Breed Most Valued In A Lurcher

Considering field greys many moons ago were bred ta run live game,I believe sal are in all probability more close ta kin type of animal hastheywerebackthen .hundred pound in weight greys eighty pound track animals, consider this master McGrath Waterloo cup winner on more than one occasion weight around fifty four pound.. Very small in comparison than modern day bred greyhounds. this passion fa electric speed usually takes its toll and when averages are weighed up they steady type can and usually comes out on top in the numbers game ,and inmost likely less time laid up through injuries I have been down the grey route some decades back three terrier bred coursing animals are here and so are herding types be it collie or shepherd ,they have been around a long time and in the back of some great coursing hounds that's a fact , so I sees when we have all before us line bred stock ,wel, there's one thing that must be addered to when breeding tight Neva forget one will always be breeding ta the initial foundation stock.atb bunnys.

• Like 3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends if you're trying to turbocharge a collie, or add an engine management system to greyhound.

A good mixed breed lurcher with a bit of alsorts in it worker x worker, genetics don't work in percentages anyway

not a clue but you would imagine it all starts with a greyhound or a whippet

Greyhound or whippet

Won't get much more commitment than whippet or greyhound...or sighthound in general I don't think.

Yep, whippet and greyhound. Don't need any more drive than what these give. A bit more thinking ability maybe, but definitely no more drive

Here's another question.What would happen if lurcher breeders in general substituted Saluki blood instead of Greyhound or Whippet blood? Would it improve the lurcher or not?

It would be easy enough to dispense with a Saluki and a whippet,even though the Saluki offers much to the lurchers development,the greyhound as and always will be a massive influence on the lurcher,nothing can balance a lineage better than a Greyhound.

Where would the lurcher world be without the Greyhound

ballyreagen bob.he must come into it.

Ballyregan Bob was a non producer,he never produced ANYTHING of note when it came to greyhound's so why would anyone think his blood would or did improve lurchers beats me..As for breed most valued,bull x's in general are to slow,make a 3/4 bred & they have no wind,shite feet & they are in general one dimensional jukels,beddy's are great wee dogs with bucket loads of drive but bred with Grey or Whippet we often get poor jackets,yapping twats too which is quite a common trait,collie's well we all know about their stalking,picking & choosing of runs lol,deerhounds are big slow no good for nothing show ponies,Saluki's are brain dead sheep chasing b*****ds..What does that leave us with? Not a lot lol they all come with traits that one man may live with & work around where as another man would cull in the blink of an eye.Tools for the job at hand,you wouldn't send an electrician to plaster a wall,dogs are no different,if you were to look for a "handyman" type of dog the Saluki lurcher would be an asset rather than a hindrance in my little experience of keeping lurchers.They ALL have their strengths & weaknesses,do your homework,choose wisely or breed for your needs,simple as that really ?

• Like 5

Ballyregan Bob was a non producer,he never produced ANYTHING of note when it came to greyhound's so why would anyone think his blood would or did improve lurchers beats me..As for breed most valued,bull x's in general are to slow,make a 3/4 bred & they have no wind,shite feet & they are in general one dimensional jukels,beddy's are great wee dogs with bucket loads of drive but bred with Grey or Whippet we often get poor jackets,yapping twats too which is quite a common trait,collie's well we all know about their stalking,picking & choosing of runs lol,deerhounds are big slow no good for nothing show ponies,Saluki's are brain dead sheep chasing b*****ds..What does that leave us with? Not a lot lol they all come with traits that one man may live with & work around where as another man would cull in the blink of an eye.Tools for the job at hand,you wouldn't send an electrician to plaster a wall,dogs are no different,if you were to look for a "handyman" type of dog the Saluki lurcher would be an asset rather than a hindrance in my little experience of keeping lurchers.They ALL have their strengths & weaknesses,do your homework,choose wisely or breed for your needs,simple as that really

I don,t believe a greyhound improves any litter,they are shite hunting dogs,they balance a lurcher lineage that as something else in the mix,collie,Beddy,whippet,Deerhound,Saluki etc.With any litter at some time there needs to be a balance entered that throws some conformity and thats the greyhounds purpose.If i wanted to create a line of lurchers the Greyhound would be the most important starting point,breeding away from it would be the next 3 steps in the development of the line.

• Like 1

Ballyregan Bob was a non producer,he never produced ANYTHING of note when it came to greyhound's so why would anyone think his blood would or did improve lurchers beats me..As for breed most valued,bull x's in general are to slow,make a 3/4 bred & they have no wind,shite feet & they are in general one dimensional jukels,beddy's are great wee dogs with bucket loads of drive but bred with Grey or Whippet we often get poor jackets,yapping twats too which is quite a common trait,collie's well we all know about their stalking,picking & choosing of runs lol,deerhounds are big slow no good for nothing show ponies,Saluki's are brain dead sheep chasing b*****ds..What does that leave us with? Not a lot lol they all come with traits that one man may live with & work around where as another man would cull in the blink of an eye.Tools for the job at hand,you wouldn't send an electrician to plaster a wall,dogs are no different,if you were to look for a "handyman" type of dog the Saluki lurcher would be an asset rather than a hindrance in my little experience of keeping lurchers.They ALL have their strengths & weaknesses,do your homework,choose wisely or breed for your needs,simple as that really

I don,t believe a greyhound improves any litter,they are shite hunting dogs,they balance a lurcher lineage that as something else in the mix,collie,Beddy,whippet,Deerhound,Saluki etc.With any litter at some time there needs to be a balance entered that throws some conformity and thats the greyhounds purpose.If i wanted to create a line of lurchers the Greyhound would be the most important starting point,breeding away from it would be the next 3 steps in the development of the line.

I agree with every word you wrote fella ?

did he not sire caufields joe..and a few other top lines

grandsire, check your thread from other day
  • Like 1

It be f**k all to do with him,it will of been the dams blood which made the dog half useful..Joe's owner even stated the dog weren't worth a carrot in deep ground or didn't even like the wet weather..Typical of a greyhound on both fronts I'd say fella

It be f**k all to do with him,it will of been the dams blood which made the dog half useful..Joe's owner even stated the dog weren't worth a carrot in deep ground or didn't even like the wet weather..Typical of a greyhound on both fronts I'd say fella

yep, was reminding him of his thread

here's the crux of I see what Morton says and with f1lurchers ta grey can be very serviceable but ,ain't a grey on the planet tested fa live game work than a good saluki or coursing animal ,we know there may be diversity in the welps but the same can be said of all lurcher nests ,I also know the pit falls of Salukis and there xs breeds but we have I believe we have not seen the best of the saluki with base animals bred for lamping and day time mooching ,likes has fugi says ya picks ya animal for the ground one runs and game or quarry and of course there be no perfect animal ,but how's about producing animals that can be hammered under the lamp and take it in there stride regular and recover quickly from hard nights work,I know there may be animals out there capable of this but has we see they are few and far apart, there should be no reason in this day and age that the consistent mouchers of large bags of rabbis are common ,the reason they are not his fa the very reason of the f1this and the f1that animals bred fa a single purpose. There has never been a time has we find ourselves ta day that breed type xes are abundance and this will not do a lurcher any help on the whole. Old school lurchers are the way once again they will reign supreme and perhaps then we shall see we have come full circle ,atb bunnys.

• Like 1