Bull Greyhounds

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One from 20 years ago

The worst thing to happen to the bull x was it became a dick extension to dicks that didn't work or test them for what they were bred for and then bred them to any old shite because of a name way bac

Posted Images

A proper big bull x is a lot to handle if he is a proper game dog , some people have no need for that size and gameness, in all honesty you don't need a big bull x for fox it's just to much, that's the reason I am going down the route of properly breed bull whippets , 21" or 22" and properly bred dogs will do for foxes, you kept the gameness of the pit but downsize them a bit which makes them just as game at a fraction of the size, in my eyes a perfectly suitable fox dog.

• Like 1

A proper big bull x is a lot to handle if he is a proper game dog , some people have no need for that size and gameness, in all honesty you don't need a big bull x for fox it's just to much, that's the reason I am going down the route of properly breed bull whippets , 21" or 22" and properly bred dogs will do for foxes, you kept the gameness of the pit but downsize them a bit which makes them just as game at a fraction of the size, in my eyes a perfectly suitable fox dog.

Not everyone who's working bull x is using them to take things with teeth but I get what your saying if your only catching a few a season you'll do ok with them smaller faster types I expect but when you start giving them a good bit of stick youll see why a lot have tried em and gone back to tried and tested bull /greyhound. Atvb

• Like 3

Would you not say you are narrowing down your options though mate?...........a good big dog will give you a lot more tools in the box than a good little dog do you not think ?

Would you not say you are narrowing down your options though mate?...........a good big dog will give you a lot more tools in the box than a good little dog do you not think ?

Like we only do fox so the cross is suited to us , a smaller dog can kill a fox no problem , I get what your saying and of course it would matter if we were at other game in regards to leg etc

• Like 1

Not everyone who's working bull x is using them to take things with teeth but I get what your saying if your only catching a few a season you'll do ok with them smaller faster types I expect but when you start giving them a good bit of stick youll see why a lot have tried em and gone back to tried and tested bull /greyhound. Atvb

We do a lot more than a few a season , again I think it's down to breeding , a dog that's bred properly will do the task in hand , a lot of people have tried the cross but a lot of people tried any whippet to any pit , no purposely game bred dogs to properly bred whippets , breeding is worth feeding

I'd like to see these fox slaying little lurchers mate. Understand you can have game little ones but no way can they sustain it once out regularly on good foxed ground. Ask them do couple a day then out few times a week. Must be killing different foxes to ones around here.

• Like 1

I'd like to see these fox slaying little lurchers mate. Understand you can have game little ones but no way can they sustain it once out regularly on good foxed ground. Ask them do couple a day then out few times a week. Must be killing different foxes to ones around here.

A terrier can kill a fox , I don't understand why people have this misconception that a big lurcher is needed. As I've said before I've seen small lurchers put big dogs to shame, doing good numbers season after season, pits take stick it's what they are bred to do , for hours on end , they are smaller than a whippet and I've seen plenty pits dispatch a fox well faster than most lurchers , proper bred dogs will and always have continued to prevail.

bollocks a lot to handle ? Has long as your putting the graft there way regular and they have been socialize properly they're no different to any lurcher and there not just decent on teeth they can can and do take all edible better than most when it requires a bit of balls and retrieve live to hand you talk like your handling some IED they do have there limations and certain ground doesn't suit but get a goodun and they will fill your freezer
  • Like 1

A terrier can kill a fox , I don't understand why people have this misconception that a big lurcher is needed. As I've said before I've seen small lurchers put big dogs to shame, doing good numbers season after season, pits take stick it's what they are bred to do , for hours on end , they are smaller than a whippet and I've seen plenty pits dispatch a fox well faster than most lurchers , proper bred dogs will and always have continued to prevail.

difference sully is like getting hit with a light weight boxer and a heavy weight I like to see the job done quicker rather than later
  • Like 2