Breed Most Valued In A Lurcher

saluki greyhound a good base for any line of lurcher

Id wish for a more stable and tested base.

between the two there thousands of years of breeding an there still going strong you couldnt ask for a better base apart from a well worked first x off the two, after that you could go in any direction, up or down for any quarry you hunt an do away with whatever traits annoy you

Your not wrong mucker,i don,t have the patience for the Saluki in lurcher breeding,yet i admire the collie in the mix,even i don,t understand that logic.

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends if you're trying to turbocharge a collie, or add an engine management system to greyhound.

A good mixed breed lurcher with a bit of alsorts in it worker x worker, genetics don't work in percentages anyway

Where would the lurcher world be without the Greyhound

ballyreagen bob.he must come into it.

Ballyregan Bob was a non producer,he never produced ANYTHING of note when it came to greyhound's so why would anyone think his blood would or did improve lurchers beats me..As for breed most valued,bull x's in general are to slow,make a 3/4 bred & they have no wind,shite feet & they are in general one dimensional jukels,beddy's are great wee dogs with bucket loads of drive but bred with Grey or Whippet we often get poor jackets,yapping twats too which is quite a common trait,collie's well we all know about their stalking,picking & choosing of runs lol,deerhounds are big slow no good for nothing show ponies,Saluki's are brain dead sheep chasing b*****ds..What does that leave us with? Not a lot lol they all come with traits that one man may live with & work around where as another man would cull in the blink of an eye.Tools for the job at hand,you wouldn't send an electrician to plaster a wall,dogs are no different,if you were to look for a "handyman" type of dog the Saluki lurcher would be an asset rather than a hindrance in my little experience of keeping lurchers.They ALL have their strengths & weaknesses,do your homework,choose wisely or breed for your needs,simple as that really

Yes Andy I agree Ballyreagan Bob produced nothing in the greyhound world and agree with you breed for your needs.

I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here and say that a decent pure bread working whippet is more than capable of tackling MOST quarry (pre ban). But if I was after bigger stuff then my personal choice would be a Bull Greyhound.

I've got a Beddy/Grey and a Pure Whip. Both good at different things. Beddy/Grey is a touch faster and taller than the Whip and she is a lot easier to get about with because she is tall enough to jump any gate or fence and she doesn't leave my side (unless I make a hissing sound when there is something to run at). Perfect night time dog! The pure whippet 'has his own head' and likes to have his head down and hunt with scent, very good at marking and if there is a brown in the field he raises it every time! He can run on a sixpence and often shows up the lurcher if they run together. The reason that I rate the pure bred whippet as a hunter is because of the combination of scent, sight, agility & prey drive which for me and the quarry that I hunt is exactly what I need!

atb BBB

• Like 2

Australian staghound,feet ,coat,hunt and bush sense.Crossed with whippet,speed,balls,agility.To me the ultimate rabbit dog(also have a go at fox,pigs,hares).Good dogs on hard, rough ground over here.

Mate!! That sounds like an awsome mix!! I like the look of them staghounds! How fast are they? (in comparison to a whippet)

Australian staghound,feet ,coat,hunt and bush sense.Crossed with whippet,speed,balls,agility.To me the ultimate rabbit dog(also have a go at fox,pigs,hares).Good dogs on hard, rough ground over here.

Mate!! That sounds like an awsome mix!! I like the look of them staghounds! How fast are they? (in comparison to a whippet)

Maybe not as quick as the whippet but a lot more stamina.My two 3/4 whippet 1/4 stags and mates first cross are faster,tougher and bonier than the whippets ive seen run,work better with the ferrets and less injury prone.Though we don't have the numbers of hunters with running dogs that you have in the UK and probably not the quality of whippets.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1

Where would the lurcher world be without the Greyhound

ballyreagen bob.he must come into it.
Ballyregan Bob was a non producer,he never produced ANYTHING of note when it came to greyhound's so why would anyone think his blood would or did improve lurchers beats me..As for breed most valued,bull x's in general are to slow,make a 3/4 bred & they have no wind,shite feet & they are in general one dimensional jukels,beddy's are great wee dogs with bucket loads of drive but bred with Grey or Whippet we often get poor jackets,yapping twats too which is quite a common trait,collie's well we all know about their stalking,picking & choosing of runs lol,deerhounds are big slow no good for nothing show ponies,Saluki's are brain dead sheep chasing b*****ds..What does that leave us with? Not a lot lol they all come with traits that one man may live with & work around where as another man would cull in the blink of an eye.Tools for the job at hand,you wouldn't send an electrician to plaster a wall,dogs are no different,if you were to look for a "handyman" type of dog the Saluki lurcher would be an asset rather than a hindrance in my little experience of keeping lurchers.They ALL have their strengths & weaknesses,do your homework,choose wisely or breed for your needs,simple as that really ?
nobody really breeds off stayers-ballyregan bob never got a whole lot of bitches-would have done betterin america.

