Teaching Kids To Ride A Bike.

Surely, your mum or dad teaching you to ride a bike is one of the last remaining rites of passage ? A bonding experience, even ? A basic skill, passed down the generations.

60% of parents now claim to be too busy to teach their kids to ride a bike (!), so many are now engaging professionals - at 20 quid an hour - to get their kids on 2 wheels.

Obviously, Cycling Proficiency is important, to learn road safety and negotiating traffic, and that comes later, but paying to learn to balance a bike without stabilisers ? Really ?

http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/glasgow/learn/cycle-training/

My dad taught my eldest lad as they have a long drive so it was safe for the lad to learn there, my other lad who is 7 years younger just got fed up of the stabilisers holding him back on his bike took them off so he could keep up with his brother & his mates , the older lad was spitting feathers having his 7 year old brother tagging along :laugh:

• Like 1

My youngest boy is 24 now but as a young one I remember taking his stabilisers off and taking him for his first proper bike ride, I live on a dual carriage way and the pavement is a cycle path on one side and a pedestrian path on the other, so off we go wobbling off along the cycle path only to be blocked off by one of the neighbours who seems to think it's a carpark for him, he then came out and started shouting at us for riding on the pavement, when I told him were to go he went into his garage and came running out waving a pick handle at me and my kids, so I planted him firmly on his ass which then had all the neighbours out for a look, and a bit of amateur refereeing, needless to say my boy will never forget his first bike ride , I still get reminded of it from time to time , 17 years on the neighbour still has not spoke a single word to me, you can't get those memory,s for £20 an hour and my son is still my best mate it's all part of life's bonding process, good or bad we done it together

My elder son took to his bike at 4 with the minimum of help. My other son is only 13 months younger (who said a woman can't get pregnant when she's breast feeding) was jealous as f**k cos he couldn't master two wheels the same as his brother could. So I spent hours and hours teaching him until finally I let go of his seat and said 'you are on your own son, you're balancing all by yourself'. Cue misty -eyed father, violin music and a chuffed son ? No, he looked back, called me a 'f****n b*****d' and said he was going to 'kill me.' He then fell off and ran to attack me. I fell about laughing and he stormed off. it was another two or three months before he got back on a bike. Foul mouthed, little, ungrateful shit. Must get it from his mother.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1