Hw99S Out The Box Vs Home Tune Review

It's gonna turn out to be a decent thread this...

Lots of images, images, IMAGES! :) even though we've all seen enough 99's to last us a life time. Most have owned one. IMAGES god dammit.

attachicon.gifIMG_0252.PNG :)
The opportunity was there to do so much more with that rich. So much more.

Of all the images you could think of, you think of a flake...

Get ya 99 hydro'd mate on second thoughts :D

I thought I would kill off the the 99 and flake gag before someone else come steam rolling in with it ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are a very nice stock for a 99 This is my SFS IMP

Hello all,   Today I picked up my weihrauch HW99s after waiting a week for it to be delivered, I chose the 0.177 caliber as all my other rifles are 0.177 and tbh I love that pellet choice. I have re

Dont be offering to go deep with him mate, he will be round in his leather mask.

Posted Images

As I am impatient I decided to book myself in at the range for an hour rather then wait tomorrow, so I wanted to see what she was like to shoot, cock and handle as well as finding the right pellet for her. I only had a few different brand pellets to work with but I think she likes some of what I had.

post-104316-0-06240200-1487790613_thumb.jpg

I plan to try air arms diablio as well as JSB exacts when I next do a bulk order of pellets just to see if she likes them but for the time being I'm working with what I have and below are my 5shot groups. I didnt re zero after changing brands as I only cared about group sizing rather then placement.

post-104316-0-70676500-1487790751_thumb.jpg

From what I can tell I would say she fires best with the biesley superfields so for the time being that is what I'm going to work with but this test is not over yet as I think there is another brand that might have tighter groups. I suppose that's what makes getting a new rifle fun, finding out what pallets she likes, how hold sensitive she isn't etc.

I would say I prob shot over 100 shots today so I feel I have a little knowledge regarding how she handles and her pros and cons...

Cocking...takes some effort to break the barrel and cock into lock, also on the down stroke just before locking into place you can defo hear some grinding,

Muzzle noise...she does have more of a bark then I first thought, hearing the other rifles fire around me just emphasised how loud she is.

Trigger...no complaints what so ever, first stage travel is perfect and a predictable sencond stage break. Defo does not need any work on it, weihrauch know how to make a perfect trigger straight out the box, not saying a professional couldn't make it sweeter because I believe they can but for me I'm happy so I will jot be taking this apart when I fettle her

Accuracy...I'm going to compare her to my HW77K what has been tuned and all I can say is that I need more hours shooting her before I can really say how accurate she is and how hold sensitive she is. My HW77k is spot on and I'm shocked how accurate it is, itbeats my pcp most times. The Is HW99s is not at that's standard yet but it prob is the shooter and bthe cause I have not degreased and fettle her I'm sure I can improve locktime etc

Recoil...for a light rifle I expected her to be a little jumpy but recoil is minimal but there is a slight twang, again this will be virtually irradiated once I get the rifle apart.

Fun factor...the HW99s is a great little rifle to shot and once I get to know her characteristics better I believe she will be spot on which in turn will put a massive smile on my face. She's light,sleek and an ideal first rifle. I must say though I do prefer an underleaver and the extra weight an under lever brings only aids in accuracy but when it comes to taking standing shots (which I am really really bad on) the HW99s will be a nicer experience to shot and in time I believe will be more accurate.

Now I've had a shoot and had a little play I'm going to start the process of fettle going her and polishing internals. I realise I'll still have prob 4 weeks to wait for my WW kit but now I'm a 3 rifle man I can afford to have a rifle in bits as I have others I can still go the range with.

So hopefully at the weekend I'll have it stripped and lots of pictures of the internals before and after so you can see my QC in comparison to Weihrauch.

I do want to add though that if I never had the confidence to home tune would I be happy with what weihrauch produce out of the box...YES 100% it's only when you look at the internals do you then realise a few minutes extra TLC before the rifle gets the OK stamp would mean the customers would not see the need to home tune. Either way weihrauch have a massive following and I am one of their fans that will stick with them because they are beautiful accurate rifles and out the box they are still better the most of the rest...well that's my opinion :)

So hopefully some more updates in the coming days

ATB

Richard

Edited by Richard Collett
  • Like 1

#1 add a Welsh willy drop in kit.

