Hw99S Out The Box Vs Home Tune Review

Hello all,

Today I picked up my weihrauch HW99s after waiting a week for it to be delivered, I chose the 0.177 caliber as all my other rifles are 0.177 and tbh I love that pellet choice. I have read a lot of reviews and forum posts regarding this rifle and from what I reasearched this rifle is a little dark horse.

I've read power output can be a problem and the 0.22 is a better rifle to tune but that being said I still want to get the very best out of is rifle, so the day I brought it I also perchased a Welsh willy drop in kit and plan to home fettle her and see if I can make an awesome project gun that performs just as good as my HW77k.

So with the WW kit on order I am going to have a month or so wait before that gets sent to me, I was in two minds weather to take her apart straight away and degrease, polish internals etc or to keep her as it is and when my drop in kit arrives do it all in one go. I decided to leave her as she is, give an honest review and then do a comparison once I've given her a service and see the difference between the two.

Unfortunately because of the wait this thread is going to be something I'll keep coming back to and adding information as and when things develop but it's a mini project I can't wait to get stuck into.

Up until 6/7 months ago I hadn't shot a rifle since I was a little boy so have taken to this sport like a duck to water and considering I'm not great at DIY etc I've chosen to home tune myself. I did with my HW77 and learnt a lot from it so I'm quite confident this time round that some of the problems I encountered before I'll have the solutions without asking you lads for help, but please give me your inputs, ideas, and any advise you have to offer.

There's been a few ideas I have thought about regarding this rifle and what I could do to her, I've read a lot on forums and watched a lot on you tube on how to do it should I go down that route, worst case I can always send it to a rifle gunsmith and they can make it right again.

So Below are some of my ideas not in order.... might be good, might be bad I'm open to ideas and suggestions and other then adding in a drop in kit and fettle the internals all the others are just ideas, some based on the SFS version HW99s IMP (am aware tony will only IMP the 0.22)

#1 add a Welsh willy drop in kit

#2 take apart rekord trigger and polish sears (nervous about this one but have 2 triggers now)

#3 shortening barrel and re crowning

#4 play about with the stock (re finish,pyography,engraving)

#5 hydro dipping

#6 would love to have my barrel with a 1/2 inch unf so I can add a moderator

#7 remove open sights and add scope

Ok so I have shot 5 shots tonight at home to test things and the first thing that is needed is a clean, can smell diesling from the off so going to get my cleaning gear out and give the barrel a good clean. What surprised me was how quiet she is and little recoil is felt...I am going to guesstimate she is putting out between 10ft/lb and 10.50ft/lb .

I have booked myself in at the range on Thursday so will do some pellet testing to find out if she is pellet fussy and to find what she groups best with. I will then put her through the chrono and see what's she's putting out and then can give my true first impressions.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope I can make this an interesting thread for you

ATB

Richard

• Like 4

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are a very nice stock for a 99 This is my SFS IMP

Hello all,   Today I picked up my weihrauch HW99s after waiting a week for it to be delivered, I chose the 0.177 caliber as all my other rifles are 0.177 and tbh I love that pellet choice. I have re

Dont be offering to go deep with him mate, he will be round in his leather mask.

Posted Images

#1 add a Welsh willy drop in kit.

Job done.

#6 Can be done when you do #3 after youve done #7 :)

#2 is a bit of a mission for what you actually get back, Ive had my sears done on my 97, and to be honest, it was a waste of time. If you've not done it before, it'll stress you out.

#5 is homosexual

Keep us updated.

:D

• Like 3

Sounds bloody good this richard.

Wonky donky has kits ready to post now I spoke to him the other day and iv heared from many hw99 fans his kits the best for 99s. £45 posted and ready to drop in too.

I'd fit a vortek piston seal and size it to your tube yourself with fine wet and dry so it moves super smooth.

I wouldent shorten a .177 hw99 my brother did it and really struggled to get good power out of it without a lot of pre load and then that spoiled the shot cycle.

Also i wouldent bother stripping the trigger I'd just polish the latch sear and the piston rod sear and set your trigger how you like it.

Looking forwards to hearing more!

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to this thread developing Rich :yes:

In my opinion - go nuts mate, do it all (not the hydrodipping though - I'm with Rez on that).

You want it as a project - chuck everything at :yes:

...... I reckon you'll do alright :thumbs:

Atb and good luck

• Like 1

#1 add a Welsh willy drop in kit.

