Hi guys...

I'm thinking of getting an allotment but don't have a clue on where to start with one could anyone give me any pointers as to where to start when I actually aquire one... it will be somewhere I can go to get away from Mrs and kids for a few hours too lol

Weed as no doubt it will be neglected when you get it, double dig the soil i.e. Dig 2 spade lengths down remove all weeds /roots etc

Only plant what you like and will eat ,its to easy to get overwhelmed by seed packets an grow stuff you don't even like,

Don't keep anything sentimental or valuable on it as it allotments attract thieves an vandals .

• Like 2

Weed as no doubt it will be neglected when you get it, double dig the soil i.e. Dig 2 spade lengths down remove all weeds /roots etc

Only plant what you like and will eat ,its to easy to get overwhelmed by seed packets an grow stuff you don't even like,

Don't keep anything sentimental or valuable on it as it allotments attract thieves an vandals .

thanks mate... I guess it's just a case of learning as you go Aswell as speaking to people in the know

thanks mate... I guess it's just a case of learning as you go Aswell as speaking to people in the know
when you get somewhere and know what you want to grow put pic up then others on here can advise ,I'm no expert but there's people on here that grow lot of produce. Also look at neighbouring plots and talk to people,some might want to be left alone , some will be happy to rest an chat ,tell you what doesn't seem to grow well there or what diseases there might be in the soil.
  • Like 1

Once you have dug the whole thing over manure half, cover with black plastic and forget about it till next year. This way you'll have some nice ground ready next year and can ease yourself in this year on the other half, a whole allotment can be daunting to a newbie and it can become too much work quickly!

go to the estate office in wentwoth put ya name down or hoyland town hall even try barnsley council get on a list and keep pestering them

I was phoning every month to see where on list I was, bumped into the council lady and association fella when they were doing a walk around introduced myself showed I was desperate for one,pointed out they had a few neglected plots and TBH I reckon I got bumped up the list,

As said it depends what you get a old neglected allotment will be full of weeds double dig it manure it and plant potatoes as there called a weed free plant as your always earthing them up so you dont get a lot of weeds and that will give you time to tend to the rest of the plot . then you might be lucky and get a plot somebodys just gave up as its to much for them as said just grow what you like the other allotment holders will tell you what grows on that ground and what your no using cover with carpets to keep the weeds down maybe even half a plot would do to get you started