Job done.

#6 Can be done when you do #3 after youve done #7 :)

#2 is a bit of a mission for what you actually get back, Ive had my sears done on my 97, and to be honest, it was a waste of time. If you've not done it before, it'll stress you out.

#5 is homosexual

Keep us updated.

:D

Hahaha cheers mate I'll leave the hydro dipping to airsoft boys.

I did see the photos of the carbon wrap jimmy (bigmac97kt) did on the day state and I must say that did look awesome, I'm glad you said that about the trigger because it was something I wanted to do but the rekord trigger is awesome as it is and I didn't really want that stress tbh so I'm happy to give that a miss.

Just finished the scope to day well nearly ran out of carbon wrap for the bit under the lamp

so will have to get some more

you will need a hair dryer to make it more supple and easier to apply

atvbjimmy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

post-63400-0-85131100-1487794060.jpg

post-63400-0-07156700-1487794071.jpg

• Like 2

Job done.

#2 is a bit of a mission for what you actually get back, Ive had my sears done on my 97, and to be honest, it was a waste of time. If you've not done it before, it'll stress you out.

#5 is homosexual

Keep us updated.

I did see the photos of the carbon wrap jimmy (bigmac97kt) did on the day state and I must say that did look awesome, I'm glad you said that about the trigger because it was something I wanted to do but the rekord trigger is awesome as it is and I didn't really want that stress tbh so I'm happy to give that a miss.

Just finished the scope to day well nearly ran out of carbon wrap for the bit under the lamp

Mate you have done an awesome job on that carbon wrap, to say I love it is an understatement. What's the chances of rust forming under the wrap?

• Like 1

Job done.

#5 is homosexual

Keep us updated.

Mate you have done an awesome job on that carbon wrap, to say I love it is an understatement. What's the chances of rust forming under the wrap?

If you do it right and seal the ends none, use the hair dryer and press down on the ends and under the barrel where the seams join i over lap them just a touch heat the seams up and run some thing along the seam that is hard and flat to seal them .

Its not much of a bother on the DS as its fitted with a alloy shroud ,and most mods are alloy to as are the scopes

just take your time with it and she will be good

and if you do get court out in the rain just give her a good drying and stand her in the corner of a room for a few hours

but not in the gun slip ,

I had this out in all weathers and she never got one bit of rust on her and she was wrapped in cloth camo tape

post-63400-0-24172800-1487795159.jpg

post-63400-0-02567400-1487795170.jpg

• Like 1

Job done.

#5 is homosexual

Keep us updated.

If you do it right and seal the ends none, use the hair dryer and press down on the ends and under the barrel where the seams join i over lap them just a touch heat the seams up and run some thing along the seam that is hard and flat to seal them .

Its not much of a bother on the DS as its fitted with a alloy shroud ,and most mods are alloy to as are the scopes

just take your time with it and she will be good

and if you do get court out in the rain just give her a good drying and stand her in the corner of a room for a few hours

but not in the gun slip ,

I had this out in all weathers and she never got one bit of rust on her and she was wrapped in cloth camo tape

That's great advise there mate and you even saved me asking my next question when you get court out in the rain haha MysticMac ;) I do like the carbon look and you have done a cracking job there mate. Now that's something I will consider doing. This place is great for ideas and inspiration :thumbs: Edited by Richard Collett
  • Like 1

Richard try the jsb exacts mate or the jsb heavy's in her Mitch put me onto the heavy's and the hw100 loves them both .

iv never try,d the heavy's in any springers but as soon as i get a tin ill try them in the tx to see what there like

Mitch will tell you if he has try,d them in a springer one thing he dose know is his pellets and what rifle likes and dose not like them .

if you dont have any of the exacts pm me your addy and post code ill send you a tin down

• Like 1