Job done.

#6 Can be done when you do #3 after youve done #7 :)

#2 is a bit of a mission for what you actually get back, Ive had my sears done on my 97, and to be honest, it was a waste of time. If you've not done it before, it'll stress you out.

#5 is homosexual

Keep us updated.

:D

Hahaha cheers mate I'll leave the hydro dipping to airsoft boys.

I did see the photos of the carbon wrap jimmy (bigmac97kt) did on the day state and I must say that did look awesome, I'm glad you said that about the trigger because it was something I wanted to do but the rekord trigger is awesome as it is and I didn't really want that stress tbh so I'm happy to give that a miss.

• Like 2

Sounds bloody good this richard.

Wonky donky has kits ready to post now I spoke to him the other day and iv heared from many hw99 fans his kits the best for 99s. £45 posted and ready to drop in too.

I'd fit a vortek piston seal and size it to your tube yourself with fine wet and dry so it moves super smooth.

I wouldent shorten a .177 hw99 my brother did it and really struggled to get good power out of it without a lot of pre load and then that spoiled the shot cycle.

Also i wouldent bother stripping the trigger I'd just polish the latch sear and the piston rod sear and set your trigger how you like it.

Looking forwards to hearing more!

Another member on here advised me to get a vortek piston and gave me a contact so plan to give him a call, regarding shortening the barrel I have read on other forums exactly the same information and that's why SFS won't put their name to the 0.177....I'll take your advise on board there and before I put a hacksaw to my barrel I want to make sure it will improve the rifle. Cheers mate top advise there

That will have been charlie caller - he started me on the vorteck seals. The guy who sells them is a real gent too.

This week I been talking to a guy who has 600 quid in his 99 - glided piston the full works! I bet that's a bueaty of a 99. Good luck with your project!

• Like 2

That will have been charlie caller - he started me on the vorteck seals. The guy who sells them is a real gent too.

This week I been talking to a guy who has 600 quid in his 99 - glided piston the full works! I bet that's a bueaty of a 99. Good luck with your project!

Yes mate Charlie suggested it to me so I'm going to give him a call after payday and get one ordered.

So I've just give the barrel a clean with Napier pull through kit I have and as expected it needed one, this was my first pull through

post-104316-0-61539000-1487710769_thumb.jpg

I've decided not to remove the open sights because I don't like to look with bits sticking out so I've kept the open sights on and that's fine with me as i can always revert back to that should my scope ever break for whatever reason. Taking about scopes I've added a Nikon Stirling mount master illuminated AO 3-9x40 on a hawke one piece mount.

post-104316-0-81095700-1487710850_thumb.jpg

post-104316-0-81483100-1487710867_thumb.jpg

I put a couple of shots through the chrono and she was firing at 748fps / 752fps what's about 10.5ft/lb so straight out the box she's firing at a respectable power output. Hopefully the WW kit will raise it to 11ft/lb but either way this spring ain't bedded it yet so would expect the standard weihrauch spring to finish around that mark anyways.

Cocking the rifle is sweet, no gailing or grinding sounds, again I hope to improve this once I fettle her, still takes some of force though to cock her but nothing to bad as it's a smooth motion.

Regarding the stock, I love the pistol grip with the little thumb dimple at the top and a mixture of checkering and stippling that's nice,

post-104316-0-77663200-1487711520_thumb.jpg

Same with the forehand but why did weihrauch spoil it by adding their logo...remove that both sides and checker and stipple it and there would be no complaints.

post-104316-0-64595300-1487711628_thumb.jpg

But overall the stock and rifle itself is sleek, smooth and light and nimble and now I'm thinking twice about re finishing it/engraving (I have an old bsa century stock what I will play with and one day post it up here and if it's shit you boys will tell me and that way I won't spoil this one cus it is a lovely stock.

And here she is waiting to go the range on Thursday and do some test shooting

post-104316-0-36515000-1487711891_thumb.jpg

ATB

Richard

Edited by Richard Collett

It's gonna turn out to be a decent thread this...

Lots of images, images, IMAGES! :) even though we've all seen enough 99's to last us a life time. Most have owned one. IMAGES god dammit.

attachicon.gifIMG_0252.PNG :)
The opportunity was there to do so much more with that rich. So much more.

Of all the images you could think of, you think of a flake...

Get ya 99 hydro'd mate on second thoughts :D

• Like 1