Turning A Negative Into A Positive

I got home from my appointment with the speed awareness course at about 9.40 last night feeling that I'd just wasted five hours of my life.
To add insult to injury there was nowhere to park the van. Don't even start me off. Suffice to say, usually when I come home from a nights shooting I have to park on the yellows and set the alarm so so I can use a space vacated by someone going to work before the warden comes round. Doesn't always work.... a couple of weeks back I was so fukced I fell asleep in the chair before I had a chance to set the alarm and woke up at 10.00am :icon_eek: . Fortunately the warden must've been out shooting as well cos I didn't get a ticket :tongue2: . So, to make the best of a bad job I got my gear together and went to a local perm for some therapy.

I ended up with nine bunnies. Should've been more. One must've kicked himself down a hole because even my little Seek couldn't find him and I missed at least three for which I make no excuse. I always seem to go just over the top when I get the range wrong. It sounds better than it was because I took four of those from the gate within 20 mins of getting there and I was out all night. Still, there was a space opposite my house when I got back and the dogs really liked their presents.

Rainham%2015th%20Feb%202017%20008_1.jpg

Here's a pic of my version of quad sticks with nine bunnies and they were unpaunched and really heavy. The benefit of the extra leg is manyfold. Here's a few.

My rifle never lays in the mud and It's always ready to go. After a shot I can warm my hands in my pockets while waiting for them to come back out.

When I have a problem with a misfire or a fail to extract my rifle is already on a work bench and I can use two hands on the problem.

If I have long or difficult shot I can use the extra leg to stabilise the shot so if I wanted to I could pull the trigger without even touching the rifle.

If I have trouble finding a rabbit I only have to go back to the rifle to see exactly where it's pointing.

My rig is heavy with the Archer on the back but when scanning, all I have to do is retract the back leg and just tilt the sticks to spin 360 with no weight on me whatsoever.

I've extolled the virtue of the extra leg various times and it really pisses me off that not one single person has ever commented for good or bad.

Rainham%2015th%20Feb%202017%20011_1.jpg

• Like 1

Does the beans for you Toxo and the dogs are getting some good snap .I,m using a monopod at the minute as my t67 short isnt over heavy ,All these see in the dark add ons have 1 thing in common extra weight for the rickety kneed mature shooter atb

Looks good and impressive.

I think it would be to much for me in the field. The lighter and less cluttered the better for me but I like what I see

Thanks UD. I like your scenario also for daytime. I'm about to put in for two hmrs so I can have a dedicated day/night rig. I have a nice S&B languishing in the cupboard at the moment yearning for a daytime rifle to sit on. Shite for n/vision though.

Does the beans for you Toxo and the dogs are getting some good snap .I,m using a monopod at the minute as my t67 short isnt over heavy ,All these see in the dark add ons have 1 thing in common extra weight for the rickety kneed mature shooter atb

I hear ya BC.

Thing is... all those shooters who can put a three round ragged hole up a chuffs arse at 600yds are either sitting at a bench or are laying on the ground. Those that are laying on the ground ain't getting out much in the winter.

Apart from the extra leg is bloody close to my sticks, different colour tape on the short stick is all ( ran out of black but mate thought it was genius idea I can tell quickly when setting them up, didn't point out can't see the difference in the dark )

So whats the added leg made of, tube and rod with a nut for adjustment and what do you use to fix it to the sticks ? Hoping to shamelessly copy it !!!

Good read as well. :thumbs:

Apart from the extra leg is bloody close to my sticks, different colour tape on the short stick is all ( ran out of black but mate thought it was genius idea I can tell quickly when setting them up, didn't point out can't see the difference in the dark )

So whats the added leg made of, tube and rod with a nut for adjustment and what do you use to fix it to the sticks ? Hoping to shamelessly copy it !!!

Good read as well. :thumbs:

Thanks Paul.

At last someone sees the benefits.

The back leg is simply an adjustable fishing rod rest with a small bolt through the quad stick. You can get them with a small inner rod or a thicker one. Go for the thicker one. Get one with a turn/thumbscrew thingy that's easy to use. Not much more than half a turn needed from loose to locked up. Allow for a spacer washer between the two so they don't rub together. When fully extended with the rifle level you want a fair amount of rake so don't mount it too high. For scanning you want the leg retracted so it doesn't get in the way. The amount of extension depends on the shot. If a difficult shot or you're waiting for a bunny to come clear of the foliage, you can dig it in or just rest on it. I promise you you'll be amazed at the increased stability.

Please come back and let us know how you get on. atb