b bob was put to a pure which produced beany i used him on swoop which produced one of the best litters of coursin animals this countrys seen so in my opinion he went to bad just look at most of the top coursin dogs for years most outa joe beany x swoop as max would say fact

• Like 2

here's the crux of I see what Morton says and with f1lurchers ta grey can be very serviceable but ,ain't a grey on the planet tested fa live game work than a good saluki or coursing animal ,we know there may be diversity in the welps but the same can be said of all lurcher nests ,I also know the pit falls of Salukis and there xs breeds but we have I believe we have not seen the best of the saluki with base animals bred for lamping and day time mooching ,likes has fugi says ya picks ya animal for the ground one runs and game or quarry and of course there be no perfect animal ,but how's about producing animals that can be hammered under the lamp and take it in there stride regular and recover quickly from hard nights work,I know there may be animals out there capable of this but has we see they are few and far apart, there should be no reason in this day and age that the consistent mouchers of large bags of rabbis are common ,the reason they are not his fa the very reason of the f1this and the f1that animals bred fa a single purpose. There has never been a time has we find ourselves ta day that breed type xes are abundance and this will not do a lurcher any help on the whole. Old school lurchers are the way once again they will reign supreme and perhaps then we shall see we have come full circle ,atb bunnys.

how many salukis will track-guy i worked for sent out a bitch(greyhound/stayer/drominboy diva)-beat any sals she raced-desertbred tells me there are better in his country though.(she went dubai)-shed have been lucky to ever win a race in ireland or england
  • Like 1

here's the crux of I see what Morton says and with f1lurchers ta grey can be very serviceable but ,ain't a grey on the planet tested fa live game work than a good saluki or coursing animal ,we know there may be diversity in the welps but the same can be said of all lurcher nests ,I also know the pit falls of Salukis and there xs breeds but we have I believe we have not seen the best of the saluki with base animals bred for lamping and day time mooching ,likes has fugi says ya picks ya animal for the ground one runs and game or quarry and of course there be no perfect animal ,but how's about producing animals that can be hammered under the lamp and take it in there stride regular and recover quickly from hard nights work,I know there may be animals out there capable of this but has we see they are few and far apart, there should be no reason in this day and age that the consistent mouchers of large bags of rabbis are common ,the reason they are not his fa the very reason of the f1this and the f1that animals bred fa a single purpose. There has never been a time has we find ourselves ta day that breed type xes are abundance and this will not do a lurcher any help on the whole. Old school lurchers are the way once again they will reign supreme and perhaps then we shall see we have come full circle ,atb bunnys.

how many salukis will track-guy i worked for sent out a bitch(greyhound/stayer/drominboy diva)-beat any sals she raced-desertbred tells me there are better in his country though.(she went dubai)-shed have been lucky to ever win a race in ireland or england

Saluki were not bred for the track put a grey out on any other terrain over 1000 yds and see if it beats a fast saluki/ Most of the Salukis the Arabs run a good lurcher would beat them anyway thats why they come here buying secondhand dogs .

Saluki were not bred for the track put a grey out on any other terrain over 1000 yds and see if it beats a fast saluki/ Most of the Salukis the Arabs run a good lurcher would beat them anyway thats why they come here buying secondhand dogs .

Interesting point. I'm not likely to find something like that out from all of the way over here in the USA. Thanks for posting that.

Not all greyhounds are out and out sprinters though tbf they are stayers out there granted not over huge distances but 1000yards is not a lot for some I can think of a bitch we owned a few years back was flying over that distance and well beyond and not just on the sand. Not saying she was durable but it is a bit of a myth that all greys have no wind whatsoever and with I very much doubt a saluki would have beaten her over said distance and she was no world beater in the greyhound world jmo

Interesting point. I'm not likely to find something like that out from all of the way over here in the USA. Thanks for posting that.