What Breed Of Lurcher

Google it.bitch mates with 2 dogs, half the Pups can be sired by each dog. Same goes for cats and pigs.

someone I know was planning to breed this way as due to location and age of sires the clock was ticking. he planned on dna testing the pups at a later day. Dont think it ever happened but was a serious plan[/quote

i had it with pigs once. Litter of 8, 4 pure females 4 mongrel males!!

I read, and I don't know how true it is, but that after a couple of gens you can start to lose size if you keep it real close?.......is this true?

I think you start losing everything size strength vigour durability......the old saying is inbreeding doubles your qualities but trebles your faults in gamedogs i remember seeing some terrible physical specimens in the pursuit of gameness for that reason.....i imagine it work the same in all breeds.

• Like 2

Again, just something I read, but it was something along the lines of a good rule of thumb is in twice then look to go out......would you say that makes sense?

I think it depends on selection as like i say 2 inbred dogs from totally unrelated stock can have virtually nothing in common as the amount of variables are so huge.........meaning it can withstand heavier inbreeding than inbred dogs off loosely linebred dogs say......i always thought an outcross of 2 inbred family dogs produced the best performance dogs but again.....whether that would work in Lurchers im not so sure as by their very nature lines are not set as families.

• Like 4

Just as an example of what im on about Wilf .... a well known gamedog breeder in Holland some years ago proved it by breeding the poorer performing siblings of a champion family bred dog.......and actually produced equal if not better dogs from the lesser performing dogs.......hence the term " its all in the genes " really does hold true.....different thing i know but you,ll get the logic.....i think if you inbreed on a totally scatterbred dog you can inbreed for many generations just as long as you are very selective.

• Like 1

Some of you lads have great knowledge and it all a bit complicated for the likes of me but I suppose if you stick to breeding the est to the best and culling hard and ruthless you will end up with a few really good specimens.

Just as an example of what im on about Wilf .... a well known gamedog breeder in Holland some years ago proved it by breeding the poorer performing siblings of a champion family bred dog.......and actually produced equal if not better dogs from the lesser performing dogs.......hence the term " its all in the genes " really does hold true.....different thing i know but you,ll get the logic.....i think if you inbreed on a totally scatterbred dog you can inbreed for many generations just as long as you are very selective.

so can the brother to the best produce as good as his brother who is far better ?

so can the brother to the best produce as good as his brother who is far better ?

Definitely thats what the chap proved....but thats only within family breeding where you are stamping in certain traits and stacking the genetic odds in your favour of course.......for anything else it totally go,s against logic as Wilf said breeding best to best and culling the crap is the best you can do with unrelated dogs.

And thats not knowledge Wilf its purely my opinion on observations and the way ive seen things unfold over the years im not saying im right :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2

I have sat and spoken with Downsouth off here a few times and the blokes knowledge of breeding and lines is really sonething, he is like an encyclopaedia.

I admire lads that have such an interest as to accumulate that much knowledge.

I don't think he will think me rude if I say I was lost after a bit :)

breeding will

Definitely thats what the chap proved....but thats only within family breeding where you are stamping in certain traits and stacking the genetic odds in your favour of course.......for anything else it totally go,s against logic as Wilf said breeding best to best and culling the crap is the best you can do with unrelated dogs.

And thats not knowledge Wilf its purely my opinion on observations and the way ive seen things unfold over the years im not saying im right :thumbs:

i get ya its never been like

I can remember Limey writing an article on geno/phenotyping using colour. He claimed that certain traits that he wanted were in combo with a certain colouration or look. His writings may have been hard to read but he knew what he was talking about regarding the dogs.

• Like 1