone does not hollow away like an oilstone does so you can use a guide as well if needed.DMT are the best on the market so they are expensive but Ive had this same whetstone well over 10 years+.Ive also got a few different sized and different grit dmt files for sharpening other tools like bits,axes etc and they make sharpening so much easier.

Edited by MickC

Im a Joiner by trade so always sharpening tools and always did it the traditional way with an oilstone for years until I tried a mates DMT stone. I went out and bought a double sided whetstone that same weekend.Its like going from a horse and cart to a motor car,so much quicker,cleaner and the surface of the stone does not hollow away like an oilstone does so you can use a guide as well if needed.DMT are the best on the market so they are expensive but Ive had this same whetstone well over 10 years+.Ive also got a few different sized and different grit dmt files for sharpening other tools like bits,axes etc and they make sharpening so much easier.

they are good abit pricey the fine one do put a nice edge on

Here,s a little skinner that I,m just finishing off, have only done this on a belt sander and will give it a final polish up tomorrow, but as it is I have just run it over the front of the news paper, and it sliced straight through to page ten with very little pressure and no tearing

post-102539-0-89612400-1488822517_thumb.jpg

post-102539-0-65078600-1488822532_thumb.jpg