Bull Whippets

They all look to bulky for their little legs, how are they at running? I can't see why you would choose a Whippet/Bull over a Greyhound/Bull.

If running is on the agenda,with any real purpose,then the infusion of Bull is a wasted exercise, unless its diluted to an extent that makes the Bull a lesser ingredient to the recipe.

The real purpose of running with a catch dog is for it to have enough speed and agility to gain on and overcome its quarry. The Bull possesses everything to do with catching,including bite,tolerance to pain,and sheer desire to secure and maintain a hold far longer in the worst of conditions than any other breed. In short, Bulls answer most questions with there teeth,where a Greyhound does the same with its legs. To turn your point on its head I would suggest that instead of infusing Bull into a strain we should think more of infusing the running skills of Greyhounds into the Bull. I find that the infusion of running blood into a Bull gets him to the job,and you can leave the rest to him.

• Like 8

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The wexford dog . owner very happy with him. 14 months. Lamping rabbits and although hes being held back till hes older he found himself a bit of trouble and went well. Owner has high hopes from what

Posted Images

It's good points you've made there bud for sure, but what about if you only wanted a smaller version of a bull grey ? I do a lot of ferreting and my dogs don't lose a lot of speed through cover, a larger dog wouldn't manage that ? Horses for courses I suppose

It's good points you've made there bud for sure, but what about if you only wanted a smaller version of a bull grey ? I do a lot of ferreting and my dogs don't lose a lot of speed through cover, a larger dog wouldn't manage that ? Horses for courses I suppose

I have to say those little dogs around cover allways seem to get something rolled over owned a small bull/grey about 23tts had allsorts of venison on big bracken banks and around bramble and heavy woodland sport of kings.

• Like 3

i remember when f1,,,,first cross proper pit bulls,,crossed with a greyhound,,,were only around the 22-25 inch range,,,most bitches being 22-23 inch,,,and dogs a little bigger,,,ive always wondered how these big 27 inch types come from,,,as real pit bulls are not that tall,,,,im going back to the late 80,s and early 90's when me and my mates had them....they were fast agile athletec dogs ,,

• Like 9

thats possibly what it is mate,,line bred stuff,,although my mate whos big in to his bull crosses,,always reconed it was down to mastive,,,or american bulldog blood being added,,,

heres a pic of one of his,,,this is a good few years ago now,,,as shes been dead many years,,and its not the best pic of her cos shes sat down,,,the black bitch was half pit,,,the other half was 3/4 grey 1/4 whipp......shes next to my 1/4 kelpie x 3/4 whipp/grey bitch who was the same hight,,but a few pounds havier believe it or not...

and that black bitch ,,had an incredible nose daytime... :yes:

DSCF1336.jpg

• Like 7

i remember when f1,,,,first cross proper pit bulls,,crossed with a greyhound,,,were only around the 22-25 inch range,,,most bitches being 22-23 inch,,,and dogs a little bigger,,,ive always wondered how these big 27 inch types come from,,,as real pit bulls are not that tall,,,,im going back to the late 80,s and early 90's when me and my mates had them....they were fast agile athletec dogs ,,

The tallness comes from the Greyhound and so does a lot of the weight. Pitbulls vary a lot in size and shape (but not to that extent) and also in attitude how they go about work. Some are laid back quite boys and others are hyperactive buzz saws. To my way of thinking anything more greyhound than 5/8 s and 26 at shoulder is too much grey. A bull lurcher should want to do more than hold imo. The only way to breed them is in and line breeding to retain the desired traits others have worked hard to create. I think they are already becoming rare which ironically is due to there over popularity a few years ago and the inevitable scatter breeding that takes place through greed and ignorance.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The bigger bull crosses come from pet bulls. Blues/ or being bred simply because they're ed noses etc

They're what most people *imagine* bulls to be but are always bigger and heavier

That being said, they do add enough power and strength and drive to get the job done. But they're no game dogs

• Like 1

Lovely pair of dogs ! What size are they ? How are they at home ? ( Looking to get a nice mooching dog since I moved here, loads of rabbits about but terrain can be on the rough side, lots of brush and only small fields.)

ATB !

There both 21 tts but I no longer have the bitch as the begin fighting and I had to make a decision so I choose my black dog which I've had since a pup.