Toilet Material....

When my ferret's lived in separate smaller groups, I used those puppy pad things, but now I've got them all living peacefully together, and they're getting through no end of them !

Ive heard so many conflicting answers, so....once and for all -

Can I safely use newspaper for their toilet corner ?

Mine shit through wire floor in corner onto tray underneath, if different set up could use cat litter tray with crystal litter(lasts a lot longer).Don't know about newspaper,but use to get fish and chips in it so wouldn't be that toxic.

I use the same method a wire strip at the end which lets the crap drop through to a seed tray full of sand or saw dust peat etc. But it needs to be strong weld mesh or cut the bottom from of a supper market trolly, the ferret seem to know what to do and the rest of the area says clean.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry

I have a tray screwed to a flat board that they can't move then another tray the same size seated in that one full of saw dust. So I can just lift the tray out empty and replace

12125353246_2d4d9b281e_z.jpg

news paper doesn't seem the best choice and messy I would have thought

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

My old huts had mesh on them when they where at my dads as he was out the way and the chickens would scratch about in the ferrets scat there was a 1/4 layer then under that 1inch mesh after i had to replace the mesh twice as there pee rots it i thought this isnt for me and put plywood floors in both the hutches

What size mesh did you use I've got some at work but thinking it might be too big and there legs would fall through?

I use 1'x1" weld mesh heaver the better, as I mentioned like the bottom of a super market trolly.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1

Dont use crystal cat litter or clumping. If they swallow it or it gets inside their "bits" its gonna cause a blockage. I use woodbased if you have an home bargains near you they sell 15litre bag for 3 quid. If not try wilko. I use pets at home shavings for other ferrets cause their dust extracted. I use large cat trays and big square potting trays from b & q for big hobs. I deffo would not put any of mi ne at risk of getting their limbs trapped in mesh. Lazy way. Clean daily use disinfectant. I also use some cat litter powdee sprinkle it under litter or shavings absorbs pee smell.

Hope this helps

Dont use crystal cat litter or clumping. If they swallow it or it gets inside their "bits" its gonna cause a blockage. I use woodbased if you have an home bargains near you they sell 15litre bag for 3 quid. If not try wilko. I use pets at home shavings for other ferrets cause their dust extracted. I use large cat trays and big square potting trays from b & q for big hobs. I deffo would not put any of mi ne at risk of getting their limbs trapped in mesh. Lazy way. Clean daily use disinfectant. I also use some cat litter powdee sprinkle it under litter or shavings absorbs pee smell.

Hope this helps

Each to there own mate. I've kept ferrets for over fifty years and never had a limb trapped in the mesh in all that time. Their kept clean dry warm out for a run every day and fed well thats the main thing.

Cheers Arry